Partition 2x12 Cab? Peavey 212 MC - Celestion G12k-85

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JesseS, Nov 22, 2018.

1. JesseS

JesseS TDPRI Member

Hellos!

I just scored a super clean Peavey 212 MC cabinet from the local Craigslist. It is an American-made vertical 2x12 with Celestion G12K-85 speakers made in 1987 in Ipswtch, England. The top speaker is angled upward, Marshall style. The back of the cab can be removed from behind just the top speaker for a sort of mixed open / closed back set-up. There is a solid board separating the two speakers inside. The cab is made of 1-inch plywood, probably pine, and covered in thick, rugged, textured black stuff, not tolex.

Here's the question: Why is the cab partitioned? Many 2x12 cabs are open inside. All 2x12 combos are open between the speakers, usually with a partially open back. Old Fender horizontal 2x12 cabs do run a center board to partition though... In this Peavey, there is a board between the upper and lower speaker, so removing the back panel only "opens" the back of the top speaker. When closed, the cab really doesn't give much air space to the drivers. It sounds tight and strong, quite good actually, serious quality from the Celestions, but I wonder whether sawing out that partition would open-up the sound for both drivers with the back panel installed. (Having the back panel off totally opens the top driver's space, leaving no protection for that speaker.) Has anyone experimented with a partition in a 2x12 cab versus not having the partition?

And should there be any baffling material inside the cab? How would that change the sound? Again, old Fender 2x12 cabs had fluffy stuff inside.

At the moment, I am just running the speaker output from my 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb to this Peavey cab. Holy sweet potatoes - it's incredible how big the amp can sound! What an impressive little monster. But honestly, some of the open, ringing tone is missing with the stuffiness of the closed Peavey cab. I assume some of that tighter sound is also due to the nature of these beast Celestions G12k-85 speakers. Maybe a roomier cab interior would be a good compromise? Please advise. Thanks!

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

There was a company in the 90s offered a convertable upright 2-12, options were closed closed open/closed and open/open. Lovely peice of kit forgot the brand.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Anyways it means you have options to suit the room you are performing in.
    One open really helps the drummer out, too.

4. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I used to own that cab. YES! Very tight sounding.

Too tight for my tastes. Weird low end as well. (mine also got stuck in a home flood.) And mine had Peavey speakers. I later put numerous other speakers into it. Still never like it.

Mesa Boogie has a similar looking cab. Maybe check if that is divided as well.

5. JesseS

JesseS TDPRI Member

Thanks folks! All good info. Still, I am most interested in leaving the back all closed, but possibly cutting out the horizontal board that partitions the two speakers. I assume the "tight" sound would open-up that way, and I would still have the security of the closed back. (I had been considering finding a 1x12 such as a Marshall 1912 to use with my PR, but those are soooo expensive, now made in MDF, and now use lower quality drivers... Sheesh. I was lucky to find this Peavey cheap!)

6. JesseS

JesseS TDPRI Member

Thanks GoldiLocks! The Mesa Cabs seems to have come both open internally and partitioned, judging from images online. That is at least encouraging, so I might not totally ruin the Peavey if I perform the surgery. Plus, I am now inspired to swap the grill cloth for something more like the Mesa look!

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I doubt removing the middle panel between the speakers and closing the back will change the sound much from closing the back with the divider in place.
    Opening that divider and leaving the back open would change the sound though.

You could also open the divider and make a back with a middle opening, so it's semi open.

8. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I took the middle panel out of a blackface 2X12 Bandmaster cab and did not like the result. It sounded less focused and articulate, even with JBL E-120s in it. Lost its cut.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting and makes sense.
    I wonder how much was the space not being divided and how much was the back becoming a passive radiator.
    Marshall cabs have a post from front to back in order to prevent the back from being a passive radiator, since the back of the speakers blowing at the cabs back will make it vibrate like a speaker cone or guitar top.
    That big vibrating panel will add a resonant low end and muddy up the sound.
    A smaller 1x12 back can't really vibrate enough to become a passive radiator.
    Likewise the Mesa Recto 2x12 is narrow so the back isn't wide enough to vibrate like a Fender 2x12.
    My Fender 2x12 is the most bassy sounding 2x12 I have, and IIRC the divider is in place.

I was also thinking the OP might look at some of the Dumble cab designs which have side ports.
    Then there are detuned cabs which are similar, but may have both front and side ports

jondanger likes this.
  10. mctofuburger

mctofuburger TDPRI Member

Did you ever try this? Interested because I just picked up one of these cabs.

11. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Actually I have one of these and couldn't get a decent sound from it until I took a jig saw and cut out that partition. Made a huge difference in the sound. Got a couple of Greenbacks in it now. With the partition in place the cab sounded muffled. Taking it out opened it up a bunch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.