Paulownia, Cozart and King

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My experience with paulownia is mostly positive. Very light and resonate. I have not had any problems with screw holes like I have with basswood. I don’t drill pilot holes. I use a punch awl to start then zip the screw in. The wood seems to seal around it. If you take the screw out the hole kinda seals up. However the oldest one I have is only 3 years old so time will tell, but I will continue to use

jwsamuel

Friend of Leo's
K

Koo, Sandberg huh.Haven't really heard of them before and thought you meant Strandberg at first. I looked them up and it looks like their basses are very nice. Oh probly Burbridge had a custom 6 string one made for him.

FYI...Here is a screen grab with Otiel's bass:

Otiel.png

Giuseppenola

TDPRI Member
Cool, wonder if the neck wood or neck material was chosen for lightness also to avoid neck dive. Paulownia is an awesome sounding, lightweight wood. I play on small crowded stages so I worry about dents and dings to soft woods like paulownia. If there are maple plugs glued into the paulownia wood wherever there will be screws, the screw holes stripping out can be prevented. I have a 2015 Squier Tele made of some softer wood, I think it's agathis, and the screw hole for the rear strap button started to strip out and spin around. I drilled a bigger hole and glued in a short piece of wood dowel and problem solved.
If I’m worried about a screw hole stripping out, I remove the screw, trying to maintain the threads, and carefully put a drop of “high tech adhesive” aka superglue, wait 45 minutes, then reassemble.