1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

PaulC (Tim/Timmy) and the greatest quote ever!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by artdecade, Jan 17, 2013.

1. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Some food for thought found at: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=13034167&postcount=64

Original Quote about a Boss SD-1:

Originally Posted by AJBoy238

Sounds better then some of my boutique pedals! It's throwing me off really bad. and I know... I know... I'm gonna get crucified for saying this but it just sounds really good. I also feel like a moron cause I'm too embarrassed to have it on my board much less tell people...

"No, I used the Boss instead of my Sweet Honey tonight" or "No, I used the Boss tonight instead of the Timmy"

It could just be a phase or the way the starts aligned today. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll sound like turds again.

Paul's Response:

Why do you think you'd get crucified for saying something sounds good? What's to be embarrassed about? All of these things are just boxes with caps/resistors/transistors/opamps/diodes etc in them. This whole "boutique" thing is BS. It's just products from large vs small companies. Both can make cool/lame products.

People should focus on sounding good, and not worry about what others think about their gear.

PaulC
    tim/timmy pedals
    myspace.com/paulcaudio

Amen, Paul. Amen! :D

2. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

This is why Paul C is such an awesome guy! I'm proud to own a Tim AND Timmy as well as an MIJ SD-1!

3. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Wow..Paul knocks out 98% of thegearpage $nob$ in a single post...

I love it !

4. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Truth

5. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Lets not turn this into an us vs them thing.

But yeah, Paul tells it straight up.
    Which is also what I aspire to do, right, wrong, or indifferent.

6. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

Refreshing.

7. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

He's a stand-up guy. He talked me out of buying a Timmy because he said it wasn't designed for my amp. I wound up buying one anyway, after I tried a Dano clone first.

And not to turn this into an "us vs them" thing, but HC has been so flaky recently that I returned to TGP after a long absence. It hasn't changed. >shudder<

8. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Cool guy!
    Telling it like it is, and from a position where the words (that 'merely' describe the obvious!) actually mean something and can barely be refuted.

9. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

It seems like sounding good was the purpose of the post, but maybe the SD-1 owner should have painted it black and changed the knobs if he was embarassed to be seen with it.

10. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

LOL Like this?

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

11. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Tele-Meister

I've been staying here instead. Sick of the whole JHS thing, endless threads along the lines of "how do you use your clean boost/mid gain OD? Do you use it as a clean boost/mid gain OD? I know I do!" Also every time someone says "recommend me an X pedal" you just get a list of pedals with no helpful explanation as to why the suggestion was made. It never stops over there! Go to any page and you'll find at least two of these sorts of threads.

Anyway, I emailed Paul C recently, and he was helpful, and it's good to read him post something like that on TGP. :lol:

12. Dr. Pants

Dr. Pants Banned

Ahh, a true hero. I should send him a free pair of
    surgically enhanced pants.

We get that here too, and sure wish we didn't.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  13. teleup

teleup Tele-Holic

I have the utmost repect for Paul.. always have

14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

"It's just products from large vs small companies. Both can make cool/lame products.

People should focus on sounding good, and not worry about what others think about their gear."

Since I'm capable of building things as I want, it is great to have folks like Paul C. as a sort of compass for these things.

With any given discussion, you always need someone who can sort of hit the reset button, and Paul is one of those types.

His honesty is also refreshing. He might outright tell you that his wares probably wouldn't be a good fit, or reinforce why "something else" might work better.

And Paul never will "leave things out" or "try to push in a certain direction." While that's probably not good marketing for him, I applaud his honesty.

Part of my mantra that I've adopted from statements like that one made by Paul are things like, "what are the available options?" Because IMO, it should never be polarized, never be exclusive, and always come back to "just sounding good."

IMO, the "best rigs" (of others) that I've seen were always always always a quiltwork of different brands/pedigrees, to the point that there were usually some sort of reverse-engineered aspects that weren't even pedal related. Point being that you will usually find that you just can't get everything bundled into a nice and neat little complete package (unless you pay someone a tremendous amount of money to do that for you).

The cool thing about blatant honesty is that it's very easy to recognize when it's blatant honesty! IMO.

15. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Cargos with the pockets removed?

16. JDO

JDO Tele-Holic

i don't really have need for a Timmy but from a few posts he's done i want to buy one just to support him.

17. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

an executive at GC (who I won't name) told me that they are considering dropping sponsoring HC because of the horrible operation of the website and hostile nature of the forums. I gave him a few names (some of the really mouthy ones) to look up on there and he said the trollage is too heavy even for his tastes. So I'm hoping they pull their plugs; those guys more than deserve it IMO...lol

18. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I hate to say this, but all of us in Murfreesboro are always 100% honest 100% of the time. For some odd reason we also have near 100% divorce rate.....

19. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

I like HC, though, at least when it's up and running. It's crude and rude, but if you stick to the music-related forums, there's some good stuff there, either useful or funny, sometimes both. Like here, there's a large enough population of working musicians at HC to make it valuable.

20. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Paul is a cool dude. What other builder will tell you that you shouldn't buy their product because they don't think it'll give the tone you're after?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.