Parts List for Vibro Champ?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by brucerbc, Feb 20, 2019.

1. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

Kind of a Hail Mary post, but does anyone have a full parts list for a Vibro Champ? I'm aiming to make that my next build and considering sourcing the parts individually instead of as a kit. Any assistance appreciated.

If no parts list, does anyone have any recommended substitute parts for the Mojotone kit (like silver mica for ceramic caps)? Again, any help is appreciated.

2. kleydejong

kleydejong Tele-Holic

I built an EL84 driven Vibro Champ a little while back: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/an-adventure-into-ptp-el84-vibrochamp-build.714603/

If I were you I'd take a look at the schematic - http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/schem/champ_vibro_aa764_schem.gif. Open an excel spreadsheet and take a marker. Go through each step on the schematic and write down each component on the spreadsheet.

You get your BOM, but you also gain a better understanding of the circuit in preparation for the build.

You could also compare with Hoffman's BOM for a 5F2A Princeton here - http://el34world.com/schematics.htm#Hoffman_5F2A_Princeton. It won't have the tremolo, but it will have everything else you'd need.

JuneauMike, Junior Little and D'tar like this.
  3. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Great advice, right here.

Better still, if you are feeling ambitious, download DIYLC and reproduce the schematic yourself! Check it against the original, then check it again.

Also, I have enjoyed buying parts more than a kit. You are better off getting a half dozen resistors in the value you need because then you can measure the actual value and get more precise. They can vary quite a bit. Caps are pretty cheap, relatively speaking, so you can also get a few different types of cap in the value you need. Experiment with what you like. Do that enough times and you've got all the parts you need for another amp. Ha.

D'tar and Mr Ridesglide like this.
  5. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions. I've printed the Fender, Mojotone and Ceriatone layouts and am comparing those and the schematics to build my parts list.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.