Partcaster Necks

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fatcat, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Dunno if they are made in the same place, but everything i have bought from Hosco, be it tools or parts, has been excellent.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. gizzard

gizzard TDPRI Member

Musikraft and send it to Mjt for the finish if your not doing it yourself. I just did the mjt full kit with a musikraft neck and it’s the best neck I’ve got fender us included. You also get all the option from stainless frets to wood choices.

El Tele Lobo and Misty Mountain like this.
  3. nsmith01tx

nsmith01tx Tele-Meister

Yep, change the nut & you're ready to go.

wmsimpson likes this.
  4. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Assuming you don't use/need side dots when playing, then sure.

5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1. I would like to add that getting the right neck doesn’t necessarily mean getting the most expensive one. But one thing is for sure: it’s all about the neck. As far GFS is concerned, I’ve read several posts about their necks. Most of the complaints seem to have to do with fit and finish. Not good problems to have when you’re building a guitar

6. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Musikraft Blackguard necks get my vote...

7. double_a

double_a TDPRI Member

I always go back to Warmoth. I have tried many different ones. Warmoth is the most expensive but the best in quality by a mile.

RedHills and danpan like this.
  8. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

For the necks I've bought, Warmoth was cheaper than Musikraft.

9. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

Another vote for Best Guitar Parts.

They're up in the same area as Warmoth, et al. Excellent service, decent turnaround, some interesting options, and great pricing.

The roasted maple neck I put on my Thinline parts build is the most comfortable electric guitar neck I've ever owned.

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I and a fellow builder have been using Mighty Mite Telecaster necks since the late 70s early 80s. They are licensed by Fender, are great C shape, 21 frets. MM 2905C-M (maple fingerboard) and MM 2904C- R ( Rosewood fingerboard). Cost $134.00, significantly cheaper than Warmoth, perfect fit in correct neck pocket and 10mm tuner holes . Also available in 22 frets and a range of other neck shapes. NEVER had a problem with their fit, you may want to get a bone nut.
    I/we have used countless MM necks and not a single problem.

danpan likes this.
  11. Humble1

Humble1 TDPRI Member

Allparts TRO fat, damm near an inch at the headstock. I have 6 axes with them. Love em,HOWEVER ,forget about 9’s or 10’s. Every single one practically has the truss rod disengaged,(barely snugged). Truss rod can not capture these fatties. The only way I get a tad of relief is with 11’s. I SUPPOSE 12’s or 13’s would be better. My fingers won’t let me. There are some great posts here on how to create some ghost relief in these necks.
    The feel is amazing and I cannot play anything else , But BEWARE OF CREATING RELIEF .

12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm about to try a tmo fat on a new partscaster tele. I have also just got a few sets of 11's for another tele with super jumbo frets I put together because i'm pulling it out of tune slightly when fretting up near the nut. I hadn't even considered the relief. truss rod factor on the fat necks. I think i'll be fine upping to 11's because I play fast lead/ bend on my acoustic with 12's fitted. Have you experienced any fretting out or dead spots when heavy bending up around the 14th fret on the fat necks?

13. danpan

danpan Tele-Meister

I have had excellent results with Warmoth!!

14. Humble1

Humble1 TDPRI Member

You should be fine. I tried everything to try and create some relief. I even took a neck off and supported it at both ends with weights in the middle and heated it. It’s just a fat/thick piece of wood. I watched a video , ( Stew MAC).
    They remove fingerboard, remove truss rod and put in a 2 way truss rod to capture this hunk of wood. It worked. It probably cost more than the neck,lol. 11’s create enough tension. You will be fine . Nothing like this fatty!!

El Tele Lobo and Chunkocaster like this.
  15. danpan

danpan Tele-Meister

I used one(Strat style) on a Strat build and found it to be a really great neck. If I remember correctly though, I ordered it off Amazon and the seller did not specify the nut width. It has a 1 5/8 nut which is just too narrow for me. I have since replaced it with a 1 11/16 Warmoth. Like I said though, It's a really well made neck and proved to be quite stable.

16. Jason Hutchinson

Jason Hutchinson TDPRI Member

Even the stock photo in GFS shows that their necks are junk. This one already has significant chipout on the 8th fret. If you look through the photos of their other necks, they all seem to have blemishes of some kind. This is actually one of their better looking necks believe it or not.

If you're going to go 3rd party for a neck, make sure it is at least a Fender licensed neck. They have to meet certain guidelines from Fender to be licensed. There are tons of companies that produce these. You will pay more than GFS, but are much less likely to get burned. Also, I would strongly recommend that you purchase one with a nut already installed. The good thing about actual Fender necks is that the nut is usually pre-slotted, and is ready to go as opposed to a 3rd party neck. Yeah, they are more expensive, but it also saves you the hassle of having to slot them yourself. A set of nut slotting files are not cheap, and if you only plan on building a couple of guitars, is probably not worth buying.

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Good eye

18. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Where did you hear that....?? Assuming you mean metrics... To be "licensed" you have to be party to the agreements Fender, to their regret. entered into with neck suppliers back before the internet made it apparent that the proliferation of necks, etc would eat significantly into their bottom line.

However, it's a widely propagated mistake that to be Licensed the neck maker has to agree to meet certain quality standards... but it's just not so...

r

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  19. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Allparts here, very happy with! Smooth, incredible neck.

Attached Files:

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Allparts necks also look accurate if you are wanting the ballpark vintage look.
    I wasted money on 3 necks before using Allparts and being satisfied. A WD neck that was too thick in the heel, a mim used neck that had dead spots and a thick poly finish and a made in china "nitro" orange neck that was complete garbage.
    After buying several allparts necks since then I have been happy with every one of them. It's much like ordering shirts online, once you get a good fit stick to the same supplier imo.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.