Partscasters...would you do it again?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by blueruins, Jul 11, 2021.

Partscasters are...

1. The best, never buying off the shelf again

2. Cool but I would do it differently.

3. Crapshoot

4. Just a great diversion but nothing special

5. Not satisfied at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

My only argument with your choices is that IME one does not need a custom wound pickup to get the right sound.
    You DO need the right magnets, right wire and turn count done by qualified staff, but there are just as many cheap production pickups that sound great, and if you put a $$ amount on it when not sure what you will like in a new assembly, several used FCS, basic USA Fender, Duncan, Dimarzio etc, will give you a better chance of finding just the right pickup, than will spending $200- $300 on one set hoping the price makes them right.

Funny, my #1 now has one of the most hated pickups in it, a V Mod Jazzmaster pickup i got used for $40.
    Great brilliant fat tone.
    Nobody likes them on the net though because they don't really fit any of the standard descriptions of vintage pickups.
    More of a blend between Tele Strat and JM.

Tons of great pickups get removed and sold, often replaced before the buyer owner even plugs in the new guitar, due to shopping trends played out here and on TGP.

fleezinator, blueruins and vhilts1 like this.
  2. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

I agree....for me it’s more about not wanting to wait for a used PUP I might like....and I try to keep a small stable of guitars....so I can afford more $$$ in one if I want

blueruins and telemnemonics like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The down side to my method is I have to store almost a dozen bodies, more than a dozen necks, possibly 100 pickups, and a crazy pile bridges and guards etc etc.

When I need stuff like pickguard and control plate screws, I buy 100 in SS rather than chrome.

Oddly enough though this is all to play music with gear that doesn't annoy me with being sorta close to right.
    I don't enjoy working on guitars at all any more, and would happily pay $500 for a guitar if there was a single one on the racks I liked well enough.
    On very rare occasions I find an affordable guitar I like and buy it.
    Or walk away because it's just a little more than I want to pay.
    Bummer.

blueruins and vhilts1 like this.
  4. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Im looking at parts right now even tho I already have 3 partscasters. I also have 3 off the shelf. I'll do both again

The thrill is in the chase

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I did half a dozen parts guitars a few years ago. All done on a budget of $400 or less for parts. Made some decent players, only one I'm using though now is my parts P-Bass.

6. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

I've built/use several from the ground up, but back in the day, I'd 'customize' my off-the-shelf guitars to the point that they were what I'd consider a Partscaster.

As I'm sure we all do, I have very specific needs in the playability of my instruments - so it's easier to screw them together myself.

Is is 'worth it'? Not if you want to sell it to get your money back. BUT, it's totally worth it in terms of having exactly what you want to deliver your message.

FlyGuy10 and blueruins like this.
  7. beerguy

beerguy Tele-Meister

I've done a few partscasters, and they play & sound great, but all have been sold. As a hobby builder, I find myself drawn to more unusual designs:

Tele front.jpg 1st version A.jpg done front.jpg IMG_3269.JPG AstoCaster done, front.JPG Done, full.jpg

8. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

My two partscasters are (to me) among the best solid bodies I have ever played. And this is after several years on both. That's one of them in my avatar.

The second one (can be found in an eponymous thread by me) was pretty expensive - you could easily buy a good guitar for the parts cost, but something similar made by a luthier would be $3-5K.

The only thing I feel I got wrong was the control placement on #2. It has a long trem arm that blocks the controls more than would be perfect. On do over, I would use a Gibson style pu switch location and put my series / parallel switching on mini-toggles instead of on push-push switch pots.

I rarely feel any desire for an off the shelf guitar anymore - I liked the looks of that CS anniversary Jazzmaster with the burl fingerboard and new-style bridge but sound on utube was ho-hum.

I have two (unneeded) partscaster projects on the boil right now - that should indicate whether I would do it again :D

M2roadwarrior and blueruins like this.
  9. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I put my partscaster together in the early nineties. It has outlasted many other Teles-MIA,MIJ,MIM.
    I would absolutely do it again. It’s been my primary electric for 30 years. It’s taken it’s share of lumps but still looks great and plays great.

10. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nothing at all wrong with Partscasters. I've seem some good ones and bad ones. It all depends on who's building it and their understanding of how the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts.

But the real divide IMO between an off-the-rack Fender and a Partscaster is the intention of the owner. If you fully intend to build a Partscaster as a main player and most importantly you plan to keep the guitar, then it's a great option. But if you are the type of player who swaps guitars and sells gear a lot, I would advise against because Partscasters have a small percentage of the resale value of a stock production Fender guitar.

11. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

That has way better body grain than most of the off-the-rack Telecasters I've seen.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  12. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I just built my first, and had had loads of fun. The guitar looks, feels and sounds great...already eyeballing another build for next winter.

M2roadwarrior and FlyGuy10 like this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I have a similar method. It involves buying parts when I see a deal on them and storing them. Then, when I go to build a guitar or CBG, I can't figure out where I stored them and end up buying more parts. Then, a few days later, I locate the missing parts. One of these days I'll have to write a guitar parts inventory app to keep up with everything.

M2roadwarrior and KelvinS1965 like this.
  14. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I put my partscaster together in the early nineties. It has outlasted many other Teles-MIA,MIJ,MIM.
    I would absolutely do it again.

Sorry for the duplicate. Brain fart.

FlyGuy10 and KelvinS1965 like this.
  15. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

Well you did say you'd do it again...just maybe not the post. :D

I agree with the comments about building one as a main gigging guitar, rather than if you are a 'flipper'. My recent Strat was for this exact reason, I figured I'd be less upset if anything happens to it than if my 1982 Strat got stolen or damaged. After all the effort I've put in to build it I think I'd still be pretty annoyed though.:oops:

16. chucker

chucker Tele-Meister

you always have all the high quality parts should you not be satisfied with a build.

17. bluesguy62

bluesguy62 TDPRI Member

+1

18. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

I'm just reaching an interesting stage of my first partscaster build, and I think it's going to turn out ok (and unlike anything that is available 'off the shelf'), as long as I continue to take my time and think things through. I already have a plan for the next one, so yes, I'm going to do it again

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  19. instrumentofsound

instrumentofsound TDPRI Member

Unless its something really cool, I'm going to build my bolt-ons from now on. Im into weird stuff like sustainer pickups anyways, to pay someone to do this stuff custom would be exorbitant. Most of the time I find the process of building and trouble shooting very enjoyable.

I entirely get why many wouldn't, but after learning how to level frets I can put together a pretty good playing guitar from basic parts. They totally wouldn't be worth much if I decided to sell them, but that's an excuse to keep them.

I dont have the tools to do fretting at the moment- doing weird temperaments and tunings have me thinking about moving in that direction, though.

Norrin Radd likes this.
  20. paulhealey

paulhealey TDPRI Member

I think you need to start with an end goal in mind. From there the first plan of attack should be to look for an off the shelf guitar that is close. The problems I’ve had with partscasters is the price and sometimes the parts don’t sound great together. If you are going to mod an off the shelf, you can look for one that sounds good and tweak. Of course if what what you want doesn’t exist - you do what you must.

instrumentofsound likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.