Partscaster build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ArtVandelay, Jan 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay TDPRI Member

Hello everyone,

I am on the process of building a partscaster and I have no prior experience setting up a guitar and I almost got everything to complete the partscaster.

As the first step, I want to fit the neck to the body (not sure if this is a good first step) and I ordered the neck without holes on it. So right now I am just trying to make sure I am doing everything correctly and I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I do something irreversible.

I put the bridge to its place.

IMG_20200120_115752.jpg

I tried to find the "perfect" position for the neck.

IMG_20200120_115737.jpg

My question is how do you guys make sure you align everything perfectly to drill the neck? To me what I did looks "aligned" but how do I make sure of it?

My other question is, what size of drill bit do you use to drill pickguard holes? The bridge that I got has an extra two holes that need to be drilled to be attached to the body. (It looks like those extra two bridge holes and the pickguard holes are the same sizes)

IMG_20200120_115728.jpg

IMG_20200120_115733.jpg

IMG_20200120_115922.jpg

IMG_20200120_115859.jpg

IMG_20200120_115807.jpg

IMG_20200120_115817.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Looks fine.

Your neck screws need to go through the body without any resistence and any need to screw them through.

Use a forstner drill bit the size of the body holes to mark the positions of the screw holes on the neck while it us clamped on the body.

You need to have drill bits that perfectly match your neck screws. I use calipers to be sure.

I've used normal twist drill bits to make holes in necks, three in successive sizes. I've hand twirled the smallest to establish an entry point.

You need to be very certain you are drilling perfectly vertically into a firmly clamped neck.

All drill bits need to marked for depth. I use painters masking tape.

Screws may be lubricated with the ordinary candle wax before screwing in.

Have fun!

Strato50 likes this.
  3. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

To aligned the neck put the 4th & 3rd string on there and make sure them fret markers are flush center between them 2 strings then check the low E and high E if the neck and markers are straight you wont have any problems

Joeyb817, Buzzgrowl and Strato50 like this.
  4. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay TDPRI Member

Neck screws go through the body without any resistance or screwing. The holes on the body are 11/64, I can just drop it in perfectly and it looks like 5/32 is the diameter of the neck screws. I don't have Brad Point drill bit for 5/32 and I think I need one to drill easily. I do have a 5/32 split point drill bit but I don't know if that will help me to drill it.

5. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

I personaly would not drill the neck with a brad point. But I would use one to make precise markings.

The final drill bit for drilling the neck should only be as wide as the inner shaft of your neck screws. Not the total width.

6. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay TDPRI Member

After I made the alignment, I used neck screws to mark the points on the neck.

Thank you Buzzgrowl pointing this out!

I used 1/8" Brad Point drill bit to drill the neck holes. I used "Brute Lube" to lube the neck screws and screw them in.

Here is the result:

IMG_20200120_175842.jpg

Attached Files:

Blue Bill and Buzzgrowl like this.
  7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Nailed it.

Edit... Oh wait, those are screws!

Gotta ask now that I'm back.... Is your neck pickup mounted to the pickguard or will it be mounted to the body?
    Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

8. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay TDPRI Member

Well, that is an excellent question! While I am not sure, the pickguard does not have any screw holes for the neck pickup... I guess I am attaching it to the body? I did not notice I had to do that until you ask this question. Never owned a Tele before. :D

Attached Files:

9. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

It is tricky if you decide to mount it to the body. If the pickup is not centered to the cutout it could be leaning forward or backward.

The first time I did it, I thought I had it centered, but I had the holes too far back in the pickup cavity. I had to fill the holes and re-drill.

When you mount it to the body, there are several ways to keep it at the desired height. The original Fender way was surgical tubing around the screws between the bottom of pickup and the body, then springs, and finally a dense foam under the pickup, between the pickup and the body.

If you want the pickup to be adjustable for height without removing the pickguard then you need to drill two small holes in the pickguard and use surgical tubing or springs between the pickguard and the pickup. Most pickups these days come with springs or tubing.

Now.... If you're going for a vintage look, don't drill the pickguard. That is a more modern feature.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

10. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

This depends if you cut the nut for equal spacing from center of one string to center of the next, or from outer diameter of one string to the outer of the other.

11. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay TDPRI Member

I had no idea about this, thank you so much for sharing your experience! I guess I need to search the internet to gather more information about this... Never-ending journey :rolleyes:

I will probably mount it to the body.

12. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay TDPRI Member

After a long time, today I had some free time for my Partscaster.

- Installed copper shield.
    - Installed the pickups. (Monty's Danish Pete DP51 Telecaster Set)
    - Drilled the peg holes for Fender locking tuners and installed them. (Used a 3/32inch drill bit to drill the peg holes and then used brute lube on the pegs as I pushed them into their sockets. Brute lube made it so easy to install, I definitely recommended it.)

I am planning to finish the build this weekend and I can not wait for it :)

Attached Files:

jfgesquire and Blue Bill like this.
  13. illinismitty

illinismitty TDPRI Member

Looks great. I am hoping to finish my partscaster build this weekend. I am waiting on my nut so I can align the neck and bridge. I had to return early from Europe, so not all parts were here yet. This will be my first build as well. Made some rookie mistakes along the way...but nothing that can not be fixed.

14. wdlfireman

wdlfireman TDPRI Member

4-way switch, right??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.