1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Partscaster as your only guitar ?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Ghostdriver, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

This is funny, I hadn't really thought about it. I don't have any actual Fender's anymore. My last one was a 1992 MIM Tele top loader, I sold it a few years ago. Here is my current line up, all partscasters. I hope the fender logos on some of these don't upset people. I stopped doing that a while ago and always write "not a real fender" inside the pickup cavities on these guitars. Most people would be able to tell by looking anyways. Here are some of them, I'm probably forgetting a few. IMG_3766 (2).JPG COVID PARTSCASTERS.jpeg IMG_6911.JPG IMG_6910.JPG IMG_7365.JPG 1.JPG IMG_4415.JPG 2.JPG F.JPG

2. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

more IMG_8189.JPG IMG_1873.JPG Tele I built for Lloyd Tolbert 2019.JPG K.jpg

3. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Yup, five of them to be exact. Working on an Esquire now.

Attached Files:

4. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

I built 2 Partscaster’s during the COVID lockdown.

A Strat and a Tele. Neither is perfect (first 2 builds). However, after a couple of weeks, I came to the conclusion that they do everything that my 70th Anniversary Broadcaster and Mexican Strat did.

I did keep Squier Esquire, but sold off the the Fender Broadcaster and Strat.

Instead of having all my money tied up in guitars that where essentially serving the same purpose, i decided to try my hand at drums and took some of the money and while learning from scratch at 62 is a very humbling experience, I’m listening to music from a very different perspective and having a ball.

upload_2020-7-16_19-14-25.jpeg

5. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

Well, almost....

I did sell Tele because I preferred the thinline I built. I also built a Jag like. However, I still have a Mustang Pawn Shop Special I had picked up new for next to nothing.

6. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Player Series.... Vintage noiseless??

Plustop likes this.
  7. holndav

holndav Friend of Leo's

1) Circa April 2020

[​IMG]

2) Circa Oct. 2001

[​IMG]

Both are easy to play esquire clones, one with the Eldred mod, the other without.

Utility and very nice tone from quality pickups and electronics.

Nothing fancy.

Cheers!

Plustop, Jlwctn, zippofan and 7 others like this.
  8. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

All 3 of my teles are partscasters. Sold 2 Fenders and after I built my first partscaster, I realized how much of a monster of a guitar you can put together instead of buying one.

Working on a partscaster for my dad at the moment.

Plustop, Kriticaster and Ghostdriver like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Abso-effing-lutely!

For 40 years now at that.
    But most are made from Fender parts, which is key to what makes Fender guitars better than old timey glued in neck guitars.
    The parts of a guitar work best if they're the right parts rather than some random choice made in a board room.

I do have I think two bone stock production electrics, a late ‘70s Carvin that has no room for improvement, and a surprisingly good Squier Stagemaster 7 string that really only needs better pickups.

Kriticaster likes this.
  10. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

All my electrics are ones I've built now.
    I started with building a jazzmaster, which I'm pretty sure still has wiring issues.... the wiring of that thing still gives me nightmares so I haven't gone back to fix it yet.
    Then I built a walnut 335 with a bigsby. I got the body off of GFS when they had a special buy.
    Then two telecasters and two more teles about finished. Everything about a tele, from cutting and routing to wiring it up is pretty straight forward, and there are so many variations possible. so it just makes sense to have 4 of them haha.
    I wind my pickups, and source the parts over time, so it usually costs me a lot less than even MIM fenders.
    When I started building my Jazzmaster people warned me it would not be my first... unfortunately I have become more and more proficient as a builder, and less and less as a player
    After the teles are finished I want to do an SG. A Les Paul. And some kind of Jazz box. And then I'm done. Really....

adamstrings and Kriticaster like this.
  11. Gclef

Gclef TDPRI Member

While I am lucky to not have to be in that unfortunate predicament.

But, if I was, I'd be happy to play just this guy
    20181210_220032.jpg
    Chambered alder hardtail body with a maple/maple neck with ss frets.
    Lace holy grails run thru a Clapton circuit.

I just put a freeway 6way tele switch and a fishman battery/trem cover in.

It is a dynamite guitar, and uniquely mine.

It's the one I'd grab in a fire.

Kriticaster likes this.
  12. TMGCUSTOM

TMGCUSTOM TDPRI Member

Love me some partscasters.... IMG_0005 (6).JPG IMG_0312 (3).JPG

13. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I have a Nashville Power Tele that has a replacement neck, with Grover 21:1 tuners, replacement bridge pu, Seymour Duncan stacked humbucker in the neck, and a noiseless Strat pu in the mid position. About all that is left that's Fender is the pickguard, selector switch and control plate. My PARTSCASTER is a Guitar Fetish body and bridge pu, replacement neck, Gibson minihum in the neck, Jazz Bass style control plate, not sure of the pedigree of the pickguard, Schaller locking tuners. The bridge is Fender, brass saddles. THIS partscaster could be a one and only, if it came down to it 20200516_153341.jpg

Plustop and Kriticaster like this.
  14. MarkA

MarkA Tele-Meister

Sold my fenders a couple years ago, Gibson’s are currently for sale. I’m only playing my 3 favourite partcasters now, they feel, play, look and sound better. There is a connection with playing a guitar that you build, even if it was just choosing parts and assembling.

Plustop, Kriticaster and Ghostdriver like this.
  15. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

15 T-styles, been gigging em all for the last 15 yrs. I build a new one every yr. Out side of paint(Bob Kennedy), I build and do all the work myself with top of the line parts only> Rutters, Guitar Mill, Musikraft, etc. It all changed the day I took a tour of the Fender plant in Cal. Lets just say I was a bit disappointed. Never will I drop 2-4K for a decal again. As the old saying goes, None so blind as those who will not see.

Plustop, adamstrings and Ghostdriver like this.
  16. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Deluxe Player Series Strat: standard with vintage noiseless PUs, locking tuners, contour heel, and punch in switch for bridge PU. I thought it was worth another $150. My shop has a lot of AC hum, thus tried the noiseless PUs but they were too clean and dry for my taste.

17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I recently bought a Fender strat while in Japan just to have something to play. Great guitar but my cobbled together creations have just been ‘home’ for me since the mid 80’s. I am spoiled to having a neck that I spec’d on every guitar, even my acoustic. They may expensive, might not have much resale value, but at least they’re ugly!... I mean,er, wait....

18. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

I love the idea of building, and I have the skills necessary. I have discovered lately, though, that I'm exceedingly lazy.

Instead, I look for deals on inexpensive guitars that basically feel good and then level & crown the frets, roll the fretboard edges, and do a good setup - sometimes with the help of a luthier friend. Never even seen the need to change pickups, electronics, or tuners unless they break.

This gives me a nice. serviceable guitar that plays very well, and I can use my time to find other reasons not to practice.

Plustop and singlecoil like this.
  19. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

My main guitars are partscasters based on Telecasters. I’ve never owned a genuine Fender.

Plustop, 4pickupguy and Kriticaster like this.
  20. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

Here are my 2 builds and the reason I sold my Broadcaster and Mex Strat

upload_2020-7-17_18-23-38.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-17_18-24-1.jpeg

Ghostdriver likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.