Pawnshop SCORE!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John Backlund, Jan 27, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Ok, it's not a guitar, but I just bagged this somewhat dusty Line 6 Spider III at a pawnshop for......(drum roll here)....$29.00

If it doesn't work ok, I can bring it back within thirty days for a refund.

IMG_20200127_102517983.jpg

Was this a great deal or what???

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great little practice amp for 29$. If it works and you hate it, you could probably sell it for twice that on Facebook Marketplace.

3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Cool. Congratulations

4. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Now we know the true value of that amp.

Kebmel, Average_Joe, chegel01 and 5 others like this.
  5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Congrats!

At the Ohio Guitar show earlier this month I got a Peavey Audition 20 in excellent condition, just for $40
    Actually near mint

BB and mkdaws32 like this.
  6. John Backlund

Now I have three amps, all teensy-tiny ones, but three!!....compared to my 27 or thereabouts guitars, I'm still a bit under-amped compared to most, but it's a start.

I did spend $500 on my 60 watt Boss Acoustic Singer Pro a couple months ago, and I've had my, also 'pawnshop sourced', Vox Pathfinder for years (probably $75, don't recall exactly), but the Line 6 and it's effects adds a little spice to the mix.

7. mkdaws32

I don’t know much about the Line 6 spider stuff, but some people like them and some don’t. If it’s a bit anaemic or fizzy to your ears, I would bet a speaker upgrade would completely transform it - although that could cost twice what you paid for the amp ;). What size speaker is it? Looks like maybe a 10”? A Celestion 10 Thirty might be a big sound upgrade at a pretty good price.

8. John Backlund

Looks like a generic eight-incher...
    IMG_20200127_112518611.jpg

The amp is only fifteen watts.

9. mkdaws32

Oh! Smaller than I thought! That would definitely fit a 10”, though, requiring the baffle to be cut out, of course. There is also the Celestion Eight 15, which I’ve never heard, but should be similar to the Ten 30 and definitely an upgrade. They are dirt cheap new, as well. I know I would do with that amp ( cut the baffle and install a Ten 30) ;) but that’s just me. The Eight 15 is also 4 ohms so it would be a drop in replacement.

EDIT: Be warned that I seem to be unable to leave anything “stock” for long ;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Excellany score , congrats!

11. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Nice score for $29. - Good bedroom practice amp.

BB likes this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Can I get a hell-yeah? Consider that you have a fairly flexible little modeler that cost less than the cheapest of pedals, even used ones.

If it works, don’t be hemmed in by conventional amp thinking when selecting settings. Explore everything it can do; you might find some surprisingly fun sounds in there. For example, with a borrowed Pod I discovered I liked selecting a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 model, cranking the gain and the mids (that’s black helicopter territory right there) and running it through the Tweed Champ 1 x 8” cabinet model. The Spider won’t have the same parameters but my point is, those settings names are just suggestions and they can restrict your thinking. Stick it to the man with stupid settings; that’s rock and roll.

Those are worthy little amps. Still have mine and use it sometimes (bought new when I was a kid). They have a unique raucous squawk when you use single coils and a compressor pedal and set the amp for as loud and clean as it will go. It’s a rhythm sound that works well in a mix, believe it or not. I have recorded examples; PM me if you’re interested.

Mine has needed nothing in 37 or so years of hard and careless use, other than one pot being replaced about 20 years ago.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  13. mexicanyella

If it were me, I’d be exploring the “Clean” model with the gain and mids up, bass down and treble to taste (maybe up), and the “Crunch” model with the gain down but the channel volume and master up and similar EQ settings to above.

I think this could give you some useful racket for cutting, ballzzz-out garage-rock rhythm tones. Which in my mind would go well with some of those crazy guitars you’ve built. And be cooler than using some Line 6-era “insane distortion” modern rock hoo-hah.

In Richie Fliegler’s book “Amps: the Other Half of Rock and Roll,” he described the sound of some old solid-state amp (Vox Super Beatle? Kustom something-or-other?) as a “blizzard of nails.” He said something like, it may not be THE sound, but is A sound.” I think this amp probably has an unnamed blizzard of nails setting hiding in there, or at least something unique, and finding what that is and how to use it will be well worth the $29 spent.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I got one of those off CL a few years ago for $15, but it was really really dirty, it worked well though surprisingly.
    I cleaned it up and flipped it.
    They actually sound pretty good, and can get pretty loud.
    $29 for a clean one is a good deal.

15. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

I daily drove one of those for years in middle and high school. It's no tube amp, but I liked it quite a bit.

Quick tips:
    -you can save presets (look up how online)
    -there's a boost (look up how online)
    -Don't turn it up; the volume above about 6 is a lie it won't get louder it'll get fartier.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  16. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

mkdaws32 likes this.
  17. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats John!!!

That's a SCORE.

I'm an officially registered card carrying pawnshop whore myself.

I frequent pawnshops 5 days a week 52 weeks a year.

I score about 3-5 amazing deals every year.

It's all about numbers when it comes to scoring deals

The more you hit ALL the stores in your area on a regular basis, the more you have a chance of
    scoring killer deals.

18. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel TDPRI Member

There are a couple of hidden functions: You can do a complete factory reset which deletes all stored settings. Another one allows you to power up with all effects disabled to use as a clean pedal platform. Next time you power it up it reverts back

19. mexicanyella

I have lucked out on three different random pawnshop walk-ins:

1) Back in about 1997, I was passing through Pontiac, IL and stopped at one, and walked out $20 lighter carrying a DOD FX-10 Bi-Fet Preamp and FX-82 Bass Compressor. Those two and a Pro Co Rat 2 combined to form about 85% of how I sounded for two different bands. FX-10 for solo boost; FX-82 for a little always on boost and squish to help SS amps feel less tight and sterile.

2. Back in about 2008, I was getting into bass and picked up a like-new Line 6 Lowdown 110 (about $300 retail) for $75 at a pawnshop in St. Charles, MO. Ended up flipping it before bonding with it, but it was pretty cool for guitar too and if I had it now, with better bass skills and ears, I’d probably relate to it better. It was a pretty versatile cubic foot of loudness.

3. Same pawnshop...walked out $50 lighter with a ‘99-ish Squier Affinity P bass (I liked the yellowed no-nonsense white finish and was pleased at how it played). Still playing it, now with chrome D’Addario flats.

Finding something cool at a pawnshop is a lot of fun!

20. mexicanyella

Zooming in on that photo, I see there’s a 1/4” phones/record out jack. A guy could connect that to the effects return or power amp in jack on a more powerful amp and try using the Spider as a preamp “pedal”...or straight into a PA, if it’s not too noisy...I wonder if there’s any speaker emulation going on at that output?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.