1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pawnshop Score, but what model is it?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dmaneleven, Nov 6, 2008.

1. dmaneleven

dmaneleven Tele-Meister

1996 Classic looking Stratocaster $150 w/DiMarzio Singles and SD Humbucker:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm stoked. color is kinda yellowed when compared to what's under pickguard.looks like Surf green. I Had to rewire it since it was a mess with out of phase 2,4 positions on the switch, but now it's a beast, Hum cancelling DiMarzio DP402 "Virtual vintage Blues" single coils sized humbuckers and an Duncan Invader in the bridge needless to say it will rock but I wonder:

what model is it? Serial # starts with "MN6*****" made in mexico 1996?

2. redoakguitars

redoakguitars TDPRI Member

From what I can see it is a Mexican Strat, Hss. Great guitars, I have a friend that only plays this year of strats. He feels that they are perfect.

3. ajgus

ajgus Friend of Leo's

Sweet score indeed! Jealous...

4. mjb1967

mjb1967 Tele-Holic

from your photos it looks like sonic blue? very nice score indeed

5. dmaneleven

dmaneleven Tele-Meister

it's green.But here's sonic blue for comparison:
    [​IMG]

here's mine again:
    [​IMG]

6. ole AZ

ole AZ Banned

The neck is making me ask questions. I don't know of a model with the spaghetti logo, without the synch trem and body contour decals, and a headstock truss rod adjust.

Don't know what it is, if its even Fender, but great looking guitar none-the-less.

7. Clutch442

Clutch442 Tele-Meister

The vintage tuners and the humbucker have me thrown off. You said you had the pickguard off, was it HSS routed from the factory?

8. dmaneleven

dmaneleven Tele-Meister

correct.The pick guard has non fender screws added which are a little bigger so it could have been a non-stock replacement HSS PG

9. jwc5

jwc5 Tele-Meister

Looks like a surf green maybe.......

10. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Nice score! It looks like a 50's classic to me.

11. RatherBeFishing

RatherBeFishing Tele-Afflicted

The 50's classic has an 8 hole pickguard. I would take the neck and puckguard off of the body and check the the pocket and cavities. Fender usually has some unique markings that could at least confirm that it is a fender body.

12. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Since it has been modified, the pickguard could have easily been changed as well.

13. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

Like stated above though No contour decal and the black plastic piece at the headstock suggests a headstock adjusted truss rod. Not 50's classic stuff.

14. Toppy

Toppy TDPRI Member

I just picked up one just like this, same headstock, except 1995 MIM, serial # on the back. HSS config with black pickguard and rosewood fingerboard. I too would like to know what markings I should be looking for on the body to see if it's original. Seems to be a large gap between the body and neck on the sides, I could keep picks in the cavity. Mine is well worn and feels good in my hands. I'll need to set it up proper, but so far nice. Can anyone tell me what markings / stickers I should see when I take it apart this weekend? Thanks!

15. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Toppy welcome aboard.

16. Toppy

Toppy TDPRI Member

Thanks for the welcome. I've figured out what mine is: a 1995 Mexican Strat Special ash veneer top on poplar body translucent blond finish?, black pickguard and knobs, chrome hardware, vintage neck and slotted pegs, tone, volume and coil tap, S/S/H p/u configuration. I cut and pasted this from Harmony reviews. I thought the little coil tap switch in the 2nd tone position was custom from a previous owner, but seems it's stock from the reviews. I haven't disassembled it yet because I'm have a great time playing it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.