Parrots As Pets?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zimbo, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Haa, yup. That reminds me. We learned about birds by starting out with a cockatiel. When we got the cockatoo, the much quicker cockatiel would be buzz by the cockatoo on her play gym, teasing the heck out of a huge bird that would kill it if it had the chance. The cockatoo in response could talk very well and tease the cockatiel with disciplinary phases that we would use on both of them. Really entertaining.

El Tele Lobo and wrvond like this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Very good point. During my divorce, the most difficulty by far were our "children" ... our two birds. I still tear up thinking about it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I broke up amicably with an ex after 12 years together, and she had bought a lovebird, which is I think the smallest of the real parrots.
    She didn’t want the little green bird called Bancha any more, and I was moving to a house with a cat. Bancha actually scared the cat and lived with me for the rest of her expected 15 years. It was hard to give her enough attention though,and I’d brought this up with my former GF when she was deciding to buy a long lived pet.

wrvond and Obsessed like this.
  4. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

The lifelong commitment thing can be difficult. I had a friend who had an African Grey. He died and the bird had problems. Pulled all its feathers out etc. Finally someone showed up that the bird seemed to really like.
    The bird cage perch etc all went home with him!

BTW once the bird is "part of the family" you can usually curtain a portion of the cage for dark and quiet time and the bird will use it as desired. Same with an out of cage perch.

wrvond likes this.
  5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

My personal thought, is that keeping healthy birds that can fly as pets is about as cruel as it gets. I can't imagine keeping a creature that can fly grounded and never allowed to fly and soar.

6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Wow, beautiful bird.
    No way, could not deal with it!

7. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I had an African Grey that was raised by and lived with an elderly woman for about 15 years. She lived alone but had a son that visited on occasion. The bird hated men, some more than others, he would go berzerk when one friend of mine would come over. He warmed up fast to a woman friend of mine but after three years of trying to build trust and bond with him he was still standoffish with me most of the time. I ran an ad a few people came by and then this one woman came over and they made an immediate connection. He was like a different bird than I had seen with her. She took him home. If you want to have a bird I highly recommend raising from a baby when you are young enough to have a lifetime together or just let birds live in their natural environment.

telemnemonics, wrvond and 8barlouie like this.
  8. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Literally all you need to know in this thread. :lol:

9. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

I have several parrots; I met my wife by chance through them as she had a conure as well.

The real problem with parrots as pets, is people.

You are making a commitment when you choose to have a companion parrot in your life.

Makes me quite sad as most of these posts have used the word "had"...

As far as behavioral issues, that again, is on the owner as they are, in fact, like four year old children forever, and whatever you choose to teach them is way they will be... With patience, all negative behavior such as biting, plucking, lunging, etc can all be retrained with a little love for the animal.

10. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

IMG_0034.JPG

11. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In an earlier portion of her life, my wife had a rescued bird that cussed like that. It was obviously from an abusive household because it would yell in both male and female voices for specific kids names to shut the **** up, get the bleep to bleeping bed, and other not so nice parental things.

12. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I posted several months ago about my wife wanting to get birds again. She got two baby conures, and is spending time with them, keeping them occupied, and well fed and handled daily, and they're pretty cool. I'm not really a bird person, but I can see how people get enamored of them.
    My wife must've joined a regional Facebook bird group because she came upon a couple more conures that needed rescued after the elderly woman owner had to move to an assisted living facility. She wanted them and I agreed (softer head than heart here), and now there's 4 in the house. They're kept in the pairings she got them in. The rescues' behavior is nowhere near as nice, but my wife is working with them and making slow progress. One in particular is a squawker. I'm not fond of that but it hasn't led to any problems yet. It helps that my office is at the other end of the house from the birds.

I guess my point is that behavior is trainable, but it's a lot of work... A lot.

8barlouie likes this.
  13. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I preffer owl, because if i had parrot, i would taught her speaking dirty words lol

14. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Parrots are a life style pet. They can be a lot of fun but you really cant leave them alone. They are very social animals .... very smart and very demanding and a lot of work.
    Abandoning a parrot is the cruelest thing you can do .... THEY BOND WITH YOU.
    They are noisy, and can be very possessive and they do understand what they say ... espically the Congo Grey's .... they can even form sentences from their vocabulary ... if you own one you know. I got sick and had to give up my animals because I couldn't take care of them. I fell sad and guilty about that.
    Unless you want to spend the rest of your life as nursemaid and shrink to a bird don't get one. They will take over your life,

El Tele Lobo and Pontiaddict like this.
  15. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We had a large parrot sanctuary here until a few years ago. So many birds that had outlived their owners, or at least outlived their owner's ability to care for them. Ironically (and sadly), the sanctuary's owner passed away, and she had not made adequate arrangements to deal with the birds, so shelters all over the area had to step up and try to place them. The whole thing depressed me.

16. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

A friend of mine had a neighbor that raised cockatiels. He built a big shed for then with a closed off side that he could heat. There were a few holes so they could go in and out as they pleased. It surprised me to see them out in the snow just as happy as they could be

17. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I've known several people who had them and enjoyed them, including my Mother who had the meanest one animal I've ever seen.

She could walk over to shrug her shoulder and it would fly over and land on it.

If anyone else even came close it would try to kill them.

If you saw what its jaws could do to a Brazil nut, you learned to give it a WIDE berth!

It died one night and was found at the bottom of its perch.

Maybe it was natural causes, maybe it was just too mean to live.

18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love birds and really wanted to get a parrot, but I did my research and what turned me off the idea was, "do you like screaming?". no, I don't. noisy is not good for me.

what I would really like to have is a pet crow. I love corvids. but it is illegal to keep a crow as a pet. but the other thing is that I have been watching crows for years and I know they are extremely social critters. they always live in families of 5 or 7 or more and it would be cruel to deprive a crow of a crow family.

how in the world do crows tell one from another?

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

But really, really beautiful! Very nice pet, sir!

20. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

The guy across the street from my parents had a pet crow that lived outside in the tree. It talked he hand fed it and it liked to "play". It would follow him around the yard like a dog. Very strange.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.