1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pathfinder 15W - Can you run the 8" amp speaker AND a 12" cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rocket Launcher, Apr 16, 2021.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

You're getting a lot of (IMHO) confusing answers here.....if I may add mine?
    Small Vox amps seem to be very sensitive to speaker load, as far as sound goes. I tried running another speaker with the stock one in one of my PF 15R's, and quality suffered. That's the reason Vox makes the External Speaker "OUT" disconnect the internal speaker. You CAN do it, but your sound will suffer.
    I currently have and gig with two PF 15R's.....one is in a custom cabinet with one 12" speaker, (which easily sounds very similar to an AC 15) and another custom cab with FOUR 8" speakers, which sounds massive. I've wired speakers for decades, but I went online to figure out how to connect four 8ohm speakers to achieve an 8 ohm load.
    I suggest your simplest solution is to use an external 12" cab, with the internal speaker disconnected. (plugged into the EXT jack) It will sound much superior to the single 8", and then when you WANT the 8", it's there and ready.
    upload_2021-4-16_17-10-12.jpeg
    upload_2021-4-16_17-11-30.jpeg
    BTW.....they both now sport that gold/wheat grill cloth. The four 8'" one is on top, the one 12" below.

aadvark and glenlivet like this.
  2. Rocket Launcher

Rocket Launcher TDPRI Member

Thank you so much for your input. I love tinkering with things and that's why I was thinking I might be able to find a way to use both speakers with just adding a one speaker cab.

I am now thinking I might try building a 12" cab/amp like you did. That would be a fun project. I bet I could still end up with a good amp to take to jam practice that's lighter than my Blues Jr.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

I run an EVM12L and an EVM15L (ext speaker) through my 5 watt class A tweed Princeton. The amp is not extremely loud but the bottom end is super clean. Electro-Voice speakers are very efficient. Go for it.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If you're referring to mine.....YES, it is very light and easy to carry, especially compared to an AC 15 or even Blues Junior.

5. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

I've been using my pathfinder 15R in my teaching studio for about 15 years or so. Great sounding versatile little amp. Zero issues.

Until this thread, I never knew (or had forgotten) it had the jacks on the back for phones, external speaker etc!

In your case, I would just either:

1. find a nice 12" 8Ω extension box; or
    2. leave well enough alone!

I'm not convinced that using the internal plus external is that useful an exercise.

black_doug likes this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The speaker in the PF is adequate for the purpose of a small home practice amp. It will be overwhelmed, and if you run in series with another 8ohm 12" speaker you will struggle to hear it.

Just run it into a larger 2 -10", single 12" or 2-12" 8ohn cabinet and you will achieve the maximum output and volume possible.

I think you will still find this short of herbs in a band.

The PF is what it is. A cheap unit that sounds great suitable for home practice with a Voxy tone, decent overdrive sound and headphones.

What it will never be is a gig amp unless you mic it through a PA. Yes, there's people who do use it for that but realistically it doesn't have power for it. Unless your band is acoustic or quiet jazz with brushes. Or they use small amps universally.

7. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

I agree with those that recommend using it as it is or with a external cab. My Cambridge 15 (PF15 with a preamp tube) is perfect for the grab'n'go situations or small gigs mic'ed up.

Part of the appeal for me is the classic Vox looks in a small, lightweight package. Looks like my AC15's little brother.

I have walked 6 blocks with a guitar, pedalboard and the Cambridge (neighborhood bar gig). Wouldn't do that with a combo cab that can fit a 12" speaker.
    The 8" speaker is pretty efficient and is a bit less beamy compared to a 12".

black_doug likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.