Paying bartenders

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gobi_grey, May 21, 2017.

1. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That "band tipping the bartender" thing is ridiculous, and this is the first I've heard of it. When I gig and we get free drinks, I do tip the bartender, and quite well, I might add. That should cover it.

cdwillis and brookdalebill like this.
  2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't order food, I don't drink, only thing I might ask for is a Coke. I know what it's like to rely on tips. I always put a tip jar out if its possible.

I try to make sure there are a lot of people there. At the end of the night I will tip each staff member if possible.

Sometimes I am not able to financially, but I have found that this has a huge impact.

They look out for you in ways you cannot even predict, you always have a good gig there, people are happy, they make the customers happy.

Going above and beyond in every way you can is what I try to do, the power of contrast is very powerful because many others in the business don't realize that relationships are the key to success.

A lot of the other pros I know take care of the staff as well.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

My philosophy is:

If drinks and/or food are not covered by the gigging agreement, i.e. I'm paying for my own food and drinks either out of pocket our out of the pay I'd get otherwise, then I tip the person who served me a normal amount (i.e. 20%).

If food and drinks are complimentary I tip half the listed cost of the food/drinks. E.g. I'd tip 3 bucks on a 6 dollar drink if it came for free. But this is just what I do, and I think the only expectation even in this scenario is that you tip what a normal tip would have been if you were paying.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Malarkey...

And people wonder why nobody takes bass players seriously...:D

5. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Im sure some othere smart A-- already said this.... but

Sure, I'll share my tips, If they share theirs! we can go straight down the middle. Bet I come out ahead that way anyways.

6. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

No. State law may vary on this, but in California at least, where I practice employment law and guitar, this is against the law. Management can't force employees to share their tips.

7. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

"Tipping out" is something waiters/waitresses do because they often are serving the majority of the drinks that are made by the bartender. That has nothing to do with the band.

After a bad experience with a bar's security a few years back I try to ensure that the band is treated with the same respect that any other employee would receive. We have a job to do like any other employee. If we do it well the bar will fill up and stay that way.

We're also to the point of refusing any "pay to play" gigs, anything where there are "production costs", anything like that.

8. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

In Atlanta most of the clubs do not pay bands that play original music. I still tip the bartenders at least $10 even though I'm not being paid. Why? Because they had to wait on me all night. Bands can't do tip jars here. You have too make money with merch. That's at least my experience.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Perhaps they simply meant that the band is expected to tip for service like any patron? That bartenders aren't working for the band for free? It makes sense. If you go into a restaurant and your food is discounted or comped, you are still expected to tip for full value of the meal. Unless they comp it due to server ineptitude.

10. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm sure the whole thing started because cheapskate band members drink for free all night without tipping. As I said earlier, I always tip quite well whether getting free drinks or not. I'm certain that I have some bandmates who probably never do though.

11. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Nuts !
    Who ever paid a cover charge to see a bartender ?

12. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

On bar gigs where we get free food/drinks we'll each chip in $5 out of our tip jar to give the bar tender or waitron. Otherwise no tips for them from me.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Depends on the establishment.

Case by case basis.

Hell - among the fine dining sector where I used to wait tables it is now common for some restaurants to take a cut of the waiters tips ! :eek:

Greedy bastards, seems like the sign of a poorly-run establishment (or a greedy-ass well-run one...)

To the original point :

I find it astounding there are are local bands playing near you. Here, it's guys w/ laptops or retro hipster vinyl spinners.

Maybe they tip the bartenders...

14. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's crazy. Bartenders make tips from the people they serve. I remind my band from time to time that if they order a drink (especially if it's free) that they should tip. I suggest it because the bartender often has influence over what bands play and which ones don't. It bothers me to see a band member order even a coke for free and not tip. Is a single dollar really that important?
    I have heard of bands tipping the sound guy but not a bartender.

15. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Remember guys/gals.

After tipping the bartender/wait staff, return them to their upright positions.:D

Never hurts to grease the skids in the venues you would like to return to. The bar employees can be your best "booking agents".

Not saying go overboard, but show a little gratitude over the mic and a few dollars if you can afford to.

I've been in the service industry all my life. Been a bar owner, bartender, cook and a waiter.

Not always easy dealing with the public. There are those who shouldn't be there and there are those that I admire for the sometimes thankless job that they do.

The ones that I admire are the ones that I don't mind sharing a little bit of my good fortune that I'm able to get out there and entertain the people.

There, I've said my peace. Just have fun.:)

1955 likes this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

We over tip bartenders or wait staff.

17. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

If I'm on a gig and the wait staff or bartender serves me, I always make a point of tipping. And they are often surprised so I expect musicians aren't the best tippers.

Making a tip mandatory from the band? Seems a bit heavy handed.

18. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

When I worked as a bartender the performers Never tipped me . I Never even thought of asking for one .

19. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

YES !!!

Real smart

In my world of Austin 17 yrs and Noshville where I lived for 11 yrs
    (clubs & bars) if there is a cover/door charge, no tip jar for the band.
    If it's free to get in, then we have a tip jar. And "some" bars add a stipend to that
    Most around here doit this way.
    Of course there are some bands/clubs add a tip jar even if they have a cover

I played one place here in Austin for 3 yrs that paid us $50 each for a trio, 7-10pm
    but took the tip jar at the end of the night to recoup they're loss of having a band in a busy restaurant. (?)
    Misleading to the tippers that thought the band got it.
    After building a good steady crowd on Tuesday nights in 3 yrs
    the owner calls and says;
    "Hey, I have a band gonna come in on Wednesday's for free starting next week
    so I'd like for you & your guys to do that too starting next week"
    I said;
    "Thanks for 3 yrs of work, but you can give my Tuesday slot to the Wed band & they'll have 2 nights work, starting next week"

I ALWAYS mention the bartenders and waitress's encouraging tips to/for them,

And if anyone in the band gets a drink or meal (on a restaurant gig)
    they always tip against the full price of the drink or meal
    Some places give free soda's & coffee and some discounted alcohol or even free those are NOT tip excluded.

It seems if you treat the bar staff right they'll look out for you,
    in encouraging the boss to hire your band back, free drinks, happy to see you back, friendlier etc

As far as the original question,
    I've never heard of the band having to split tips with any staff, or the other way around anywhere I've played

Have a good gig!
    Redd

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  20. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Isn't that... you know... why people have jobs?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.