1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Paul Simon tonight

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by GuitarJonz, Jul 25, 2016.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm really not thin skinned at all I'm just not depending on all of my friends to be the same. ;)

2. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My wife looked at me and said "voices wear out" I said "yes they do" Lots of respect for Pau,l glad he did it, nobody escapes age

3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Paul Simon is a great musician in every sense of the word, but that song was a bad choice. I was shocked.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  4. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Sorry. Bad is bad.
    I would cringe if I had to back up a singer who was that off-pitch. I felt embarrassed for him, the band, and the audience.
    Makes you wonder how the new album sounds so good. Intensive audio editing?

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Look 70 is not to old to sing.
    I give you Tony Benett. 12 yrs older than Simon.
    simon, the consummate proffesional, and super picky perfectionist his is, still leaves me wondering "W T @",
    They have digital tools to fix this on the fly.
    No excuse anyone has proposed so far flies.
    Anyone at the local bar karaoke could have done better.
    Anyone. Jeez Paul hate to see you go out on such a sour note.

ringii99 likes this.
  6. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Given the technical problems, venue, his age, the highcockalorum in the room, the backing band, the overt political naure of everything, and all else, he did great. No excuses, apologies, or criticisms necessary. He's a pro. He dealt with it. He sang. On with the show.

We could only wish to have his talent and experience, and catalog of great songs that continue to move people. Or the stature to be called to perform before such an event.

It was a piece in the big mosaic of his career.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^^ Agree 100%.

I also think the Steve Martin/Edie Brickell thing is pretty great.

I think I most liked when a couple years ago, Edie and Paul were hauled into the clink for beating each other up. Paul looked far worse for the smacking. She was smiling andlooked kinda hot.

Still together.

Marriage is tough - I ain't pointin' no fingers...

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's not like he doesn't know fifty ways to leave.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^ That's true.

You just slip out - well, you know...

10. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

It is a wonderful thing to hear a singer reinterpret or sing their catalog in old age. The lyrics, vocals, voice often give a whole new level of gravity and depth impossible at you degree age and with better endurance, range, tone, etc...

I simply put this Paul Simon performance in that category where it carries a certain something it didn't have in 1971. Something gained. Something lost. This is also true for Tony Bennett and Joni Mitchell where loss of something vocally is not a total sum loss and "just hang it up because you suck and can't do it like you're 19 any more".

Listen to Joni Mitchell's almost Spritely "Both Sides Now" from the beginning of her career. Then listen to the road-weary and less vocally able version of the same song from the soundtrack, "Love Actually". The gravity and perspective from the older, slower version KILLS and is simply PROFOUND in a way the original never was. But hey, there's a whole culture of people that say "Robert Plant couldn't sing the Led Zeppelin songs as recorded and hit the high notes consistently live, by the mid 1970s so he should just give up, as a washed out, vocally emasculated shadow of his former self". I'm so glad Robert Plant never paid discernible attention to those naysayers. And I think we're all better for it, based on his terrific (and DIFFERENT) output across almost five decades in popular music.

Sure, Paul Simon wasn't perfect. Some beyond his control. Perhaps some not. But one day, he'll be gone, and those of us (I'm 42) who ever loved his music will find his every captured performance as a gift. Warts and all.

jwp333 likes this.
  11. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

I thought it was a decent rendition. Eva Cassidy did it best.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.