1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Parsons/Green...pain in the neck

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by quackattack, Mar 8, 2004.

1. quackattack

quackattack TDPRI Member

I just bought a '97 pre-Nashville P/G tele. It is much heavier than I expected. It must weigh as much as an M1 Abrams tank.

Consequently I get pain in my neck and shoulder [strap-side]. I bought a "slider" guitar strap, which fits over both shoulders and feels better. Unfortunately it slips when engaging the bender....any ideas on how to ease the pain...short of getting a new guitar?

2. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

Get a wider strap, that usually helps. I've got a strap that is about 3.5 to 4 inches wide and it makes quit a difference.

3. Buzz Autry

Buzz Autry TDPRI Member

Try a wide suede strap, I used to have a bit of pain when I first got my P/G Bender. I got used to it. Just have to practice standing up.

4. quackattack

quackattack TDPRI Member

The straps at stringbender look wide and nicely padded

These look bizarre, but interesting
    http://www.idare2.com/

5. quackattack

quackattack TDPRI Member

o.k.....my tele weighs 11.5 lbs.....I've got a weird idea:

I've not had the p/g b bender plate off my guitar yet, but ......would it be possible to knock significant weight off the guitar by routing the b bender channel deeper [not wide or longer]....so with the bender plate on it would look stock.

Ideally, i'd like to get it into the 9 lb range.

6. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

I dont think so...the bender is mounted on the backplate...and if you recessed the backplate into the body it would reek havoc with clearences for the string pull hub, strap lever, etc...and youre not going to get 2 pounds of wood out of there by doing that...

The wider strap suggested by others is a good idea..you might also try adjusting the length of the strap...the balance of the guitar can make a difference on how it hangs and consequently how it feels...note most bender players wear the guitar "mid" height...

After a while it wont seem so heavy...yeah it weighs a ton next to a 6.5 pound ash bodied 52 RI...but after a while, youll adjust and it wont be so bad...you can play it seated...I practice that way alot...altho I need to stand to practice the bender motion..its different standing than seated. If you are giging with the thing you might consider just using it on the tunes that need a bender...and use a lighter guitar for the other stuff...

Ive done some 4 hour gigs with my AM Std Bbender...yeah, it felt good to take it off at the end of the job...but it was certainly tolerable...

7. rod

rod TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I think that Don misunderstood what you were considering but ........I don't think that routing a deeper channel will reduce the weight by 2 + pounds. That is a major weight loss.

If you do try to deepen the channel I would suggest using a Forstner bit with a drill press. Much easier to control than a router without a template. That's how I do my bender and control cavities.

8. quackattack

quackattack TDPRI Member

What is the actual weight of the P/G bender unit assembly versus that of the P/W components?

I know I'm coming off like a "woos", but I've been a steel player [which is essentially a desk job] for the last 25 years.

My neck muscles have atrophied.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.