Payday (mix content)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by woodman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Mix threads seem to have fallen out vogue lately, but here's one I'm finishing up. Nothing earthshaking, just a fun funky tune about making ends meet. See what you think!

Payday

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That one hits a little too close to home I'm afraid.
    YEP!!!

3. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ha. I like it! For some reason, it made me recall the old Dan Hicks "Payday Blues" number. Ever consider adding a couple "hot licks" backup singers for the refrain? :)

4. woodman

I loved Dan with the Hot Licks, but I'd rather have the Dixie Hummingbirds for this one! ;)

5. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds really nice!!!

I'm listening on my computer speakers @ work (no worries, it's break time!!!) so I'll listen again at home, but so far, the drums could come up 1-2db, and the Dixie Hummingbirds come back slightly, except for the coda, where they're sitting pretty well... more tonight when I listen at home...

Franc Robert

6. woodman

Appreciate it, Franc ... yeah, I was pushing those harmony vocals pretty far to the front. May have overdone it when I got obsessed with getting the three parts equally balanced in every section — lost track of the forest due to looking at the trees. ... I'll be interested in your comments on the drums after you listen on your "real" speakers. Thanx!

7. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just listened again here at the backalley compound, and yep, those drums can come up a smidge (1-2db). The backing vocals sat better here, though I think they could come down 1-2db. Also, the mid bass seemed a little thin here (wasn't at work), maybe there was space carved out for your vocals?

Overall, though, it's a pretty nice mix, just a couple tweaks away from being done-love your vocals on this track, it suits the song, and it's a really good performance!!

Franc Robert

8. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Woody, I can hear two pops in the tune panned dead center: one in bar 60 on the second syllable of "burnin' and the other on beat one in bar 108 when you sing "life." Maybe fades or flex edits there?

There's also a pretty loud crackling sound panned ~ +20 that becomes noticeable toward the end of bar 120 during the fade out. I suspect it's one of the guitar amp sims on one of the guitar tracks.. maybe the tele bridge pickup lead track.

9. woodman

Turning up the drums wasn't that satisfying, so I set up a parallel compression bus — that did the trick, fattening them up and "gluing" them together. See what you think.

On the vocal harmonies, I identified the critical frequencies of each in the EQ and notched each track to keep them out of each others' way and rebalanced ... made it easier to get a smooth blend without intruding on the lead vocal.

Kevin, as usual, your crap detector is working at a high level! ... Bar 60 was the pick hitting the lip of the bridge plate on the guitar track just off-center — easily cropped out. At 108, that was evidently due to either a clumsy edit, faulty fade or both. (Track had been merged, so it's hard to tell.) Took a little tinkering, but think it's now under control.

On that one, I took the easy way out: went back in and retracked. De-noising would have taken a lot longer with probably less than perfect results. I've discovered that a good-size space heater we use for the main living space in the house puts that nasty buzz in the Woodshed circuit, even though they're on separate circuits/breakers — in fact, I had to retrack a lot of guitar parts where the noise was simply unacceptable, but completely missed it on the fade (ouch!).

Appreciate your input, guys! I'll probably hold off on posting the doctored mix to see if any latecomers comment —still haven't heard from some of the usual suspects (Geoff, Kevin, Pete, etc.) and am hoping they'll chime in.

10. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Hey Woody. Just settling in to the new place and only have computer speakers (with sub) set up at this stage. Only had the net for a week! Anyway, congtrats on the new track and it's great to have a mix thread again.

On first listen the track sounds great. Love the oohs, the instrumentals (piano and guitar) fit well and all really well played. The only things I noticed were the bass seemed a little boomy and not a lot of definition but that could well be my setup (so don't go making drastic changes based on that) and the hit hat seemed to be panned a little too far to the left. How nitpicking is that? It just made it seem a little isolated from the rest of the kit.

All in all great work. You have definately moved into the next realm of mixing where your first run mixes are 90% there. Stamp this one OMTR (only minor tweaks required).

11. woodman

Glad to hear your move's completed, Pete — hope you're enjoying your new digs and have all your boxes unpacked!

The bass is always my toughest challenge ... that version's scooped pretty deep at 330 Hz because it seemed muddy pre-EQ. Bumped up a little notch at 112 to compensate. Franc said the mid bass sounded thin to him, but he might have meant higher in the mids than that. I'll try an upward nudge in the 700-800 range. Maybe I'll check it through the VRM box; the Auratone model gives a pretty good idea of what the bass is doing above ~100. It's rolled off pretty sharply starting at about 80 Hz (trying to keep it off the kick).

I'd never thought much about the hat placement; it's sitting at the EZdrummer default position (<60) ... I'll try pulling it in a little and see how that sounds.

Appreciate your input as always!

12. woodman

Got some punch in the bass, parallel-compressed the drums and background vocals, and did a bunch of general touching-up. I must be getting near the end because I'm totally sick of listening to it! :p

Payday2

13. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Late to the party again!

What a great little tune!

On this latest version, I think it needs a lot more bass yet. The Blind Man came on after I got through listening to Payday and you can use that one as a reference for bass level. It's right there!

The only other thing I heard that I would look into and change, is the piano is panned too hard I think. Tuck in a little closer to the rest of the instruments and then lets hear it.

As always, your stuff just shines! :D

14. woodman

Thanks, Dave — your input always welcomed. ... After I punched up the bass tone tinkering with EQ and comp threshold, it sounded monstrously big, so I dialed it back some — evidently too much! I'll get back under the hood on that.

As for the piano, I'm trying to spread it out to cover the whole left side, using Logic's stereo Direction Mixer as opposed to regular pan, bringing the solo a bit more toward center via automation. At first I had the high notes more toward center, low notes more toward the left ... then I flipped the keyboard, thinking maybe the piano bass notes would be more effective up top nearer the bass. But it didn't really make that much difference, as the piano bass notes are more sweetener than a substantial element like the chords. Maybe I'll flip it back and see if it has the desired effect of moving the piano more to center. Appreciate it, mate!

15. woodman

Bumped up the bass a good 3 dB and widened the Q a little at the 305 Hz (mud) notch on the channel EQ ... flipped the keyboard back, which not only pulled the apparent piano placement more toward center but also seemed to add clarity. Much better to my ears.

Payday3

16. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

much better bottom end bass balance with the rest of the instruments now!

I'm listening on some good headphones and that piano is still panned hard left, so maybe if I heard it on speakers it would be a bit different because with headphones I get no crossfeed L-R and R-L.

17. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking of writing one called"There's Too Much Month Left At The End OF The Money". I think it should be a country song. :D

18. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Wood, I'm still hearing the pops in bars 60 and 108.. didn't think the one in bar 60 was just a pick hitting something, it's still there.. but you know me, I'm just sensitive to that kind of stuff and no one else is mentioning it, so it's probably okay.

Noise is still there in the fade out, but much quieter now.. more like a hum than a "crackle" and probably okay too.

19. woodman

You've never been wrong about these types of issues before, so guess I'd better go back in and see what what's ... I just wish I could hear what you can hear, but I'm afraid that's a lament for lost youth!

20. woodman

Yep, no question, a country title for sure!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.