Patio door install

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Scottz, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

It's time to replace our old sliding door. It track is so worn out the door drags and no amount of adjusting the rollers fixes it. Had a guy over to give us an estimate. $1800, and I looked up the door he was basing it on, it sells for $700 at Home Depot. He estimates 4 hours for the install. To me, $1100 for labor sounds a bit much. Any thoughts?

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

is it DIYable?

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

what is the surround? stucco? wood? it does not sound crazy expensive to me.... I would not think you can get a high quality door for 700.00 though...

SacDAve likes this.
  4. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

Probably not, too large to handle with just myself.

5. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

It's a JenWeld, I have no idea what quality that is. Or he said he could do an Anderson sliding door for $2200. It's a wood surround, with siding on the outside. That price would include any hardware, replacing interior molding etc. He also thinks my current door is a little taller than the standard size and would need some minor framingon top to fit the one he would order, maybe 1 1/2".

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

tell him you want an $1100 door and you'll pay him $700 to install it.

7. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

If the rollers can’t be adjusted why not just replace them? We just had a similar situation. Our sliding door doesn’t slide. First guy that came out said the door had to go and it would be $2000 to install a $750 door. Second guy came out and said the rollers are bad and need to be replaced. He wants to charge $500 to replace $65 rollers. We are currently looking for someone to do it a bit cheaper.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. getbent

milgard, pella.. there are probably 5 different companies making great products. There is really nothing that Lowes or Home depot sells that I'd want in this category. They have the 'get it done' (and know you'll be doing it again...) a name like milgard or pella or anderson will be a better product... the labor is the labor... quality materials matter. I'd spend and get something that will make the difference.

9. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

Sliders are security week point and get leaky as they age. Have you considered French patio doors? Much less work to swing a hinged door open and closed. The good ones have bolts that engage top and bottom besides the strike. As in all things, sometimes spending 30-40% more gets you an interface that is a joy to use as opposed to a hassle. Do you use it every day? My rule of thumb is if my hand is going to be touching it every day, I want the one that is a pleasure to use. Do use a guy who knows what he's doing, proper flashing and sill treatment are essential for avoiding rot, mildew, bugs, etc.

getbent likes this.
  10. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Replacing the unit with different kind of door would also be my recommendation. Sliding doors are soooo 80s apartment complex.

getbent likes this.
  11. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

I've replaced the rollers probably times over the last 3-4 years. The replacement cassettes are under $10 each but not easy to find and are poor quality, the metal buckles where the adjustment screw presses, which lowers the door. The quotes he gave me were for French (JenWeld) and sliding (Anderson).

Lake Placid Blue and getbent like this.
  12. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Sounds to me like the guy knows what to expect - that being the unexpected. He sees a potential for an issue (door sizes) and has planned for the time, labor, and materials he'll need to correct the issue. From that alone I see someone who knows what they are doing and is absolutely worth what they are asking.

Harry Styron and getbent like this.
  13. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t know how to replace the rollers. Can you come over and teach me? I’ll buy you a set of guitar strings strings for the inconvenience:)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. getbent

lots of good advice on this thread... I think make sure your wife gets what she really wants... I dont have strong opinions about sliding vs. french doors... they can both work... just get something that will last and is over engineered to the degree that it makes you smile...

15. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

Sure, book me a ticket and hotel and I'll be on my way.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  16. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I'm a carpenter and have done some Jeld-Wen work. I'll do it for free, just pay my travel, food and a month's accommodation. :D:p:cool:

17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

My local UPVC installer just did a French door style ,single large central door and two side windows for 1600 UKP .did a great job of it .Its not easy to compare prices twixt US and UK though .The larger central door gives an great view of the garden

18. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

On the price for an install it seems to vary quiet a bit in deferent areas. So as always get 3 to 5 estimates. Only real advice I would give is get away from the big box stores I would not let one of their contractors (if they are contractors)hang a picture in my house. I would suggest find some local glass companies to get a price from and search what brands are best, Anderson, Marvin and Pella were the big names when I did remodel but $$$$$.Myself way out of the loop now.

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That price sounds reasonable depending on what he's installing. I installed 4 French style doors to the rear of my house many years ago. I bought 4 glass doors in hardwood frames, fixed two on either side and hung the other two in between them opening outwards. I had to also install a giant timber beam, lintel that ran above them to support the house frame/roof etc. There was previously just one single door in the place I installed them. It cost me about $600 in materials plus dry wall and exterior cladding materials, that was 20 years ago and a bargain price at that time.:)

20. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just replaced the track and rollers in mine. Has worked fine for many years since.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.