1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Partscaster La Cabronita?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by thorton077, Nov 5, 2012.

1. thorton077

thorton077 Tele-Afflicted

I am wanting to build my first partscaster, and was thinking of doing a la cabronita. I wanted to know how cheaply it could be done, and where I should source my parts from.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

It depends.

3. thorton077

On what?

4. thinling

thinling Tele-Meister

I'm making a Cabronita for my first build. With hindsight, that isn't the cheapest way to go, because the body, with its unusual pickup routing, is not very common. A regular tele body would be easier to find cheaply. I don't mind though, because I really want the TV Jones pickup!

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have two suggestions/opinions.
    Don't "cheap out" on the pickups, or bridge.
    I strongly recommend TV Jones Classic, Classic +, or Supertron pickups.
    They are the magic bullet for great Filtertron tone.
    A good, vintage style, 3 (brass) saddle bridge will help, too.
    I find wood, though important, is secondary to these two components.

6. grinchmonkey

grinchmonkey Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I like Warmoth. I am about to post my partscaster build, which was a take on a La Cabronita and a baritone - although I might change that out.

As for cheap - I continue to add things until it is rather pricey, but you can get well made parts from them for what I consider "cheap". I just always end up making it expensive.

7. brookdalebill

TV Jones Classic, Classic+, and Supertrons sound best in Cabronitas, IMO.
    Don't "cheap out" on the pickups.

8. Mr. E

Mr. E Tele-Holic

I believe there was a thread here with a price list of things to build one. For both, single and double pickup models. The prices might have changed a bit but it could give you an idea.

9. thorton077

Alright so I know I won't cheap out on pickups or bridge. Where should I get these?
    What are good places for cheap body neck and hardware?

10. Mr. E

Mr. E Tele-Holic

11. Mr. E

Mr. E Tele-Holic

I would suggest not "cheaping out" on anything when building a guitar. What I mean with this is don't settle for cheap tuners or bridge or wiring. Chances are they might screw up and you'll replace them later. It's better to spend a little more and not worry about them than deal with them until you replace them for some that cause less trouble. You could try to go cheap on knobs, neckplate, strap buttons, etc. Little things that don't really matter whether they were made by Glendale or if they were from an old Squier.

12. brookdalebill

Sorry for the, uh, triple post.

13. Jupiter

How handy are you? Do you want to use new parts or old? Do you have any stuff (bridges, tuners, etc.) lying around? Do you want to paint it yourself, or get a finished body? Do you want any funky specs on your neck? TVJs or Gretsch filtertrons? (or GFS?)

There's a huge span of cost, depending on the specs you want. I bought an unfinished Rutters body (about $120 back then), an unfinished Musikraft neck (about $200), a TVJones Classic+ PU (about $135), and a Rutters chopped bridge (about $90), Gotoh vintage-style staggered locking tuners (I forget what they cost, but not cheap). Mine cost about $700-800 bucks--not cheap, but I went with deluxe parts. I finished the body and neck myself with Tru-Oil, and I cut the PG myself from a free scrap of MOTS PG material. If you need the body and neck already painted, you'll pay 100's extra, but you can compensate with cheaper or used components.

BTW, I was extremely satisfied with the Rutters and Musikraft stuff!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  14. jnepo1

jnepo1 Tele-Meister

I built a La Cab. I bought my body thru Marc Rutters and the neck is an Allparts V-C neck. Don't cheap-out, not worth it.

I also got one of Marc's "Twisted" jack cup "shallow". It allows me to use right angle plugs rather than straight plugs.

15. grinchmonkey

grinchmonkey Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Do you like the Twisted Cup? I almost bought that but went with the Rutters Cup like an electrosocket. It seemed a lot easier than having that extra piece that holds the jack in place on normal Teles.

16. Jupiter

I got the same one as jnepo1. I like it. :D Recently had to deal with the stock one falling out of my MIJ tele. What a dumb design.... :mad:

17. jnepo1

jnepo1 Tele-Meister

Excellent! I have since bought another twisted shallow cup from Marc and also bought another body, this one a Tele w/ P-90 for the neck w/ a contoured forearm and tummy cut-out. In fact, I bought another one after that body, so that makes 3 bodies that I have bought from Marc w/in the last 5 months.

Great guy, great builds. Quality work!

18. jimbo53

jimbo53 TDPRI Member

I'm putting the parts together for a Cabrionita Especiale one pickup build using an Avril Lavigne Squier as a base. Due to the teenie-bopper rep, these are pretty cheap to pick up. Got mine on Craigs List for $150 and it's like new and unplayed. Got a GFS Liverpool Retrotron on Ebay for $30. From GFS I ordered a w/b/w Esquire pickguard, pots, knobs and an undrilled control plate. I'm going to use the Cabrio Especiale one pickup Greasebucket wiring diagram, with some changes. I'm dropping the 3 way and putting in a vol and tone along with a top loader plug-so I'll have 3 holes to drill in my blank control plate and not worry about having to drill for the jack cup. I like the idea of having the vol pot near the pickup so I can do pinkie swells. The black body will stay the same, but will paint the headstock black and put on a chrome raised spaghetti Fender headstock logo I found on Ebay which should look good with the rosewood board. Am also going off grid and making this a Macawber Cabrio, setting it up for open G tuning (11-15-18-30-42). Will put another 11 on the 6th string rather than leave it off so I can play it as an electric banjo. Also ordered some Schaller banjo D for the 2nd and 3rd pegs so I can get some string bending steel guitar sounds.
    This has the potential to be an amazing rig, or could just be an interesting exercise in thinking outside the electric guitar box. Either way, I'm having fun and when I start the build I'll document it here.

19. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the selling of repro Fender decals/logos is illegal? (Unless obtained directly, legitimately from Fender itself to replace a logo on a verified Fender neck?)

No doubt this will have been discussed/argued etc many times before on this forum, so someone with far more knowledge than me can comment on this?

20. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

That is correct.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.