1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pathfinder Upgrade

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Vox Pathfinder 15R, which I like as much as everyone else. But even though it sounds great for such a little guy, it is limited by it's 8" speaker. Coincidentally, I also have just sitting around here a 10" Eminence Ragin Cajun speaker, which I love and have used before in a couple different amps. I keep hanging onto it in case I find another use for it. You see where this is going, right...?

So I figure, why not get a bigger cabinet and put the Ragin Cajun in the Pathfinder? There is not room for the 10" in the PF cab (though I know some guys manage to stuff them in there). I really don't have much free time to devote to projects like this, and I'm not going to sink a lot of money into it. So I found some old threads where people have used bee hive boxes for amp cabs. Found this one online for $25.

https://www.betterbee.com/wooden-hive-equipment-10-frame/boxhda10s.asp

IMG_7973.JPG

It arrived yesterday and looks pretty good, select wood, no knots. It's just about the right size. 20" x 16" x 9.5", compared to the PF cab which is 16" x 15" x 7.5". I figure I can glue and screw the joints, and add 1x1 stock inside to keep it square and stable, and block in for the chassis and rear panels. I'll need to cut out for the control panel. Ordinary 1/2" plywood for the baffle. I actually have some grill cloth lying around from a previous project. A handle, some feet, sand, stain, poly. For another $30 I'll have a new amp.

Sound right? Any tips or things I need to keep in mind?

Michael A., Treynor, hdvades and 2 others like this.
  2. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Sounds like you're on the right track.

The Eastern Pine seems like a suitable type of wood to use for a cabinet build. Out here on the other coast, you find other types at the big box stores -- but it works just as well.
    Can you fit a 12" in there? That would give you just a tad more ooompf -- if you want it (a slightly wider variety of speakers to choose from as well). ..Just a suggestion.

A speaker upgrade to a RC will make your PF sound quite a lot bigger (read LOUDER) though. Don't know what those stock 8" speakers run in terms of sensitivity, but the RC is a potent 100db+. I'd bet you'll be getting about 50% more output from it--so be prepared for that.

Cool project. It should sound great. Good luck.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I wanted to leave my Pathfinder stock size as I like the 8" speaker just fine ( mine is a Vox/Celestion that came out of my old and dead Cambridge 15 amp.

So a buddy of mine just enlarged the baffle in the Cambridge cab ( same size as the Pathfinder) to fit a 10" Celestion
    So I have the option of the of 8" or the 10" cab ( but not together)

* note thiis Celestion is NOT a Ragin' Cajun, so the difference ( at least at the gigs I've done so far) is not huge. And I'm actually just digging the portability of the PF as is, but I got the Ext. Cab when I want it!
    20201024_181140.jpg 20201123_093706.jpg

Treynor, PhredE and That Cal Webway like this.
  4. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Chiogtr4x: Yeah, flexibility is good. The sensitivity of your Celestion 10 30 is about 95db IIRC. Another trick one could do to accommodate different size (diameter) speakers in the same box is use an adapter ring (if space permits) ..in case that might ever save you some grief in the future. Luckily, guitar speakers are not very particular about the sizes/dimensions of the enclosure.

In the past at least, I have tended to like to leave the stock speaker in place and hijack the speaker output to a switchable jack. That way, plug in your external speaker cab if/when needed. Don't even have to fuss with internal speaker that way -- just leave it as is.

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The truth is the whole reason for this project was a repurposing for that celestion 10 inch speaker which I actually bought for my Fender frontman

but I didn't like it in that amp so this was just a way to make use of the 10 inch celestion speaker

Now the frontman has a legend Eminence Legend 1058 speaker in it and I love it!

So I have two wonderful solid-state gigging amps the 8-inch Pathfinder with optional cabinet and the 10 in frontman 25r

Treynor and PhredE like this.
  6. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think my brother shoehorned a 10" speaker in his 15R but he didn't enlarge the hole or anything major. I like where you're going there. Keep us updated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.