Paul McCartney-inside the songs

EugeneWeemich

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
am a 60s kid...

love lots of Beatles music. did a couple covers, even.

https://m.soundcloud.com/narronow/come-together

but find myself burnt out on all the wash cycle of Beatles PR. when I see them now my perception is of a bunch of talented but coddled musicians who were given production silver spoons.

they made good music happen, but I have lost energy for machinations of their cheeky adventures and drama. been given enough of it to chew on over the decades, I suppose.

did not mean to rain on your post, btw.

Crashbelt

Tele-Holic
Great thanks, although my interest was in the Beatles songs he featured rather than the later things. But I get why he'd want to represent his life work not just the Beatles.

His naming of Eleanor Rigby recollection is funny - something about a mix of seeing the name Rigby on a shop somewhere and Eleanor coming from the comic actress Eleanor Bron who he thought Lennon dated for a while. And getting the name (Father) McKenzie from scanning a phone book for a name similar to his working draft name 'McCartney' which he didn't want to use in the finished song.

I have visited St Peters Church Woolton, opposite the school where McCartney first met Lennon in 1957, and there is the grave of Eleanor Rigby with a gravestone of a McKenzie (albeit not Father) a few away. Either an uncanny co-incidence, or many years of the subject of 'Got to Get You Into My Life' (listen to that episode!) messing with the memory. I wouldn't dare challenge the great Macca's recollection!!

One of the very greatest songwriters of the last century and a helluva bassist and singer.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I can't imagine how damaging to the Beatles story it has been, to have such attention still lavished on the band. No musical act has been discussed and analyzed more than the Beatles. It's a shame to see all of the superficial TV shows being made today. The Beatles took their job seriously and didn't like working with people who weren't up to snuff (Magic Alex was a supreme con man). I'm sure they must have been feeling fed up with all of the TV shows about the band and its members.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I'm glad I was there for the great rock and roll of the late 50's, 60's and early 70's. There's not much I can say about bands whose guitarist noodles scales up and down the neck while someone sings like a demented school girl, or someone who shouts obscenity into the mic to a repetitive back beat. When the young people of this generation get older and have been married 40 or 50 years are they going to look at their wife and think "I saw her standing there" or " that's right you %#@&*ing b&%/ you'd better &$$>__&%%/ my @÷×@ and then make me &=/ or I'll shoot you with my gun!. Love you honey.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I liked the series out now with Paul and Rick Rubin, where they listen to the old masters and unpack the songs. Pretty interesting. It’s on one of the streaming channels. Apple maybe? The one with Ted Lasso.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
The thing I find most interesting about stuff like this is seeing the human side behind the legend. Once, long ago, Paul McCartney was just the bass player in a band working the music hall circuit in England and needed to find a piano to work out the tune he'd written in his head on the bus. A song they would later play on TV in America, that would catapult them into stardom that surpassed their idols and that no one had known was even possible.

The Beatles story now seems written in stone and inevitable, but at the time it was anything but.