Payday (mix content)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by woodman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Hey Woody. Sounding great. I hope I didn't start you off on a wild goose chase with the bass. I hope to get my monitors up and running this weekend so will refrain from commenting on sounds until then. At least when I set them up it will inspire me to get back to recording although where I will find the time I don't know.

2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

No wild goose chase here, Pete — by drawing my attention to it, you helped me improve the track. Let us know when you get set up again!

3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I know I'm a bit late to the party here. I'm just giving this a listen through as I type, but I had a thought about the clicks/ pops issue as this has come up a couple times on your stuff.

If you're having trouble hearing them, can you see them? If you zoom in where one of us is hearing something, can you see a weird spike in one of the waveforms? (And I heard one underneath burnin right about 2 minutes in).

Fun tune! Love the backing vox.

Cheers,
    Geoff

4. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Thanx, Geoff — those pops Kevin pointed out were at lower freqs, not the typical "crack" that appear as spikes ... the spikes are pretty easy to fix, now that I know what to look for and how to fix them in the Sample Editor. These were over my head — I spotted recurring knee-like forms that I "fixed," but the noise was still there. There were other suspicious-looking visual anomalies that occurred over long periods of time, but I couldn't really pin them down as the cause. After an hour and a half of struggling, I threw up my hands and replaced the flawed words with the same words from elsewhere in the song.

As for the buzz on the fade, I know for a fact that it was caused by the ancient dirty 2-prong wiring in my house — when there's a lot of draw, like the big space heater being on, it induces a nasty growling hum. When I re-recorded that fade, it was early morning, my wife was still asleep and nothing was on in the house ... the result was much better, but Kevin still detected a smaller degree of noise there. So ungrounded power obviously plays into it in at least some instances.

I record at 24 bits with the buffer typically at 256 ... since I flipped my iMac for an older Pro quad-core, processing power isn't really an issue. So I've blamed the wiring for my recurring noise issues, though maybe raising the buffer might be a help if latency isn't too bad. Any thoughts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.