Pawnshop Find: Ibanez Artist

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by zimbo, Feb 28, 2012.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

It's a CN 200 model probably from about 1978. It's in VGC except the pickups have been switched to EMG's. They're asking $749 and I'm wondering how far down I can get them to go?

What's the best bargaining method in a pawn shop? Just show them cash and see if they get excited?

2. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

What color and how is the condition 1-10? In excellent shape if it's in a good color its worth around $1500. Without the original pickups take off $500 so it comes down to color and condition.

I'd off $500 and expect a counter. Good luck...

3. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

It's the real deal, the old violin finish. Brown sunburst. I'd say it's probably about a 7.5.
    Has the mini toggle, Grover tuners. No belt buckle.

I'm really a Fender guy so I would probably resell it after I had my way with it. A very cool find for a pawnshop. I suspect it's new and they will list it on Ebay like most pawn shops do.

4. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

very cool guitars .....offer 500 , they might say yay they might say nay

[​IMG]

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Beautiful guitars, I have an '84 Artist that I would hate to part with. (Though that $1500 figure puts bad thoughts in my head.) Shame about the EMGs, as the original pickups are reeeeally great.

6. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

It's a Concert Series not Artist. The CN200 doesn't have a mini toggle switch so that's a mod to the body. The PUs would have been gold plated Flying Fingers Super 80's. The tuners would have been Smooth Tuner II's (stars on the back). With the mods I would go $475-$500. If it were original I would go $700. The original PU's/covers and tuners are very sought after and would probably bring $300-$350 by them selves.

7. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

I snagged an '82 Artist in Ontario, California for $250 with a case. It looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still have it and still play it. About 11 years ago I had it re-fretted, refinished and a new bridge and tail piece installed.
    Now it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Complete with matching strap!
    [​IMG]

...and yes, the original pickups are reeeeally great!

8. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I have two of 'em but only one with me.......

I have this one in the photo which is an '82 Artist with a pearl white antique finish but the laquer's yellowed so it's a light golden hue. I've had it rewired with just one volume and tone control on top and the bottom two knobs are pull pots with a coil tap in the back and a phase switch in front. My other one is black but it's on a "permanent" loan to my grandson who doesn't want to give it back but that's OK. The Artist in the picture also has an ebony fingerboard and probably plays better than any instrument in my collection.....JH in Va.

Attached Files:

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I owned an Ibanez CN200, I bought it for 175 Euro (Around 200 bucks) case included, the reason why it was cheap? The former owner replaced the stock pickups with eighties Ibanez branded ones.

Soo...While I got a super deal out of this I can say that I find 700 bucks a bit much for one with the pickups replaced.

10. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

Ibanez does build and has always built a quality guitar that is priced fairly unlike other grossly overprice brands that we're familiar with. Here's one of my Ibby's, love this guitar.

[​IMG]

Zimbo, if you can pick it up for under $500 you should be able to make a little on a resale but since it's a bolt on neck and without the Super 70's or or 80's pickups it will be a harder to market.

best of luck...

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  11. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

SpeyFly , I think I'd like to buy yours instead. Thanks for the responses.

12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I sold my excellent original condition Ibanez artist 2618 '78 for 750. So for that money you can definitely do better.
    MD

13. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt TDPRI Member

If it's at a cash America pawn you can tell how much they paid on the price sticker. On the right side you will see a series of letters like "MEEEE" that would mean they paid $100.00 for it the code they use is MARY LOUISE. M=1 A=2 R=3 Y=4 etc...

14. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

The EMG's would be a deal breaker for me. The "Flying Fingers" are probably the best sounding humbuckers ever made IMHO. The prices of these fine Guitars have been rising steadily in the past few years but there are still bargains out there.

I didn't realise they made these with a bolt on neck....

15. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

Thanks Zimbo, I was lucky to have found this one.

"The "Flying Fingers" are probably the best sounding humbuckers ever made IMHO."

I agree 100% Wileyone, the Super 80's are classics and one of the best...

16. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I may end up pulling the trigger on this one. This pawnshop is set up where the price drops automatically on a monthlly basis. So it's already down to $500. The $749 was the orginal price. They said $420 will be rock bottom. I'm betting they gave the poor dude about $200 cash for this real vintage guitar. Comes with the OHSC, cord and the guy's strap. Sad.

17. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

Great Bobby Weir vibe going on with those

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.