1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Paul Rivera modded 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by caspersvapors, Sep 1, 2017.

1. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Awfully long video - doubt everyone is going to watch it (I'm not). Can you summarize it? And what's the reason for the post?

JD0x0 likes this.
  3. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    If you want to hear what it sounds like, go to around 12:20. Sounds fantastic to me, but guessing the guy could be playing a potato and have it sound great.

Seems to do about everything but wash your dishes!

They put a TON of work mod's into these amps... personally I would have just started from scratch, but then you won't have the famous 'Fender' name on it right? At $2000 you'd have to have a bunch of loose money in your pocket or need something in the studio like he was talking about. It's still a mass marketed, PCB amp, not that means it's bad or inferior.

4. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

But....for 2k, you DO get both the Fender AND Rivera names. That's only 1k for each. Seems fair. 8^)

Dan R likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I didn't find the video long, just enlightening.
    I wonder if it uses 6V6 or 6L6 tubes.
    Guess I'll research it.
    The young guy demo'ing it sure made it sound good.
    Great player.
    Guess I'll hit the Sweetwater site.
    Thanks!

RedRock likes this.
  6. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds great to me. Is that player using a Yamaha Pacifica? Nice guitars and not pricey at all. It was good to hear Paul explains things.

RedRock likes this.
  7. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Audio taper volumes instead of linear taper

Switchable mid scoop (notch filters) (scooped vs flatter EQ?)

Master volume - doesn't say if it is Pre- or Post- PIMV

Presence

Pull Boost - doesn't say where the extra gain or removal of attenuation comes from

Less bass in Normal Channel. Did he say bigger range of control? Maybe bigger value pots. I think he said the entire mini PCB that holds all the pots on the front plate gets replaced with new stuff

"Higher gain" in Vibrato Channel preamp -- 220K plate load resistors(??) Or maybe just less lossy
    interstage attenuation

6-position rotary 'fat' switch, adding mids. (Not sure how to do this--switchable 'mid boost' caps around or within the tone stack? Some more complicated band-pass filter?)**

Humdinger pot on heaters

Smaller bypass caps to remove boosts < 80Hz or smaller coupling caps high pass signals >80Hz. Less bass throughout

Improved filtering in power supply

Independence between channels improved -- maybe they now mix at the phase inverter? Or go back to how the vintage DR mixed channels. Rivera implies that the reissue deviates from the vintage in that way. Didn't really catch that

Trem speed and intensity controls moved to back panel

Edit** I found a document (letter from Rivera to a customer) that says the bass control has less effect on the circuit as the Fat switch gets fatter, and high treble settings remove the bass pot, if that helps anyone figure out how the circuit may look

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    RedRock likes this.
  8. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Seems really versatile but at this price point it would be hard to pull the trigger given all the handwired boutique options for the same coin.

9. Silverface

Yep. Lots of bells and whistles I guess - but I've found that simpler signal paths yield better tone. And how much of that stuff is *really* needed unless you do sessions and play 5 or 6 different styles a week? It's very reminiscent of 80's stuff Paul came up with...and that sell pretty cheaply nowadays because few players need all those options.

Still not sure exactly what the OP's purpose was. Maybe he works for Sweetwater? :lol:

homesick345 likes this.
  10. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I doubt there needs to be a purpose for posting. "Hey, look at this" is good enough for me.

I agree about the bells and whistles though. I tend to like simple stuff, in a tweed circuit kind of way. But that's how you market to the masses, versatility for everyone. But then you find a sound you like and leave the settings alone.

When I build an amp, I don't put switches on everything because I can. I find what I like and build it that way.

Still, it might be a good choice for someone who needs a 'kitchen sink' amp.

RedRock and Doug 54 like this.
  11. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I think the stock 68 custom series amps sound pretty good as is. ( I have the Princeton ) I have played the deluxe and a buddy of mine has the vibrolux. I wish sweetwater would A/B the Rivera model vs. The stock model but I don't see that happening. I think I'd rather have an Allen or vintage sound with the mid/raw knob.

12. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Looks interesting as I am a fan of both Rivera amps, and Rivera Era Fenders. But for half that price you can get a minty used Rivera Clubster 25 which has most of the same features plus channel switching and is hand wired and built like a tank.

The Clubster does not have tremolo, and the reverb can get a little harsh. But it does a great Fender clean and a great Marshall Plexi on the dirty channel.

13. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Here's another video of a dude with an unfortunate last name playing through the amp. It does offer a really nice range of tones. But beyond the high price, I also find the label-maker presentation and cosmetics off-putting.

jimash likes this.
  14. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

Cool, but no thanks. I still want the "custom '64 handwired."

jimash likes this.
  15. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

This is a cool amp, but for the dollars, think that I would also go for the Custom '64 handwired DR.

threadbare likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Well, if you're looking for a modded amp, this is the guy who you want doing the mods.

RedRock and gridlock like this.
  17. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Yea the aesthetic isnt the best but I think they were also trying to replicate the look of Riveras original modded amps.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  18. Silverface

Did you post it just as an example, or did you buy one? There was no information/text with your post, just the link.

19. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

$2K is a lot of money - vintage & boutique territory.

IMHO you can get better amp than that (I understand Rivera is a respected name; I also think the guy is cool - but still)

For half the money; I think this amp sounds better; comes with the footswitch; & looks way better too. Come on.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  20. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

I get what you're saying, but to me there's room for both amps as they're different enough to appeal to different people.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.