1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Partscaster as your only guitar ?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Ghostdriver, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

My 3 electrics are all partscasters I put together. I like the fact that I can choose every single part to suit my preferences. Plus, I can do the setup to suit my taste while knowing the ins and outs of how the neck and body fit together.

nortally and TeleTown like this.
  2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I do not own ANY Fenders, but I do have many partscaster builds.
    I do have more.
    IMG_0074.jpg IMG_0153.jpg IMG_0151.jpg IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0200.jpg IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0447.jpg

3. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

My only real fender I’m considering selling. I only really prefer my partscasters

Ghostdriver likes this.
  4. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yep, exactly what I am feelin !

nortally and MarkA like this.
  5. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

If you are going to mod anyway, might as well get the parts you want and put together the guitar you want;)

YALCaster likes this.
  6. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

None of my 3 guitars are stock.

7. radar

radar TDPRI Member

I only have a Fender Jazz Bass, everything else is either built from parts, designed and built from scratch, or modded beyond recognition.

I have nothing against Fender instruments, I love the designs, but I always have the nagging feeling that a stock guitar has been specced down to a profit margin and price point, rather than allowed to be what it should be.

8. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

IMG_20200605_183629.jpg

I still have about 4 factory made guitars left, 3 Strats and a Tele, but I mostly keep them around for sentimental value. Everything else is either partscaster or DIY build. Everything else I used to have I sold off to make room for new builds.

Plustop and Danb541 like this.
  9. Wharfcreek

Wharfcreek Tele-Meister

My avatar is also a 'parts-caster', one of 3 I built as project guitars when I was ambitious and looking for things to do. I'm down to just one Tele..... but I still consider it a 'must have' guitar. But, I say that as it relates to it being a 'stock' Tele vs highly modified. And, by 'stock', I'm referencing the basic pickups, switches, and tone controls that you'd find on an 'off the shelf' Fender unit. To me, once you start putting Humbuckers or P-90s or what-ever into them, you get to that point of 'When is a Tele 'NOT' a Tele anymore?' I love the guitar for what it is....or 'was'......and not so much for what it 'can be'. Yes, the mods are cool, and as a player I can certainly relate to the value and flexibility created by changing and adding things to the guitar. But, I've just come to a point in my life where the simplicity of something being what it was made to be helps me make choices about what I want to have, play, and keep. Because the character of a 'stock' Tele is so incredibly unique..... it falls into my 'must have' category. And, I love the one I built basically because it 'feels' better to me than any 'new' Tele I could buy. And, I built it, so that counts for something too. I wish I had my first old Tele...... it would be worth about $50K! But, I can guarantee that this one I built sounds as good, feels as good, and plays as well as that old one ever did! Nothing wrong with 'new' or 'original'....but .... a good 'parts-caster' assembled by someone who knows what they're doing and does it right....that can be glorious!

Plustop and Kriticaster like this.
  10. alexwilds

alexwilds Tele-Meister

I build partscasters all the time - the telecaster is just a format that I like to base my designs around. But my main axe is a 1980 Tokai Breezysound, somewhat modified. It would take a keen eye to tell it from a real 1950's blackguard (it is one of those excellent "law suit" guitars). It looks, plays and sounds better than a lot of genuine Fender Telecasters out there.

I do not think a telecaster needs to be assembled by hired hands in the Fender factory to be a great guitar.

11. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've got Seth & Jerry on my Kirn. Great combo!

12. soundcloset

soundcloset TDPRI Member

They are all partscasters and only one has a factory-built body, except for the acoustic. I (1) have the tools and (2) always seem to have chunks of interesting wood at hand and (3) am left-handed, so the choices are fewer. The only guitar I bought close to new was a Peavey Haircaster from the 80's. Okay, it was a Ntro, to be specific, with a carved triple droopy headstock and a locking trem, which was (mercifully?) stolen in Honduras.

Kriticaster likes this.
  13. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty much all of mine are. I have 4.

14. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

Warmoth tele was my main and only electric guitar for quite a while. I have never purchased any Fender guitars myself. Only traded something for them and then sold them ;)

15. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

My Tele doesn't have a single Fender part on it nor did my 5 string P-Bass. I have no use for stock Fenders or any other brand, really. I'm a bit picky.

Ghostdriver and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

That's a beauty. Is that a TK CC in the neck?

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

thanks

yes, it's a TK Smith, and wired to a treble bleed

a matched Novak in the bridge

Rutters hardware

18. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have a CC II pole piece that I plan to install when I find the right body. Was thinking of ordering the matched bridge as well, very curious. Do you like the Novak? How does it differ from a general Tele bridge?

19. Ricoblues

Ricoblues TDPRI Member

My number one is an luthier (a friend of mine) made telecaster a "modern '52" style but I'm planning to sell my Les Paul standard to buy an original Usa telecaster with "rosewood" fretboard.

20. Lordwhimsey

Lordwhimsey TDPRI Member

I've got a Fender Telecaster and two Gibson LP Specials but I only really use my mahogany, Hosco partscaster.

[​IMG]

RicoC3PO, SbS, Ghostdriver and 6 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.