Pawnhop Steal Vibrolux Reverb Update

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Man.... there's not a pawn shop in 100 miles of me that ever has good stuff like this. All they got is worn out crap when it comes to musical items.... nice find man!!!! That was a dealio big time!

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I'm tempted to hit up MusicGoRound with a head and a speaker cable that's quarter inch to spade clips to test out the used pile. Maybe I could make up a box out of pegboard to hang them in? If I left the cable and box after buying a speaker, they'd probably be able to use it to sell more of the pile.

I can't actually think of any other way to know if I'll like a speaker in a given amp. I got lucky on my weber, but I can't imagine spending $250+ (or even over $100 used) on a speaker that sounded like crap and taking a loss because the almighty interweb agreed it was good.

Life was WAY easier when I was 16 and we'd give someone $20 and an unmarked speaker for the Peavey BW out of thier practice amp. Back then those were all we could test locally.
Now we're all spoiled for choice with old stuff, reconers, and even customer made speakers all occupying an affordable range. But we still can't freaking test it with our own amps until we pay for it. Madness.
Yup, know what you mean! I've purchased 3 JBLs, 2 K110s and an E120, on evilbay. In each case, they were purchased as working and arrived DOA. After negotiations with the sellers, they all told me just to keep the carcasses, since they didn't want to pay for return shipping. The E120 I rebuilt with a partially assembled kit that cost me $69 several years ago. I've used that speaker, along with my ex-lead player, in a Blues Junior, Blues Deluxe Reissue, and finally in a DRRI. Sounded great in each amp. The K110s were the same story, went into my 2x10 modded 1969 DR. The sound was killer there also. When I got my new/old VR with the dead speakers, the K110s went in it, and, DAYUM, what a sound! Trouble was, the weight of the K110s made the VR weigh in at 55+ lb, a bit more than my old arthritic hands can comfortably, so I got a pair of Jensen Jet neo speakers. The weight difference brought the weight down to a svelte 42 lb, great for gigging!

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Man.... there's not a pawn shop in 100 miles of me that ever has good stuff like this. All they got is worn out crap when it comes to musical items.... nice find man!!!! That was a dealio big time!
At the right place at the right time- They said the VR had come out on the floor about an hour before. I like to check and every once in a great while, I'll find something. This time I just got lucky!

themikeaustin

TDPRI Member
Had a '70 non-master volume Silverface Twin Reverb long ago in a galaxy far, far away. Blew the stock speakers. A friend convinced me to replace them with D-120s. Could never get "my" tone from it unless the volume was on 7 - deafeningly loud. Had no problem hanging with full Marshall stacks, however. Wish I'd gotten a Vibrolux or Pro Reverb instead.

vanr

Tele-Afflicted
My local pawn shop closed down during Covid and is gone.