Patch cable length - exact for pedal location or extra length for moving things around? Whats your experience/advice?

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Most boards I see that look nice have things nicely tucked away, wires zip-tied to the underside (or top side) and it appears that the cable are cut to specific length for each pedal location.

I am getting ready to put together a bunch of solderless low profile cables and I am debating cutting to specific length for the pedal location, or making them pretty much all the same length so they could reach anywhere on the board (probably about 15" each.) The alternative, and maybe better approach is to cut some to 6-8" for short runs, 12-15" for medium runs and 18" for long runs. I tend to move things around, swap things out, etc, so having exact length cables doesn't seem like the best idea on this board.

The board itself is a Pedaltrain Classic Pro and there is an 11-loop switcher front and center where everything pretty much goes through.

Would appreciate do's/don'ts/recommendations on what you have found that works best for a board that can be somewhat transitional in what pedals come/go and or their locations on the board.

Thanks,
BHM

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I always leave them a little slack and use a bare minimum of ty-wraps. That way if anything goes wrong, I can sort it out without first cutting the whole thing apart. Of course, my pedalboard has a solid top that hides the rat's nest beneath.

NXQ6IoP.jpg

DbDtQ37.jpg

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I don't mind having a bit of chaos underneath my pedalboard. I have move my pedals around a bit, until I find a position that's comfortable for me. That's why my pedals don't sit in a straight line. Instead they're placed in a way I don't "mis-step". Therefore my patchcables provide some extra length.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Depends on your objectives. I don’t use chintzy cables. It took a long time to get there in my head. Less noise is and less signal loss is more important to me but YMMV. If you stick with something good like Rattlesnake or EBS patch cables life is just easier.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Man solderless cables are the devil incarnate.

I guess I will find out - the soldered plugs I am moving away from were just taking up too much space - a budget option a few years back. These are still on the budget side of things, compared to off the shelf low profile, but an improvement I am after.

twangjeff

Tele-Afflicted
Non-affiliated. These guys will custom make cables to length with all of the best stuff. Mogami wire, low profile plugs, and they're roadworthy. Really reasonable price wise. My experience with solderless cables is summed up by a quote from my old boss (Who wasn't talking about guitar cables) who said, "Yeah they work really great... until they don't."

Martinp

Tele-Afflicted
I've been using solderless connectors since the seventies, I got Ernie Ball Cables (like George L's) in 1978,they were my primary cables for like 20 plus years, and as a big plus, if they fail, like if you trip over them, remove the connector, cut off 1/4 inch and reconnect, and bob is your uncle.

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
I went the solderless cable way. cut them to the specific length that was needed for the first layout.
it looks neat.
I do change pedals once in a while. should I need a different length, I'll have an un-opened cable set, waiting to be used.
besides that, there's also an assorted box of the old patch cables.
the stash just grows and the proper length will be available.;)

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Cut them a little long, but to length. LOL, I reorganized my pedal board(s) yesterday and as usual, did not have enough cords between 12 and 36"...opting to coil a couple of 36"rs underneath a board rather than cut them. YMMV.

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
and there is an 11-loop switcher front and center where everything pretty much goes through.

So why do you have to move things around? Isn't this that actual thing a looper does? (moving the order of pedals without having to move the actual pedals)

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
So why do you have to move things around? Isn't this that actual thing a looper does? (moving the order of pedals without having to move the actual pedals)

Well, my looper has a fixed order - I can turn pedals on and off and program presets of multiple pedals, but I can't change the order itself - this looper is a few years old but still serves me well enough.

This board is used largely for creative purposes, so change happens and cable lengths that fit one pedal in that spot may not fit another (side mount vs top mount jacks, larger pedal vs smaller, etc.)