Partscaster bridge suggestions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by KingRazor, Jul 18, 2019.

1. KingRazor

KingRazor Tele-Meister

Looking at building a partscaster with a 3 saddle ash tray and was wondering what a good option would be. Looking for a good balance of "vintage" tone and tuning stability/intonation.

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

3. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Rutters, Glendale, Rutters, Glendale, Rutters, Glendale, Rutters, Glendale,
    Rutters, Glendale, Rutters, Glendale,
    Rutters, Glendale...

DavidP likes this.
  4. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Plain old Fender Pat Pend bridge plate and threaded steel saddles.

5. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Gotoh 6 saddle bridge perfect intonation

mistermikev likes this.
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor Tele-Meister

I'm specifically looking at 3 saddle bridges.

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I guarantee no one can pass a blind test and tell the $20 Wilkinson from a Callaham, Fender, Glendale, Rutters or any of the $100 plus bridges.

2012-TDPRI-cocosonic11.jpg

8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

If you can find someone parting out a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, it's got some nice vintage looking parts including the Alnico 3 or 5 pickups.

Bridge is a little heavier than the Fender branded ones and it comes with brass saddles. The threads, if I'm not mistaken, are also US spec and NOT metric.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Glendale or Rutters if you just want to blow a lot of money.....they're very good.
    Otherwise, go with the Wilkinson for about twenty dollars......three compensated brass saddles, string through OR top load, incredible value and quality.

10. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

If you'd like one without a name or logo on it, Philadelphia Luthier Supply sells some real nice ones at a fair price.

I've used both the steel and stainless steel versions and they are both very good.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'll also rec the Wilkinson. Cheap, solid, never had a problem with them.

- D

Dismalhead likes this.
  12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I cheap out on the bridge, and splurge on a set of Rutters compensated saddles!

13. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Pick the one that looks the best, add compensated saddles if it doesn't have them already.
    I accept the argument that saddles make a discernible difference, the plate not so much.

Vermoulian likes this.
  14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

for bragging rights, the Glendale or Callaham.... for impeccable quality at a more wallet friendly price, the Gotoh Intune BS TC1 .. with compensated saddles...

while there is a huge array of bridges available, those three are the most often requested on customs that I build.... and "Best" is a concept that only exists relative to your personal choices... the simple truth is, the very pedestrian Original Fender bridge has exactly the same opportunity to perform as well and sound as good as ANY bridge you care to mention, be it a production piece or an exotic boutique creation...

Were I you, I'd just get what I wanted...

rk

archetype and mistermikev like this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I often just get the $5-$7 ebay import bridges, steel, brass, and compensated versions are out there. Mounting holes will be metric so slightly more holes if retrofitting but fine for new builds. Some are both top and through-body-string capable but if not I drill for top loading. I dislike flipping the guitar like a slippery fish while putting strings through the back and I don't subscribe to the through-hole toanz, plus no one can seem to drill those through holes in a straight line.

16. KingRazor

KingRazor Tele-Meister

The reason I asked is because I don't know what I want. I haven't tried any of the bridges mentioned before. I intentionally didn't use the word "best" because like I was saying in my OP I just want something the sounds "vintage correct" and intonates reliably. I don't have any need to have the "best". But I also don't need it to be the cheapest possible option either, I'm not necessarily on a budget, but if I don't have to spend $90+ on a bridge to get what I'm looking for, great!

17. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

This is my thought as well. There are not that many variables in a Tele bridge, and I can't think of much if anything that would differentiate one ashtray from another in any functional sense. The main things to think about are saddle material (brass vs. steel vs. whatever) and compensated vs. straight. With compensated brass saddles so widely available now, you should be able to get a bridge with them for not much money, and I think it's highly unlikely you or anybody else could tell any functional difference between a regular generic bridge of that configuration and one of the big-money specialty bridges. If you want to splurge on a name-brand component, I could see getting the compensated saddles from Callaham or whoever, but I think you'd get the same result if you installed them on a cheapo ashtray as you if you got the entire assembly being from one of the big names.

18. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

19. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

not at all unusual... the problem is every bridge maker makes grandiose claims about their bridge... however, and compounding the issue is that, each bridge will be on a completely unique guitar, simply because its impossible to make two guitars that are sonically alike...

Since the guitar has no idea if the bridge is a 25.00 original Fender or a 400.00 custom milled titanium marvel.. it's just gonna process whatever the bridge generates through the "soup" that comprises the guitar.... that's why it's entirely possible for a 10.00 made in China turkey to sound better than the Titanium marvel... the only way to know is to try 'em all..

Since that's unrealistic.... ya gotta just let the cognitive conundrum settle on what looks good you... it'll be fine... if there are no economic "speed bumps", I'd go worth the Callaham or Glendale...

rk

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Put me on the Wilkinson list. Solid hardware for a great price.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Macrogats and StrangerNY like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.