Paul Guigsy McGuigan of Oasis and his Fender Telecaster Bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by IMMusicRulz, May 14, 2021.

1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz TDPRI Member

Usually Oasis is one of those bands that either is critically praised or critically reviled. But they were very influential. I always saw them as picking up where The Beatles left off, and if not The Beatles, then maybe they were the Kinks for people born in the Eighties and Nineties.

Alright, alright, it was a Fender Precision Bass from 1951, but it had a Telecaster type body that most Fender Precision Bass guitars had until about 1960.
    He used it on the album Definitely Maybe (most notably on Whatever and Live Forever). He also may have used it on the demos for What's The Story Morning Glory? He was credited on the album but did not appear. Noel Gallagher mostly played bass (uncredited) on that album.
    After Guigsy left, he became this reclusive hermit. He is married and has a son, but like Queen bassist John Deacon, has lived a life of solitude. I think Guigsy didn't want to become a junkie like Noel Gallagher, Paul Arthurs and Liam Gallagher. I have also read that Paul Bonehead Arthurs and Liam wrote "half the songs" on Be Here Now and What's The Story Morning Glory? but were stripped unlawfully of songwriting credit. Gugisy always seemed like a a shy person.
    Does anyone know if he still owns a Fender Telecaster Bass, and if so, where is it? When did he acquire it.
    Guigsy mostly played Hiwatt amps and a Fender Bassman amp. I also know that Noel Gallagher owns several Fender Telecaster electric guitars, and that Johnny Depp actually gifted one to him along with a Marshall amp. Johnny Depp actually played slide guitar on one of Oasis songs.

I also wrote to Noel Gallagher once, but unfortunately the address I sent it too was out of date. :(
    Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Avril Lavigne, Drake Bell, Jeff Lynne, Taylor Momsen and Bruce Springsteen are amongst the biggest fans of Oasis. I always liked them. I also have lots of friends who are huge Oasis fans.
    And I think it would be cool if Jeff Lynne collaborated with Noel Gallagher. I think Noel Gallagher also played guitar on the soundtrack of the Channing Tatum movie Logan Lucky. And he's also friends with Russell Brand. I think Russell Brand looks sort of like George Harrison

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Stan?

3. BrokenTele

BrokenTele TDPRI Member

Do you have a source for the stripped writing credits?

Fendereedo and IMMusicRulz like this.
  4. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz TDPRI Member

Liam Gallagher announced it once on an interview with Graham Norton.

Either way, Oasis was as cool as ****. Be Here Now was my childhood.

If I remember correctly Noel Gallagher and Andy Bell both played a Rickenbacker 4005 and a Rickenbacker 4001 bass guitar on that album.

5. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

"Alright, alright, it was a Fender Precision Bass from 1951, but it had a Telecaster type body that most Fender Precision Bass guitars had until about 1960..."

FYI-the "Telecaster" body started morphing into the shape we know today back in 1954. (Dee Murray sold one to a bass player I knew back in the mid-90's for $800) and it stayed that way thru '56. By '57 the pickups where changed to the split design and it's been the standard design since.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  6. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Lots of stuff in the OP. I think I'll keep my views to myself on this one :lol:

IMMusicRulz, Bassman8 and 68Telebass like this.
  7. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    His bass was a late sixties Telecaster bass, not a fifties one.

But he also played Regular Fender P-basses and Jazz basses
    [​IMG]

IMMusicRulz and Tommy Biggs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.