1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Patience

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by knh555, Nov 27, 2020.

1. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

I never thought I'd cover a GNR tune. I never really cared for them. But I recently acquired a Taylor acoustic GTe and wanted to do something with it and decided to record this one for a friend. I really like how easily this guitar records.

2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't know the song, but I like what I'm hearing here on your clip.

Is the Taylor close mic'd or direct? It sounds warm and woody nice.

3. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

The above recording was done directly, but before going that route I did the below comparison. I actually do like the close mic a bit more but I was getting a bit more noise and decided to go direct. To my ears, it's still pretty good.

simoncroft and fendrguitplayr like this.
  4. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Hi Kevin!

I really liked your version of Patience.

I also appreciate you posting the two guitar recordings. To my ears, you're spot on: in the context of the mix, the direct sound is fine, but the guitar sounds better still with a mic in front of it. Although Taylor seems to get a better direct sound than most guitar makers, I've always had a problem with the way piezos translate the initial 'transient peak', which is where so much of an instrument's character lies.

Your mic'ed recording has an attack to the notes that make a sound like "String!". The direct version sounds a little more like "Sponge".

Sadly, recording guitars with mics tends to work in great-sounding rooms, that are totally isolated from outside noise. As most of us don't have that kind of facility, we work with what we have. You worked with it very well. :)

knh555 likes this.
  5. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

Thanks. I agree about the mic better getting the attack and it's that attack that often gives us our individual sound/tone. The clear attack is what drew me to the Taylors after all. Playing direct, it really feels like a mic inside the guitar and picks up even brushing against the guitar almost like the close mic.

Maybe I'll attempt to mic up the guitar again and see how well it sounds in the mix. I do need to be sure I get enough bass since there's, well, no bass in this arrangement.

simoncroft likes this.
  6. decker

decker Tele-Afflicted

Not familiar with the group or the song, but very nice knh.

7. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

It’s Guns N’ Roses, which isn’t really me. But a song is a song no matter who wrote or performed it.

8. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

@simoncroft, I redid both guitars this morning using a close mic and left the old one direct-recording above posted for comparison. Besides limiting noise, my only big challenge was matching up the playing given I have no drums and let the tempo drift on this one. ;):cool:

simoncroft likes this.
  9. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Yeah! That really works. Best of both worlds, in that you've got the attack, but you've also reduced the amount of any ambient noise by balancing the two sources. You've got a really good voice too. I had no idea.

10. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

The second one only has the guitar with a close-in SM57. No second source. Perhaps I should try that next. This is turning into quite the experiment!

simoncroft likes this.
  11. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Re-reading your post, you did make that clear, Kevin. Because close miking leaves very little room acoustic, it tends to emphasise the body of the guitar, rather than the way it sounds from a few feet away. That's why I thought you had mixed the two. Under ideal conditions, I'd probably start with the mic 2-3ft away and over the 12th fret, but that doesn't work too well if you can hear the traffic outside! I seem to remember there's an early Led Zeppelin track where you can hear a plane overhead, because Jimmy Page wanted to record outside. :D

knh555 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.