Passive Volume Pedal Location

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by blackguts, Oct 19, 2019.

1. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

Fender 400 pedal steel into a Super Reverb. Does the volume pedal go before the TU-3 or after?

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I would say after. I always have my tuner first in line. And the Boss tuner is buffered - the volume pedal likely is not. It’s good to have a decent buffer first in your chain.

Pick_n_Strum, blackguts and joeford like this.
  3. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I'd put it last in the chain. If it's passive, there is hopefully something before it with a buffered output. Mine happens to be optical and doesn't matter, other than it has a buffered output which I like.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  4. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I have one right after my boost, OD, delay, and reverb, and then before the looper. I had the reverb and delay after the volume pedal and it sounded fine - I don't think they're nearly as affected by the signal coming in as the boost and OD are, but it just worked out to have the volume pedal after all of the sound shaping stuff. I don't use it for swells or effects or anything, just to balance the volume between different guitars, different settings, between a rhythm going into a looper and the lead being played over it, etc.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I find volume after effects causing tone change. But a tuner.. meh

6. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I've used an old Ibanez VL10 since the early 80's. It's a stereo pedal and since I run two amps, it's last in my chain. However, when I used a mono EB and an old DeArmond, I still ran it last. YMMV, but that's what always worked for me.

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

"Passive" volume possibly, that's why I use optical volume with output buffer. Like most other pedals really, high input impedance, low output impedance.

8. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

I have my Morley after compression and dirt and before delay and reverb.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried a ton of volume pedals. I just sold my Morley about a month ago. They all seem to be tone suckers to my ears, .... until someone on this forum told me to put it up front, so it's just like your guitar volume. That's about all I know. I have two still but rarely use them. I just find the clutter more trouble than using the guitar pot. :D

blackguts likes this.
  10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

If it is placed before your tuner the volume pedal will interact with your pickup just like the volume control on the guitar does. Since the steel already has a volume control... this would be like adding another volume pot to the guitar and will make the sound a little darker to begin with. Then as you change volume the tone will also change... often getting a little darker as you turn down.

When it is placed after the tuner it is isolated from the guitars pickup and simply works as a volume... the tone should remain brighter and consistent.

There is no right or wrong choice... work with the position you prefer.

blackguts likes this.
  11. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

Thank-you codamedia, this is all making sense. Why would this particular guitar lose so much with anything in the signal path at all? When it is plugged straight in it has a sparkle that is lost with any pedal or combination of pedals placed in the signal chain. Never noticed this kind of tone-suck with any of my other guitars or any of my pedals before.

12. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

If the volume pedal was first in the chain, this is what I would expect to some degree. But if it does it with the TUNER first (or with Tuner only) in the chain, that indicates a different problem to me. Double check all of your cables and connections carefully... try to isolate exactly what is causing the loss of highs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.