1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Partially 67 Tele. To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telemach_1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

Sounds like what you are really in love with is the sound. Did you play it through your amp or his? Are you sure it's the guitar you're in love with and not the amp, the room, new strings, etc. It's hard for me to believe that you can't find a tele that sounds as good for a lot less money. It's a player, not a collector (unless you want to part out the neck, which you don't) so the age is irrelevant. Let your ears decide, not your heart.

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Ah yes, detachment, logic and common sense :cool:.............. WTF are they? :eek:

My 70/71 = Awesome feeling neck - slippery vintage frets (refret in prog [hey, its a player ! ]) but amazing resonance and tone off that back pup, which sold it to me. Sure, if I hammer my way through 2000 CVs I might find an equivalent tone/feel combination.

Mojo matters ........ but mojo ain't objective. ;)

3. Telemach_1

Telemach_1 Tele-Afflicted

Oooh, I'm aware about what you're saying. I took two of my best Teles to AB the Guitar. All guitars had fresh strings of the same brand and I even restrung the sellers tele with the same strings to make them all the same as for this aspect. I never use an amp to test a guitar. 98% of the time I play them acoustically unplugged. Just the wood and strings. In the end it definitely passed all tests bravely. Thought it sounded woodier and w. more twang. It felt easier on the shoulder and faster on the neck.
    It didn't have that much of bass response as my Teles but was round and balanced though. Even playing it over his crappy no name amp it sounded great, maybe better than my Teles. That means quite a lot since I already have nice planks loaded w. good PUs.

Sure will do. I've already great looking Teles, so this one isn't gonna impress me too much w. its' CBS logo etc. But heck this bastard sounds like the real thing.

4. Telemach_1

This seller is gonna visit me today. I'm curious how this one compares to the other one. The ferrules don't look flush on this one. The prize? Well here you have it.

5. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

In 1968, the ferrules were not flush.

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it's worth it to you just as a player, then go for it.
    I think it's too much money for all the issues it has, but if it really speaks to you......

7. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

That link is to a €6.5k 68 guitar - thats a lot of wonga for a 68 - 3.5k will get you a 69 in London.

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

25 years ago , I looked at a couple of old Fenders at a guys house. He is now one of the biggest guitar dealers in the country.

He had a 63 strat , about the earliest you can find originally in this country. Even the 3 way switch was in there and it was completely original , only the recent excellent refret wasnt as when it left the factory......drooled over it for a bit , but it was way out of my price range.

The other one was a Tele just like the one linked to here , a 68. Very nice tele , and I almost bought it , it would have been hard to explain it to my then gf , now wife , but it could have been done.

I ended up with a Les Paul , didnt even have it a year.I kept thinking about that tele , and that I should have bought it........

Didnt help that one of our well-known guitarists over here started using one I could swear was that exact guitar( This guy even have his name on one of the t-rex pedals , also built here ).

Ive seen him use it several times , and its also on an album cover.
    Met the seller , and asked him, sure it was that guitar.

Im not that much into vintage this and that , and I really believe you could gain more money by investing them elsewhere , but MAN I would love to own that tele now !!

9. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

The routings could have made it lighter, which may not be a good thing. But the capped neck is neat, but maple capped can sound good, or not so good, depending. Overall, it does look good.

10. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Reading this I wonder if anyone is willing to setup a buying service for instruments purchased here to be shipped over seas.. perhaps shipping gifts.

11. Telemach_1

You need to know people well and make sure they have enough expertise and almost the same ears to trust them. Buying guitars is almost as personal as finding a new girl. I have done excellent experience w. buddies from other forums (autom. forums). We used to send us parts back and forth, but that's an other thing.

12. Telemach_1

The routings don't seem to matter any bad. There is twang as twang can be and enough sustain all over. Excellent vibrancy too. Off course I can't tell if it was even better before the routings have been done. You'll never know, but the tone at its' current status is overwhelming.

13. Telemach_1

All right, I finally have her laying on my bed. I had convinced the guy,to hold it back for a me as a local player rather than toss it out of town. Raising funds and loosing $$ because of bonanza sales was a tough experience. As I previously mentioned the PU and some of the hard ware is not matching. The body has been abused by some pot head a long time ago but the ugly routings beneith the pick guard didn't harm the Tele's sound and sustain (forgot to take pics of that)
    I spent the last 2 days by tweaking the intonation, action, installing Jason Lollar 52 PU and playing my fingers to def. I literally can't put it down.
    This plank has full metal bunker breaking Tele tone,...straight w/o any flabbyness in the lower 2 strings. So far, probably my best sounding Telecaster. I haven't taken her out yet, but there's this gig I have on Tuesday. I'm curious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Telemach_1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  15. kharrison

kharrison TDPRI Member

Are you sure the routes under the pickguard is not a "smuggler" route. This was Fender's first attempt at weight relief and they are rare. Show some pics of the route and we can tell.

16. Telemach_1

I'm sure it's not Fender made. You will be disgusted to see them once I post them. I have some camera problems a this time but will post pics soon.

17. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister

Mojo wins every time!

Good for you, I believe in cry once.

My first band the drummer was a well known Nashville/LA studio musicians son. Dad showed up with totally original no-caster and a tweed bassman amp, left it at my house for about three years.:D

18. G Man

G Man Tele-Meister

Awesome Tele Telemach_1! No matter what may be under the guard, sweeeet!

I'm green with envy!

Looks like a keeper!

G Man

19. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

cool looks nice in the pics,

20. Telemach_1

Yeah, thanx man. Definitely is a player's guitar. Soundwise it's on the very twangy side with a little lack of warmth from the low strings. But that's what I remember how teles sounded like when I was in my younger days and that's what I was always looking for ever since.
    With the Alnico 2 Jason Lollar 52 PU it sounds as bell like as can be. I have a few other PU to experiment with within the next future. I'm curious what PU I'm going to stick w. this 67.
    Tonight I'm going to take her out to the jam I'm hosting. I'll let you know how it worked out in combat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.