pawn shop guitars

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
so I found a twelve string from the 70s in pretty good shape -- it needs a refret, endpins, and setup, and the bridge is cracked up

625451AC-D34D-4D2F-A08C-8D4D19BA45A3.jpeg

the sound is excellent, but they want $275

go for it?

I'd love to see pawn shop finds and hear some pawn shop wisdom

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
so I found a twelve string from the 70s in pretty good shape -- it needs a refret, endpins, and setup, and the bridge is cracked up

View attachment 923546

go for it?

how do you "feel" about it? i was offered a martin 12 string "back in the day" as payment for doing a recording session had a wonderful sound but no matter what it would not even tune up..seems the bracing wasn't there at all..so would have had to go back to martin and have extensive work done on it...i passed and accepted a 68 caddy sedan deville for $500 instead. the caddy had about 60k miles on it i became the 3rd owner even had a bar under the dash with lines going to the trunk where there was a rack that could hold several bottles in it..i thought it was a better deal..and it was

Last edited:

Sparky2

Friend of Leo's

View attachment 923546

go for it?

You didn't mention a brand name, good sir.
I'm assuming it's an off-brand?

In any case, $275 is just a bit steep for a guitar needing that much work.

I have bought and pawned a lot of guitars, and that is one that I would personally pass on.

:(

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
You didn't mention a brand name, good sir.
I'm assuming it's an off-brand?

In any case, $275 is just a bit steep for a guitar needing that much work.

I have bought and pawned a lot of guitars, and that is one that I would personally pass on.

:(
it's a Hyostar from Japan

they were sued by Gibson

the store says they have $275 into it, but I find that hard to believe

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
What is this myth about pawn shop guitars? That is a complete joke! Every pawn shop I have ever been into wants more for them than they are worth. These people are no dummies. They know what they have and are in the business to make money and not sell something on the cheap. I have got better deals at Guitar Center. At least there they are in the business to move gear and make you a deal.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
What is this myth about pawn shop guitars? That is a complete joke! Every pawn shop I have ever been into wants more for them than they are worth. These people are no dummies. They know what they have and are in the business to make money and not sell something on the cheap. I have got better deals at Guitar Center. At least there they are in the business to move gear and make you a deal.
(waves hand)

these are not the droids you're looking for

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

I bought an American Pro Strat for $700.00 a month ago at a pawn shop. Probably half of my guitars have been pawn shop purchases.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I got this at a pawnshop guessing it’s a mid 30’s to 40’s

38705121-833B-4ABF-8972-3F57E51E8C29.jpeg
6CFD75C0-D342-4163-BD7C-BD367F567CEB.jpeg
82A308B6-2908-429F-BD13-5FD6650D6923.jpeg

I got caught up in the moment and thought it might be Gibson related (because of the case it was in) so payed more than I should have but it seems fair at the same time because the case is a legit 40’s Lifton case that would have came with a Gibson and is valuable on its own

I’ve only found two others like it with one having a different shaped headstock

From the same shop I got an early 80’s boss bf-2 flanger for 20 bucks

That shop actually just closed up and was one of the last haggling type shops around here

I also got my first good guitar from a pawn shop around the mid 2000’s, paid 200 dollars for it

A 79-80 fender lead II (I believed it to be one of the first 100 made) I want to get a new bridge for it because it’s all corroded(well the adjustment up and down is) and doesn’t get much love now

ACF46072-31EA-4D4B-A44A-8925FBB5691E.jpeg

Last edited:

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I bought an American Pro Strat for $700.00 a month ago at a pawn shop. Probably half of my guitars have been pawn shop purchases.
If you feel that was a good value then that's good for you. However, most the one's that I have visited, I wouldn't touch that overpriced junk. It is a waste of time in my opinion

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
it's a Hyostar from Japan

they were sued by Gibson

the store says they have $275 into it, but I find that hard to believe

Yeah.... they aren’t going to break even

Some places may go higher but generally around here whatever they have it listed for they paid a 1/4 of that, of course they have a right to profit

Last edited:

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
My local shop has a Gibson Byrdland in storage. It's been there almost 50 years. I could have purchased it for $450 in 1973, but it was too much money at the time.

Right on!

You’d think someone would have wanted it by now

Almost half a century?

Seems like it might be a shop owner that promised his wife he wouldn’t bring any more guitars home

So it’s “impossible to sell”

“Why isn’t that thing gone yet?”

“Dang it honey! It’s just that no one can afford it!”