Partscaster as your only guitar ?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Ghostdriver, Jul 16, 2020.

1. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

I did last year for several months. And I'd do it again. Partscasters open up so many doors that you don't always have access to with off-the-shelf options.

TeleTown and Ghostdriver like this.
  2. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I'm pretty much all partscasters right now, I guess technically my Strat is still a Fender?

- Telecaster with Squier body, Warmoth neck, Texas Special pickups. Stock bridge, all electronics replaced.

- Telecaster with cheapo no name body, Squier Jagmaster neck, Bare Knuckle Flat 50's pickups, Joe Barden bridge.

- Fender 90's Black Label Mexican Strat, with Bootstrap 54 Pro's in the neck and middle and a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF in the bridge, all electronics replaced. Stock bridge.

at least thats my main 3, I also have a cheap Jackson Roads V that I use in a metal band I play with sometimes and an old Kapa Cobra that I play around with at home.

Ghostdriver likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I own two Fenders (a Strat and Tele) Gibson, PRS, and Grote, as well as Fender and Hofner basses. The partscaster Tele I built last year gets 95% of my playing time, and 100% of gigging time. (well, it used to :( ) I've said before.....Fender simply DOES NOT MAKE a model with my preferences.

Ghostdriver likes this.
  4. allesz

allesz Tele-Holic

I have three electric guitars, and they are all partcasters. Included my main tele, of course.

I would not suggest this to a newbie; but I know how to solder and how to adjust the neck and the strings the way I like.

Yesterday I was playing my tele (in the bedroom :() and I really thought how I liked my guitar.

But, give me some money to spare... And I Will get a NFGD, NVFGD ban from tdpri in a week. But keep my beloved "bast*rds".

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I'm down to 5 Fenders. 2 Strats and 3 jags. But I could part with 2 of those jags any time and not lose sleep. I have 5 guitars that I've made that are actually pretty good, and a couple of them are pretty great. I've been playing those 100% more than my Fenders for the last year or so.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

My #1 tele is a partscaster, and for the most part I mod everything - though, I guess, less than in the past. My only Fender guitar is a heavily modded strat. My other guitars range from completely stock (Lakland bass) to completely hacked up (Reverend Pete Anderson).

7. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

While not exactly a partscaster, my one and only for several years was a Dean strat copy I bought for $10 from a lady whose young son had interest in learning guitar until about 3 weeks after Christmas. Only the wood is original. I built a new pickguard to suit, swapped out all the electronics, new nut, fretwork, tuning machines, and saddles. Now it's my knockaround/loaner guitar, and if something ever happened to it, I would be out maybe $80 (not including my labor). I also have a Warmoth super strat that is torn down for a refinish and new electronics. I haven't owned a Fender since I sold my SRV strat to make rent one cold and lean month in the winter of 2004.

Kriticaster and nojazzhere like this.
  8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I’d buy a Squire or a Partscaster.
    I am reminded of a TDPRI member who recently purchased
    an Anniversary Broadcaster for $1999.99 and the quality
    was shall I say lacking - two grand...

Fender needs to lose The Suits so they can hire dozens of
    QC PEOPLE who will give instruments meticulous looks before they go on the truck.

There are WAY TOO MANY WRKP ACCOUNTING GEEKS LIKE LES calling the shots in FMIC.
    ...and they have to go. A NIPPON OUTFIT WOULD NOT TOLERATE SUCH POISONING OF THE WORKPLACE ATMOSPHERE.

I cannot imagine dropping 2K on something and it not being excellent.

My most sincerest condolences to everyone who got a $$$$ Turdocaster.

TeleTown likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

To get business loans these days you have to have people on your team who enjoy sitting in a day long meeting discussing which rounding method to use.

Speaking of QC, most of the manufacturing line software I write deals with QC steps. This morning I'm coding yet another step to insure the correct/updated FCC labels are on the radios shipped with our products. We can't have the products go out with the wrong label. I hope someone at Fender is doing the same kind of job.

TeleTown likes this.
  10. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

11. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I have two fenders, but they're pretty modded out. My main guitar is actually a firefly 338 (Chinese knockoff of a Gibson 335) that I threw some Duncan Antiquities in.

The only advantage to a fender guitar is the resale value. If you don't care about that, the name on the headstock is just that.

Kriticaster likes this.
  12. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

My only electric guitar is a partscaster Tele.

Nearly identical specs to a Fender model that I liked the best and have owned a couple of over the years (older 52AVRI) with some small tweaks to make it exactly what I wanted:

-CVC body. Always wanted a double bound 3TSB body with a maple neck.

-Classic 50's Tele neck (pretty chunky neck, 99.9% identical to the 2008 52AVRI I used to have minus the lacquer finish since this one is poly and I installed a bone nut and had the neck PLEK'd).

-Fender OV pickups and StewMac Golden Age 5-way harness

-Fender bridge and Fender compensated brass saddles.

All for a FRACTION of a new (or even used AVRI, etc). This guitar plays better than anything off the rack, is lightweight, and sounds and looks incredible.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I've been a luthier/woodworker for lots of years so both of my teles are partscasters, and both ran north of $600. However, when it came to to get stratified, I went Player series. Everything about it is great but, alas, I couldn't bond with the vintage noiseless and switched them out for Boostraps.

14. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

My solid body electrics consist of 2 tele style home brews made from USACG bodies and necks and a LP Jr tribute from a PGK kit. The ones that have air inside the body rather than solid all the way through are 'store-bought'. I don't run into many solid bodies that make me wish I had something other than these. That's good since I don't have room to add to the total number of instruments I own and, even if I wanted to, I couldn't sell these for anywhere close to what they are worth so I guess I'm stuck with them until I depart the planet.
    IMG_3645.jpg

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

You all rock with your partscasters. A very inspiring thread.

16. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I haven't owned/played anything but partscasters (electric) since I sold my Strat back in the early 90s, until I bought my Gretsch about a year ago.

Kriticaster likes this.
  17. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Blanca.jpg
    Fender Mexi body, Misikraft neck, Tonerider pickups, El Dorado hardware, Hipshot gizmo.
    Right before the "stay at home" initiative I traded a really nice Tele for a Gretsch. The partscaster above is my Number 1 guitar though. I have a JLV Strat with a couple of mods, but it doesn't exactly qualify as a partscaster.

18. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

It's about options and configurations and most of my main guitars are partscasters because they don't really offer these options or configurations from any manufacturers.[​IMG]

Macrogats, ndcaster and BBQedIguana like this.
  19. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. That's the nice thing about building a partscaster, you can design and make your dream guitar. I was lucky that everything fit together so easily, and best of all... it plays and sounds just like I hoped it would.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  20. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I have three home built guitars that I’ll play- a thinline Tele With a Bigsby home made body, bought in neck which is real nice and gets played more than my real a Tele; a scratch but Less Paul Jr that was my first build, and sees service as a open d slide instrument and finally a pine bodied Tele shaped guitar with P90s and a strat term.
    I guess I could go with the first Tele as my sole guitar except my current first love is my Gordon Smith GS1. But then that looks pretty home built anyway....
    Oh and I just bought wood for what will hopefully be a single pickup baritone with a Jazzmaster tremolo....

Kriticaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.