Passive acoustic pickups.. .who's using what?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by flyingbanana, Oct 28, 2018.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use a K&K Trinity. It's the Pure Mini bridge plate sensors, plus a little gooseneck mic that sits right under the B string. Not like the Lyric mic at all, different animal. It could be passive, but sounds like crap that way, IMO. I didn't want much stuff in the guitar, though, so I use an outboard K&K mixer.

I like that setup much better than the Pure Mini alone. The mic adds 'air', high end, something. Makes it sound pretty natural to my ear.

That rig is in my Martin OM28V. When I got a D18GE, I didn't want to replicate all that. Instead, I got a cheap condenser mic, and run it to my Fishman Loudbox Mini.

Since I got that, I haven't played the OM once. Over a year now. I know, I can just play the OM through the mic, too, and I will, but the D18 sounds SO DARN GOOD through that mic... the K&K is toast.

Axis29 likes this.
  2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

K&K pickup. Fire-Eye Red-Eye preamp.

But I must say, I used a Dunlop Pro Mag single-coil soundhole pickup straight into a tube amp or PA for years and loved it. The big advantages are that (a) soundhole pickups can go from guitar to guitar and (b) the guitars don't need any modification. Just pop 'em in and play.

If you don't like that center position (I sure did, I could tilt it to bring out highs or lows), there are others that sit differently.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    flyingbanana likes this.
  3. Charlie Bernstein

RyCo1983 and Martin R like this.
  4. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Price high but that Red Eye looks to be a good product.

5. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

K&K mini here.
    I got the privilege of running sound for a woman while she used my guitar. Hour long and we did a soundcheck before. It needed a bass rolloff and a notch, IIRC, but that was it. Sounded great! (I can't recall if we used my K&K preamp or just a regular DI.)

Her dad was using a 700 series Taylor. I liked the K&K better than the Taylor - and that's really saying something. I'm very pleased. Wish I could hear my own gear like that more often :)

6. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

I use the K&K with LR Baggs Venue, really sounds nice and natural. Plue the Venue has an adjustable boost I think up to 9 decibels so you can get a little more oomph for solos.

RyCo1983 and brookdalebill like this.
  7. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

From the many I’ve tried K&K is the one I found that keeps the natural sound of your guitar the best - but it can struggle at high volumes so probably best choice for solo/duo acoustic rather than in a band with drummer.

asatfan likes this.
  8. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Pricy but very good is still the Sunrise with their preamp. Can be used without the pre, but sounds a lot better with. They estimate the battery life in the pre to be 2-3 years.

asatfan likes this.
  9. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

The K&K Pure Mini reigns supreme.

Alternatively...there is the
    JJB Electronics Prestige line of pickups, which are basically identical to the K&K at a significant discount.
    I'm guessing that they are made in the same plant.

I can vouch for both brands.

asatfan and flyingbanana like this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use Dean Markley Pickups I have saddle pickups on my acoustics and I use the DM's for stereo as well as X/Y pencil mikes then blend and process the sound for a stereo spread

dean-markley-promag-gold-humbucking-acoustic-guitar-pickup-p10963-18853_image.jpg

I found a second one in this color at a local second hand store for 5.00 now I have 2 of them worth every penny

Dean-Markley-2.jpg

for my classical I use these sounds great , I found a sweet spot on the sound board then I perminently installed it on the inside of the guitar at the same spot this one is a piezo as nylon strings dont pick up on magnetic pickups

dean_markley_dm3030_artist_transducer_acoustic_pickup_1158281.jpg

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  11. Charlie Bernstein

Yup, I used a Dean Markley Pro Mag for years, and it was great. Good sound, good price, reliable, easy.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.