Passive clean boost

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Dyloh, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Hey sorry to bother guys but I was thinking of ways to add a passive clean boost to a guitar without the need for batteries or anything like that. Is it possible to get a high output single coil pickup and and somehow split the output to like a push pull pot?
    My terminology is is gonna be way off so I apologize to anyone that takes the time to read this. Say a 9k pickup that when pot isn't engaged is 4.5k then obviously engaging the pot would give access to the other 4.5k of the pickup.

Is this possible or should I have participated in Sober October?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Pickups can be made wound with a ‘tap’ wire for this that allows you to switch between part of the coil or all of it (hotter)

Is this to retrofit to an existing pickup?

Option then might include having a small variable resistor/preset on a switch like a fixed volume control switch. You can also switch a small capacitor in-line on the hot wire to cut bass and mids for a similar vintage to modern effect.

I just use the guitar’s volume control. Set rig with it 80% open for clean/edge and then wind it full for leads.

MrGibbly and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Nah I was was kinda just seeing what options there were out there. I've seen a couple lil resistor boosts/fuzzes like that black ice thing but didn't really like the idea of the volume drop so was seeing other ways around it. 100% could just use a pedal like a normal person but thought it would be a cool idea to just have a button or a switch for boost/fuzz.

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

TBX control is another option. A two way tone control that can either cut highs or cut bass for boosting highs.

Dyloh likes this.
  5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

The signal from a pickup is so small, really the only way you can get a noticeable increase in output is by adding another pickup. For instance if you join two pickups in Series, like a humbucker, you will get a noticeable increase in output. The downside is that it does affect the tone and the tone will be darker or less bright than a single coil pickup.

The best way to increase output is with an active clean boost or preamp. I use a compressor to do that as well.

kbold, LowCaster and Dyloh like this.
  6. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Thanks for chiming in fellas, I think im just a weirdo, for whatever reason I like the sound of boost rather than just the volume on my guitar and to make it worse I could just use a pedal like a normal person but instead im looking at the harder route. The guy with the TBX control was were I originally got the idea to wanna do something along those lines, smart fella.

7. jball85

jball85 TDPRI Member

a tapped ssl-5 via push-pull or toggle sounds like it might work for you.

8. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

Yep, tapped singlecoil.

For real beef, the Duncan QuarterPound is available with a tap. Full on, it sounds almost like a P90. Comes in both Strat and Tele versions.

D Allen makes a very good tapped Strat bridge that he sells as part of the Echoes set. Both settings sound like Strat, but one is beefier than average.Don't know offhand whether he makes a Tele equivalent.

Zhangbucker will custom wind you a tapped singlecoil to any specs of your choice. He makes some great pickups.

BB likes this.
  9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

The tapped single coil thing is good only if you really like the tone when it is tapped. I see it more as the opposite: a way to reduce volume and clean the tone of a hot pickup, but of course it works both ways. I have a strat with SSL1s that is begging for a SSL5...

Say you have a really nice single coil and you are already using it with the guitar volume at 10, and still want a volume boost (without pedal).

The first way to get this is to have a « no tone » position (as you find on Esquires). Even better a « direct to jack » position, no volume, no tone. Getting rid of the pots translates into a slight boost of volume and a massive boost of the highs. More presence and « cutting through the mix » power, more saturation from the amp but with clarity.

The second way is to have a second pickup (with RW/RP reverse wired/reverse polarity) wired in series with the first one to act as a humbucker (as opposed to pickups wired parallel as per the standard strat and tele wiring). You get a real boost of volume and a fatter tone with a slight loss of highs (a bit darker, just as a humbucker).

A third way is to use a second pickup that is setup closer to the strings than the other (imagine a strat with all those extra pickups ;) ) and switching to this pickups gives you the volume boost. Of course you could use a hotter second pickup or a humbucker.

Then we have coil tapping, using the volume control, and active boosts. Boost built into the guitar, boost pedals, two channel amplifier... In last ressort you can ask the other guys to play quieter. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    awasson, Dyloh and FenderLover like this.
  10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

For what it's worth Don Mare offers "the Stangrays" pickups for Telecasters, that are tapped: 6,6k and 7,8k, but you can custom spec them. I've never tried them, but I guess the 2nd tap should give you a slight volume boost and a little more mids.
    It sounds to me like a nice setup if a subtle change is what you're after. And you still keep the ability to play with the guitar's volume pot for more nuances.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  11. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Depending on the controls layout, another option may be a bypass switch. I think some Gibson LPs do this, with a push/pull used to bypass all tone and volume pots. It should provide substantial boost, but of course you lose all sound-shaping controls when in boost.

Dyloh likes this.
  12. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Getting a more powerful single coil with a tap, and using the tapped sound as the 'normal' tone is an option here. A volume pedal or knob that is on '5' will work, but the tone will be different. Just turn it up when you need volume. It is hard to do this passively.
    I just use a Pickup Booster pedal.

Dyloh likes this.
  13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

If you're looking for a passive boost from a switch, I achieve that in two of my teles with a 4-way switch: position #1, bridge; #2, both pickups in parallel; #3, neck; #4, both in series.

That position #4 is what I think of as my built in clean boost with the flip of the switch. I'll play rhythm parts/verses in position #2, standard tele configuration of both pickups in parallel. Or maybe, depending on the song, verses will be played through the neck pickup. Then, when I want to play an instrumental break, I'll flip the switch up to position #4, both in series.

This position has increased output, and lows and mids are more pronounced. So there's more girth to the tone of the two pickups. With my amp set pretty clean, flipping the switch to position 4 is like engaging a clean boost. If I have the amp set to edge of breakup, then switching to position 4 provides just the amount of overdrive I'm looking for.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I use a treble bypass circuit in my guitars. If that circuit is ‘tuned’ for the pickup, there is no tone change when rolling the volume up or down...the output changes while the frequency range is maintained. That is the simplest way to have a ‘passive boost’, ime.

Dyloh likes this.
  15. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

I'm not so much looking for a boost to use for leads or anything like that, I just jam at home and somewhere along the lines I picked up the idea of using a clean boost to do most of the pushing of the amp.

So I now do it with everything whether it's an amp or some type of emulator, seems to do something whether it's placebo or not.

Kind of in the process of building a guitar and thought maybe I could do something different though it looks like I'm already in way over my head.

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If you want something for your guitar with no batteries that will give you a volume bump, get a volume bypass switch, and set your volume lower than full. Then engaging your switch gives you a "boost". The only thing you need is a standard SPST switch, any kind will do.

Dyloh likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Plenty of good suggestion but I'm not sure your desire of "pushing the amp" with a passive boost is really realistic.

The suggestions of switching two single coils in series will push the amp a little, but a "boost" to push the amp is generally a preamp, not just a hotter pickup.

Preamps all have a power supply.
    While you can use your amp for boost by turning it up, then turning the guitar down any number of ways including with a treble bleed, you state that you don't want to turn the guitar down to get the boost from the amp.
    A tapped pickup is really not much different from turning the guitar down a little, since you have to wind a hot coil to tap it to a lower output.
    You can't tap a low output pickup and get more power.
    You have to wind a hot pickup then lower the total power so you can add it back.

Two pickups in series is a boost though, just really not much boost in terms of doing something like overdriving a clean amp.
    You need a powered preamp to overdrive a clean amp.

18. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Yeah I was kinda figuring it wouldn't be easy if it hasn't already been done yet. I don't really know the specifics of pickups and stuff so I apologize if I have butchered the terminology and came up with some impossible crack pot idea.

19. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No. Sorry, you can't sneak around the basic laws of physics.
    You could add a switch to put two pickups in series, which would effectively give you more output. Edit: as mentioned in post #5

Dyloh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.