1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Parts Recommendations

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Special Tom, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I recently sold my electric guitars, 87 PRS, 83 LP, and 76 Strat due to economy. I am down to a Taylor 514CE. I decided (maybe not a great decision) to attempt to build a Telecaster based guitar from miscellaneous parts. So far I have a body without hardware, PUs or neck. According to the seller it was a Squier (still not sure about that). I want to use decent parts so I'll be shopping for everything. I was hoping to get some good advice on what works and what doesn't. The body has what appears to be routed for a single coil in neck position, and a humbucker in bridge. There are no string holes through the body. Is there a good bridge for this type set up--Kahler, Schaller, Gotoh, Fender etc anyone could recommend? Or will I need to drill string holes and all that goes along with that.

Thanks in advance

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

3. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Pictures would definitely help.

I use E-bay vendor Bezdez almost exclusively for my hardware purchases. Good quality stuff, great prices.

4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

what about a building a kit guitar?

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Top loaders for Tele's are available from most of the parts places and fleeBay.

Humbucker in the bridge?... Pictures please.

Like OpenG said bezdez on fleebay is a good seller a lot, and I mean a lot of us get parts from them.

I'll recommend my favorite pick up guy Kerry Learned Klea3031 on fleeBay. Handwound pickups at a great price. He use to sell them for 85 a set but recently went up in price but I think he is well worth it. Great customer service too. I've asked too many questions of him and have always gotten a good well thought out reply.

fleebay might be the way to go for the neck too just check what you might buy from say wartmoth against the stuff you see on fleeBay sometimes it can be the same roughly but a better deal.

6. Special Tom

That is the one I'm looking for--Have you seen any in brass/gold?

7. Special Tom

I did think about that--thanks

8. Special Tom

Not sure how to post directly to a post or how to post pictures--new to the forum.

9. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I recently retrofitted a humbucker in the bridge of a Squier Tele and modded a Greg Bennet_Samick from SSH to two humbuckers. Both sound pretty darn heavenly.
    I looked for a while for a top loader string through bridge at the time since I prefer toploaders but settled for thru body ones since I could not find one in any reasonable length of time. Bodies were already drilled.
    Since I am enjoying these so much, I'll continue looking for a toploader now...working on it.
    This one on ebay appears to be a 3 saddle toploading humbucker bridge 4 hole mount:flimbsy looking bridge though.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Stainless-Steel-Mini-Humbucker-Bridge-Plate-Fits-Fender-Tele-Telecaster-/331042069044
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything else. One could always drill one with the right technique and equipment. I'll have to try that someday..
    Let us know if you find something that works.
    oh pics are nasty since these were basically scrap guitars under $100 ea (the humbucker ones anyway):
    Squire with duncan designed humbucker in bridge as an experiment.
    [​IMG]
    The Samick with the cobbled up pickguard for now since I still have to figure out how to cut a pickguard:
    [​IMG]
    Traditional home built tele style just so the traditionalists don't whine too much "OMG not a humbucker in the bridge" LOL (one fender part, The strap).
    [​IMG]
    I love all three of them. No need to try anything else in the Tele department (yeah right lol).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  10. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

You have to post them somewhere else and then link to it:
    Photobucket.com works well for me.

11. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I've had good luck with Azguitarparts.com. Good prices and good customer service. I've also bought cheap hardware from Guitar Fetish, but their prices have gone up.

12. Drum Strummer

Drum Strummer TDPRI Member

I've had great luck with Darren Riley Guitars out of Raleigh, NC. Their website has practically everything from genuine Fender parts to Allparts parts. darrenriley.com

Their prices beat fleebay on genuine parts and they are very helpful on the phone. Ditto what CapnCrunch says on Guitarfetish.

Scott

13. Special Tom

Really nice work--but what do I know LOL
    Last night I went through my stash of old junk and found some pick-ups that I had used in my 76 strat (sold it) before I went to EMGs quite a while back. Here's the series neck PU is original, mid pU was an old (bought in late 70s, I think) Seymour Duncan single coil, and bridge is an early 70s bridge Humbucker from my first good guitar (SG). I'm thinking about putting the Humbucker in the rear.

14. Special Tom

Thanks for the info--I was able to find a Fender 3 hole replacement bridge for a single coil on ebay and might use that at least for mock up purposes.

15. zipseattle

zipseattle Tele-Meister

CEG Hardtails sells Mighty Mite necks, and can level and polish the frets for you if desired.

16. Special Tom

Thanks for the info. I have purchased a neck from Olivewood (I think that's right). Should be here next week. It is finished. I can do the fretwork and neck adjustments myself. I found the bridge I was looking for. I just bought some Kluson tuners from a guy on the forum- So all parts are on the way or I have received. Thanks to everyone who helped.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.