Patch Cables.....Dimarzio or Mogami

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by The-Kid, Jan 16, 2020 at 3:03 AM.

Which Patch Cable...?

1. Dimarzio

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Mogami

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Am running MXR patch cables they are nice but am looking for a bit better.

Am considering changing the whole thing to Dimarzio or Mogami patch cables.

Currently have one 10 foot Dimarzio and a 10 foot Livewire to go into pedal board and out of into amp.

Plan on getting a Dimarzio to replace the 10 foot livewire. So I will have two Dimarzio 10 footers for use into pedal board and out into amp.

Should I stick to Dimarzio patch cables too or go Mogami. Dimarzio 10 footers with Dimarzio patches or Mogami pathces...

?

Open to other suggestions as well?

What say you?

2. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

I am all mogami. lifetime warranty . you buy them local just take em back. never had a bad one yet. they add an aural range to the sound thats crisp and clear. do the test you will be surprised. got tired of chasing noise around.

Greggorios and The-Kid like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like the thin low profile ones, I have a clone of them by "Mr Power".:D

Cheap at around $12 bucks for 4 delivered and I hear no difference in sound vs expensive cables.

20181026_101815.jpg

Greggorios, gwjensen and The-Kid like this.
  4. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Okay okay.

May go Mogami if Im making the jump but just will have to buy a couple at a time if I go this way.

Kind of wanted to go full Dimarzio...still going either way but this helps.

Um do you use Gold or Platinum?

rangercaster and Fretting out like this.
  5. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Dang okay okay I keep going back and forth and notice the Mogamis Platinum have 100%oxygen free copper and shielding but the capitance of 130pF/m (39.7pF/Ft) vs Dimarzios 33.27 pF/ft (109pF/M) and 98% shielding and oxygen free copper.

Its like a trade off.

Dimarzio has higher Capacitance but slightly lower shielding and Mogami has less Capacitance but higher shielding.

Specs

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/guitar/

https://www.dimarzio.com/cables/guitar/guitar-cable

Going back and forth seing that Dimarzio also have a lifetime warranty to original owners and I havent had a problem and got it to replace another live wire that went bad.

Plus I save a lot of cash and its Made in America silver solder end, low chance of breakin because of overbraid design, lower Capacitance and lower Price, that part I think I like best....... :)

Will probably stick to Dimarzio just based of the specs and lower Capacitance.

I remember I made a comparison some time ago regarding the specs and the lower Capacitance was a big factor for me as well as the excellent build and quality.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 4:41 AM
  6. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Also pics of the current Dimarzio cable I have regarding quality one of the best cables Ive ever owned build and sound. Very tight build compared to the Livewire....

Can you tell from the pictures which is which.....really need to replace that live wire too....its an American Stage series I think. Monster cables Ive owned are much the same. Dimarzio really brings it up a notch. Switchcraft jacks, silver solder ends, lower Capacitance, lower price.....damn why did I even compare to Mogami forgot about the specs.

Maybe Dimarzios cost more there and Mogami cost more here because either country sees it as exotic, or domestics as lower quality and imports as higher quality regarding both countries.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 4:53 AM
    Greggorios likes this.
  7. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Im sure Mogamis are as good as Dimarzio or better but looking at specs again and going over the build again I remember why I went Dimarzio in the first place....that and the Cymbol drop test on Guitar Player, classic.

Just going to keep it simple and stick with Dimarzio as they are fine quality, lifetime warranty for original owner, fine build and craftsmanship and they are made in America too and when you combine all those things its a win win win win for me.

Lower price too.

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well there's nothing "better" than these,in fact I have measured them and they have LOWER capacitance than the Mogamis (which I also have) so the MXRs are "better" than the Mogamis (and since DM cables are nothing to write home about I suppose "better" than them too) .

What exactly bothers you with your MXR cables ?

Also have you thought that there's absolutely no need for "super tough" cables if your pedlas are attached to a pedalboard?

They aren't moving at all in the first place,they just....sit there quietely :)

The-Kid likes this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Ive had some issues to say the least with them....less than a year use.

Dont want to go further than that. Also they dont advertise capacitance even when I called....

I dont think Dimarzios are better they just seem to be solid build and even compares to Mogami Platinum, which are amazing quality, Dimarzio cables have lower Capacitance than Platinum on paper specs as provided on earlier post with links to spec sheets. Plays a big factor in my decision all things being the same.

Also DM cable has given me no issues in 2 years. So also big factor.

10. Nick Fanis

Funny mine are ancient and I have zero problems.

But I don't move or unplug them at all,they just sit there...quietly :)

stormsedge likes this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

I have taken these out for open mics and Jams but its only been a year and the Dimarzio same use about 2 years twice as long no issues.

If MXR works for you and your purpose thats fine. No problem.

I just want a more rugged cable and it would be nice if these didnt give me any issues as they sound good no doubt but the issues keep persisting and Id just like a nicer cable at this point for me.

It would also be nice if MXR listed and advertised the capacitance vs advertising a "sweet spot" capacitance....whatever that is or means.

And if Dimarzio uses actual switchcraft vs propietary stuff like MXR does, has lower ADVErTISED Capacitance than the Mogami Platinum costing double, cost lower, uses silver solder ends, is constructed excellently build wise given my photos and is made in America with a lifetime warranty.....how isnt that something to write home about.....

If there ever was anything to write home about, considering cables.....also the Guitar Player Zildjian cymbal test where they droped one on its edge vs other cables....Dimarzio passed it with flying colors.....Mogami passed aswell.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 5:42 AM
  12. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

@Nick Fanis I am sure for home use they are fine and stuff and light use but I guese I am tougher on my stuff and Im just looking elsewhere for my cable needs.

What works for me or you may not work for everyone else and vice versa. Its just about finding what best works for one, you, me or anyone.

13. Nick Fanis

Just measured my 30cm MXR cable,it shows 29 pf so it's 96pf/m.

But for such small lengths it does not really matter especially if you also factor in the tbp pedals of your boards (if you have buffered pedals it doesn't matter at all in fact)

The-Kid likes this.
  14. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I recently redid my entire pedal board with George L's. I couldn't be happier. A bit pricey, but worth it.
    Very easy installation too, but definitely check the impedance of every cable after assembly.
    Out of the 12 I made, one was bad, but I was checking as I went, so no biggie.

The-Kid and Greggorios like this.
  15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I make all of my own cables, 1/4" XLR, MIDI , RJ45 cat 6, RCA, snakes,looms and hybrid cables , I have even made my own DVI cables , that way I know they are all consistant and I can correct any issues I need to .

16. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Just get a multi-effects unit and never buy patch cables again. :)

The-Kid and BorderRadio like this.
  17. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Honest question. Isn't it just a question of "weakest link in the chain"? If you've got one type of cable with specific specs including capacitance for the guitar to board and then for the board to amp sections of the signal path, in order to maintain the integrity of the signal, the patch cables in between should match. No? (I'll skip conversation regarding the integrity of the pedals themselves and just assume they're up to par.)

The-Kid likes this.
  18. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

I do have buffered either way I do feel it matters. 7 pedals. 4\7 are buffered or in buffer mode but still a good amount of chain degredation. Not a super amount of degredation but yeah present non the less. Good cables are needed which MXR are but I am rough. And if the PF is as low as you say will give them a shot again and replace the ones giving me issues.

Damn okay okay this has me wanting to stick with the MXRs and just replace the cables with the issues.

Are you 100% with this stuff and reading mind doing another when you have time maybe PM me a picture or post. Thanks man. Given this will probably get Dimarzio 10 foot for ruggedness and keep the MXRs and replace some of the few that have given me issues.

29pf is great and better than costing 3 or 4 times as much.

Cheers and thanks again for the post and appreciate it 100%

Greggorios likes this.
  19. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Hey good point......damn......Not sure if it 100% but damn good point.

Just like Dimarzio as a main cable cuz I am a beast with my guitar amp cables. Super rugged and relatively low pf. MXR super affordable patches lower pf and good price. I figure use Dimarzio for guitar to amp and board to amp and MXR for patches as they are affordable and super low PF for the price.

Good balance of ruggedness and PF affordability?

Greggorios likes this.
  20. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Only reason I am considering MXR still is fellow forum member pointing out Pf readings......why not do this MXR they are good?

Unexpcted turn of events.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.