Paul Westerberg - 14 Songs

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by EllroyJames, Jun 28, 2017.

1. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

I always preferred the last two Replacements albums - Pleased to Meet Me & Don't Tell A Soul. His first solo album, All Shook Down wasnt bad either.

EllroyJames likes this.
  2. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

^ I liked all their albums, and most of the solo projects. But now when I listen to Don't Tell a Soul I really notice how produced it sounds; and the early stuff just has that raw edgy feel in spades.

Electric Mud and Johnson johnson like this.
  3. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

From "Don't Tell A Soul"

4. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I love a lot of Mats music and Westerberg solo stuff. Some Mats music suffered horribly from 80s production. I like how they were a musical contradiction at times, amazing one night, awful one night - idiotic and poetic from one song to the next. Dyslexic Heart, Mr. Rabbit are some of my favorite solo songs.
    I have a DVD of them at the 7th Street Entry in 80 or 81 where they are on fire, one of the good nights. I believe some of that footage is on YouTube.
    I saw the 'Replacements' in Detroit on their brief reunion tour and loved it. I know Westerberg and Stinson might have found it painful, but it rocked. Westerberg played through tweed Fender amps and used mostly LP Juniors and teles.
    All Over But the Shouting is a great book that's an oral history of the band.

5. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I was def in the later camp. I was in 7th grade when Don't Tell a Soul came out. I always hated metal and at that time I was mostly into (as much as I'm ashamed to admit it) blues and rockabilly music. The only other stuff I listened to was what I guess today would be called 1st wave - Marshall Crenshaw, Elvis Costello, The Clash, The Smiths, The Cure, etc....

Anyway, I dug I'll Be You, which was on the college radio station I listened to so I bought the album and liked it. I actually thought they were a new Canadian band (no internet back then). I ended up buying Pleased to Meet Me and didn't like it at first, but got into it over that summer and then bought the rest of the catalog. I did see them at The Orpheum in Boston on the IBU tour.

By the time I was in high school 14 Songs came out. I actually saw a pre-tour show for that at the old Rocket in Providence, RI (IIRC the tour launched the next night in Boston). Darren Hill (who had been in a band that I really liked called The Raindogs) was the bass player in PW's band and helped me sneak in because I wasn't even 18, let alone 21. I was right at the edge of the stage for that whole show. Oddly enough, I ended up hanging out with the only other kid I knew who liked The Replacements older brother at that show. The Rocket was a really small club (it later became Club Babyhead) and a great place to see a show. My band opened for them when they came back through (Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel) on that tour maybe a year later.

I went to a high school with 4000 kids. Two of us were at those shows.

Now I see all my friends who were at Bang Tango and Warrant professing their love for The Replacements on Facebook. Life is goofy like that.

Maybe it's not cool that I didn't get into the early records first, but when I was a kid and there would be a new song I liked on the radio I would usually buy the LP and then if I liked it I would pick up the older ones used.

I suppose if I had been some Ibanez playing Trixter fan back then who had bought Tim in 2004 when I became a real man with a Telecaster* I would have more street cred.

* I did play a couple Telecasters back then. An American Standard which I bought used in maybe 1989/90 for $300 (a king's ransom that followed a very snowy winter) and later a 1973 Telecaster Custom that I bought off of Material Issue's Jim Ellison when we opened for them. Oddly enough, I was reading the MI book the other day and I was mentioned in it. Very odd.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    bender66 and dkmw like this.
  6. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

^ I had remarkably similar musical tastes at that time; but I'm a lot older than you:eek:

noah330 likes this.
  7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, that was the thing. When I went to college in the fall of 94 there were a few kids who loved The Replacements. Granted, I was at Berklee so people were really into music but I think those songs and records tended to really resonate with kids from certain backgrounds.

I couldn't relate to Poison or Guns and Roses but I could relate to The Replacements.

The bass player in this band was the guy in Westerberg's first solo band (and is his manager now). His wife at the time (at least I think they were married) booked a club where I would hang out slightly underage. When I was maybe 13 I had figured out a bunch of their songs and wrote them all out. I saw him at a free outdoor thing and gave them to him and he brought me backstage to hang out. Very nice guy.

When I was just becoming old enough to get into local music Atlantic raided Boston/Providence and signed some really great bands - The Raindogs, The Neighborhoods (Dave from Westerberg's band and the new Replacements), Young Neal and The Vipers, etc.... Then there were bands like The Cavedogs who were on Capital, Scruffy the Cat, Orangeatang, etc.... Cool time to be just old enough to go to a lot of the free outdoor stuff that used to go on and a great time to be into local music. Like I said, a friend of mine were more into the local bands at the time than a lot of the national acts, so it was a really cool time to be young.

I still say because there were so many bands on the local level that were so good it pushed a lot of us younger kids to really work a lot harder to get as good as we could.

8. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

9. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Cool to hear your perspective and experiences, noah.

When I was 13 in 1968 I got to see Jimi (still can't believe mom let me go), and a couple years later I was in Piedmont Park watching the Allman Brothers Band play free shows every Sunday. However, I did not get to hang out with those guys or open for any of them:(

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, heck, yeah...still have a cassette of "Tiny Days" I listen to occasionally. Love that record. Used to play it on my college radio show in the late '80s.

noah330 likes this.
  11. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i didnt give the replacements enough ear back in the 80s...now i try to listen to them once a week even if its a song or two

12. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 TDPRI Member

I knew of them back in the late 80's but never listened to them - though I did love Paul's songs on the movie 'Singles'.

Then a few year ago they used two of their songs on the 'Filmspotting' podcast and I raced to the notes to find out who this cool new band was - The REPLACEMENTS - weren't they the also rans from 80's Indie - the Husker Du / R.E.M. that didn't break big?

Within a few weeks I'd bought all their cds and have been kicking myself that I only found them 20 years after I could have.

What a songwriter and what a band!!!

I turned a few mates onto them over the last three years

13. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

When I first heard The Mats at a very early age I HATED them. As I got older and drunker I definitely grew into them. Had tickets to see what's left of them a year or so ago and they freaking cancelled due to illness. I was crushed. I mean those guys were always wasted. One of them must've been on the edge of death. And I could have easily filled in!

14. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

15. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 TDPRI Member

You're not kidding, that interview is heartbreaking

16. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

sometimes not getting into a band from the past...you can get into them now...if youre like me...not many bands of today i can get into...so finding one from the era i like and have songs that i like is great

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.