Paying Bills

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DekeDog, Oct 1, 2019.

1. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

How many of you are old school and pay bills by writing checks and sending them through the post office, and how many use automatic bank draft? I still write checks, pay bills on the 1st and 15th of every month and balance my checkbook before I pay bills at the first of the month. That's the way I've been doing it for 45 years.

How many of you carry cash, and how many use only bank/credit cards for all of your transactions? How many pay in cash at the gas station? I remember when banks were pushing cards and saying how much faster it was to use them. They must have been kidding.

I've heard that many young people today don't even know how to fill out a check, or even how to write in cursive. Is that true? Have I become an anachronism? Do I need to ask you to step off of my lawn?

2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I use my online bill pay through my bank to schedule bills. Sending checks out in the mail is a waste of my time and of my money on stamps. I am old enough to know how to write a check. 99% of the time I use a debit card. Nothing worse than standing behind someone at the grocery store and they pull out their checkbook. As for gas, paying at the pump is way faster than waiting in line to pay inside and most places make you prepay these days to avoid drive-offs.

Also, why do we need cursive? Because it looks pretty? My son is 10 years old and he's learning it in school so it hasn't gone away completely but I don't see much of a point other than signing your name.

Do whatever works for you.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer to deal in cash when I can, its getting harder to do though.
    I still receive all bills through the post and decline to provide email address or mobile number when possible.
    I know the bank and taxes, system owns me, I don't need them calling or emailing me all the time constantly reminding me of that.

SnidelyWhiplash, howardlo and DekeDog like this.
  4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

We write the occasional check, like to our house cleaner and for new tag stickers (our tag agency charges extra for paying with plastic).

Other than that I can't think of many checks I write. A single box will last us a year or more.

I use a rewards card for everything else.

imwjl likes this.
  5. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I send checks in the mail, it’s just easier for me to keep track of. I don’t like when things are taken out automatically

SnidelyWhiplash and DekeDog like this.
  6. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Same with direct deposit, at my last job people called my a grandpa because I would pick up a real paycheck from the front office. There is something more rewarding about seeing the check being given to you. Plus sometimes I wouldn’t make it to the bank and would have two or three checks to put it and it makes ya feel good

DekeDog likes this.
  7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I haven’t carried cash in several years now, basically since I retired from my job in NYC. I use a cash back rewards card for everything and pay off the balance every month.

I also don’t remember when I last wrote a cheque. When bills (via email) arrive I just schedule a payment through my bank’s bill pay function.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I have a no fee / little interest savings account I get thru the state employees credit union, ( university alums qualify) You need to keep $ 100 and make a$10 quarterly deposit. I use this to deposit checks and the occasional cash “windfall” when I sell a guitar or two. My gas card comes out of this automatically ( I get 5-10 cents a gallon off by having this set up. ) I have a ATM card for cash, but not a debit card. I have a credit card for “ emergencies “ and good guitar deals. I write a few “checks”each year, I use USPS money orders , the modest fees are less than checking fees which in this area are borderline usurious..

9. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Oh man!

Online bill pay! I write 1 check for rent and that's it!

I know some think a check is more secure but consider it has ALL your account info right there! Lot's of utilities require SS# and have all your other info. They then hire minimum wage data entry people to handle this! That's secure!

I pay all with a CC automatically. Review CC bill at least once a month and pay that. if discrepancy the CC co. handles it.....

Scooter91, rcole_sooner and dented like this.
  10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

My MIL’s constant belief was that people handled money better when they got a “ pay envelope” W/ cash in it.. she was probably right. Apparently some small firms paid this way in to the ‘70s.

57fenderstrat likes this.
  11. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Checks are dead. Have been for 20 years.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Yes. Yes. And, Yes. ;)

I do 99% of my transactions online or with a card these days. I've only used checks for some home repairs in the past few years although those have been rather large (Sadly, Custom Shop Tele large).

Getting a paper paycheck is also going away quickly. The company I work for only does direct deposit, either to your existing account or to a "cash card" account they'll setup for you through their bank. The good thing about that is that you get your pay a couple of days early.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I do almost everything electronically now. Pay bills online through the bank (although they end up mailing checks on some of those, but I don't), don't carry cash except to the farmer's market and mostly not even then, don't even carry a wallet anymore - i can get a credit card, debit card, Driver's License, and Health Care card in a little compartment in my phone case and that's all I carry 99.9% of the time. I also use Apple Pay waaaaay more than credit or debit and I use it more and more as more places accept it. Will eventually not have to carry credit and debit cards, but for now, still too many places that don't take Apple Pay.

-Ray

14. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

It’s a mixed bag, some checks and some ETFs. A lot of stuff automagically bills to my Alaska Airlines Visa which I then pay off every month. I don’t keep a manual checkbook register any longer, but I keep my accounts reconciled to the penny in Quicken. I try to always keep cash on hand.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We do some of both. Oddly enough, when we pay our homeowners taxes they seem to prefer a check, because they charge fifty bucks to use a credit card or debit card to pay the bill, but accept a check for no charge. I haven't a clue why. No one down there seems to know either.

SnidelyWhiplash and nojazzhere like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

rcole_sooner likes this.
  17. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I haven't been to a bank in years (except for the atm), nor the post office. I have a few accounts on auto- pay, and pay the rest via online banking. I've been using the same book of checks for at least five years, and the last few checks were all to the IRS for income tax, so one check a year.

I stick $100 in my wallet when motocamping for campground fees and "just in case" but still pay for just about everything with a card.

Life has enough minor inconveniences. Why not avoid as many as possible?

rcole_sooner likes this.
  18. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

Whenever possible, I pay online using the credit card that pays me back. Otherwise, the check is in the mail...honest.

rcole_sooner and DekeDog like this.
  19. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I haven't written a check in at least a year. When the kids sell fundraiser stuff I do. I used to for rent, before we bought. Even back then, it was easier to buy a money order.

I dont carry cash because my wife always snatches it for some reason, and I don't keep change un my pockets because the kids steal my quarts when they fall out...

Everything being set up for online payments is ideal. I hate having to call to pay with card over the phone; when I pay my dr office, I feel like I'm ordering a pizza...

@DekeDog I'm 30 and can write cursive. I dont, because any form of my handwriting is equally as impossible to decipher without some kind of decoder ring, but not the point. My oldest son is 10, school wasn't going to teach him cursive so my wife and I did. I find it not as important as knowing how to cook ramen or change a tire, but the thought of not being able to read something because it's in cursive seems like an avoidable problem.

DekeDog likes this.
  20. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Most are auto paid online through Discover or a couple bank online except electric which charges $2 or so for online :mad: so mailed. The close by water/sewer utility is a window drop off when running errands.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.