Passenger lands plane when pilot has medical emergency

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
Heroes! I hope that there is no PTSD.

1652306160759.png

Robert Morgan (air traffic controller) and Darren Harrison (passenger)

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
Outstanding job, people of Florida!!! I used to fly around in a similar plane with a pilot friend, and I often wondered if I would be able to safely land the plane if he had a heart attack or something. I am not sure if I would have even been able to operate the radio to contact ATC.

Gene O.

Tele-Afflicted
Outstanding job, people of Florida!!! I used to fly around in a similar plane with a pilot friend, and I often wondered if I would be able to safely land the plane if he had a heart attack or something. I am not sure if I would have even been able to operate the radio to contact ATC.
Our acoustic trio played for a couple having her birthday party in their airplane hanger. The guy builds 2-seater, 200HP planes with a couple partners. He said to come up anytime and he'd take me for a ride. I wondered if he'd give me a quick course on, at the very minimum, how to use the radio.

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
A Cessna 208 is a Caravan with a single turboprop engine. It is fairly sizable and complex for a completely inexperienced person to land.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
WOW!!! That's a heck of a thing for a non-flyer to do! GREAT job dude, and GREAT job controller! Cessna 208 - nice place too ;) I think the owners insurance company should give them both a few bucks or something cause dang.... that could've turned into a really bad situation, really fast. I hope the pilot is doing ok.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
A Cessna 208 is a Caravan with a single turboprop engine. It is fairly sizable and complex for a completely inexperienced person to land.

No kidding man!!! I mean... wow. Any plane would be scary as heck for someone to land without experience, but a turboprop???? Geesh... incredible job they did no doubt about it.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Thankfully the ATC was also a certified instructor familiar with the plane. The passenger was also extremely calm. Great combination.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Ya know, It takes some cahones.

I have flown in various situations. I took pilot lessons. I can tell you in all seriousness....

I think I could relatively quickly learn to fly most common craft.
Taking off isn't generally that challenging either, with a few exceptions.

That landing thing though....
Can be complicated.

"It was touch and go, but I think I nailed it on the third try" isn't exactly the best approach

Props where props are due.

David Meiland

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
PBI has a 10,000 foot runway, a pretty good target for a Caravan.

We have a lot of Caravan traffic at our local airport, which is 3,400 feet. You need to know how to come in slow and then reverse the prop pitch to land those here.