1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pathfinder 15W - Can you run the 8" amp speaker AND a 12" cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rocket Launcher, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Rocket Launcher

Rocket Launcher TDPRI Member

I just picked up a Pathfinder 15W from a neighbor. He gave it to me because he stopped using it years ago when the input jack broke.

I just about have it spiffed up and have been looking at various mod options. It seems like most agree it sounds better running through an exterior cabinet with 1-12", 2-10", 2-12", etc. I like the idea of stacking it when I play in my jam band so the controls are higher for me to reach.

I was wondering.. Could I change the ext. speaker jack in the back of the amp to just be a 2nd series speaker port? That way I could plug it into a single 12" speaker cabinet and I could run the amp 8" speaker and the 12" cabinet speaker at the same time (in series). Or just the amp speaker.

I could also leave it as is and install a 2nd output jack for the series output.

Would this work?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

great little amp.

others will chime in with the technical answer to your question...

3. Rocket Launcher

So far I am pretty impressed with the little guy. If I can get a slightly larger sound/volume out of it I will try it at jam band practice, way lighter than my other 2 amps.

4. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

As far as I know.... for most SS amps, using a higher impedance speaker is OK, but you will suffer some volume loss.
    Using a lower impedance speaker than the amp calls for *can* cause damage.

So...the PF 15's expect a 8 ohm load ( I believe... I don't have mine here in front of me)... so no matter how you do it (series / parallel / combination of both) you probably want to present the amp with a 8 Ohm load.

FWIW --- I run the line out from my PF to the Power Amp return on a Monoprice 15W amp.... and it rocks. I use Monoprice amp as just sort of a powered speaker cab.
    The monoprice has a 12" speaker in it, and between the two...they move some air. It's even better if you stick a clean boost in the "PF line out> boost > Mono power amp in" path... that way you can control the level of the "line in" signal being fed to the monoprice (and really give it a crank if you want).

5. Rocket Launcher

Thank you for your input! So would running the ext speaker out into a 8ohm cabinet with 2 10" speakers have the same volume loss?

6. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Any 8 ohm cabinet can be connected to the Ext. out. I often run my 15R into the 2x10 I have.

IMG_8504.JPG

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Electric Warrior likes this.
  7. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

When you plug a speaker cable into the extension speaker output on the P15R, the internal speaker is disconnected.

If you want to use an internal speaker along with another cabinet, you'd need to swap the internal speaker for a 16Ω and then replace the external speaker jack for a non-switching one that connected directly to the internal speaker in parallel.

Doing this would result in the volume drop resulting from higher impedances described above.

Using your 8Ω 2x10" speaker cabinet with the factory external speaker jack will not result in any volume loss, in fact, this would sound louder than the internal speaker.

nojazzhere and Marc Morfei like this.
  8. Rocket Launcher

So what I am trying to do is use the amp's 8" and a one 12" cabinet at the same time. To me that seems to be similar to using one cabinet with 2 speakers? (but lighter) Unless I am missing something.

i.e. what makes it different when using two speakers in one cabinet instead of two one speaker cabinets?

9. Rocket Launcher

There are two ways you can wire a two speaker cabinet.

[​IMG]

Series: 2 x 4 Ohm Speaker = 8 Ohm Load;

2 X 8 Ohm Speaker = 16 Ohm Load;

2 X 16 Ohm Speaker = 32 Ohm Load

Or, in Parallel: 2 X 4 Ohm Speaker = 2 Ohm Load;

2 X 8 Ohm Speaker = 4 Ohm Load;

2 X 16 Ohm Speaker = 8 Ohm Load

[​IMG]
    Just found this, I see what you are saying now.

glenlivet and black_doug like this.
  10. Rocket Launcher

So..... If I put a 16ohm 8" speaker in this 8ohm amp, will it make a significant difference in sound when I used it by itself (without a single 12" 16 ohm cabinet running parallel)?

If its not a huge difference in sound/volume that might be a good way to accomplish this.

11. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

It will be quieter than stock with a 16Ω internal speaker.

But remember, to do the "simultaneously using the internal and external speaker" requires replacing the speaker output jack and rewiring the connections from the amplifier to the jack and internal speaker.

12. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

-- only one real way to find out.
    As a quick test you could grab a couple 8 ohm speakers, hook them up in series, and try it ? (disconnect the internal speaker, and hook the 2-8-ohm-in-series speakers up to the standard amp output wires.)
    My guess is that at low volumes, you probably won't notice a huge difference, but when you crank it (with the 16 Ohm load attached) you will hear it..... or I guess *not* hear it :D

13. Rocket Launcher

Thats a good idea. I might also try a 16ohm speaker to see if if I run that alone, would it work just fine. Then I can put another 16ohm in the cabinet.

I was wondering if two 8" speakers could be crammed into the amp? That would only add around 2.5 lbs to the total weight.

14. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

One 10" maybe. Two 8" I doubt it.

15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The chassis for the Pathfinder is so small, you could just stick it right into whatever external cabinet you want to use, and forget about the stock 8" speaker. (That's what I did.) I think it's more work than it is worth to do what you're asking about - trying to use the internal speaker and external speaker cab simultaneously.

black_doug likes this.
  16. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Great find! Love my P15R. I had no problem using it stock with a band — on its own for practice and house shows or mic'd up at music clubs. When I was using it on its own, I'd often put it on a stand or a chair to just open up the sound slightly and make the controls more accessible, like you mentioned.

In that brief period of my career, I would have guitarists from other bands on the bill or audience members who played come up after every show and ask which Vox model I was playing because they loved the tone. It might be the best bang for buck amplifier ever made — I haven't ever played anything under $500 I'd trade it for.

Enjoy your new amp!

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm the contrarian that loves the Pathfinder, as is with the 8" speaker.

it's just a portability thing with me
    ( bad back, plus like super fast gear setup)- play sitting down.
    I just want to carry 'one box' to a gig, so I now have 8", 10", 12" Combos ( each with a little more power) and pick one.

But I understand the reason/utility to expand the potential of one heck of an amp!

18. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

SO, Can you take a 1x12 8ohm speaker & plug it into the back? It disconnects the 8'' speaker and you only have the 12"? Right?

Electric Warrior and Marc Morfei like this.
  19. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

Yes

Electric Warrior likes this.
  20. Rocket Launcher

yes its either/or, thats why I was trying to find a way to use the Amp's 8" and a 12" cabinet at the same time. A mini stack with 2 speakers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.