Parrots As Pets?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zimbo, Jan 24, 2020.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I was in the grocery store and I saw a guy in front of me with a small green parrot on his shoulder. Didn't say anything since he was trying to act cool but I have questions. How can you take a parrot out on your shoulder and not have it fly away or jump off? And what about pooping etc on your shoulder? And what about 20 deg outside? Is that ok for a parrot? I looked into getting a parrot for a pet but it looks like they like to bite so no way.

modavis99 and nojazzhere like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Best way to prevent them flying off is to nail them to their perch.....or, well, make sure they're dead....

3. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

They clip their wings, they can't fly far.
    They also get very attached to their owners, and some live to be 50 or 60 years old, parrots are not for everyone as they are a lifetime pet.

I had a roommate that had one, Amazon Orange or something like that, damn smart bird and they don't poop on you if they like you.

4. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wings are likely clipped so the parrot couldn't get far if it tried to take off.
    The poop issue is enough for me not to carry one around on my shoulder.

I had a parrot for about ten years - I highly do not recommend it.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some parrots are tropical but some live in below freezing winter temps.
    The chances your pet will run away or bite you are about the same as the chances your ten year old child will run away or bite you.

The problem with parrots is some people pay their $250-$2500 and stick them in a cage too small for flying then leave them there year after year.
    Do that to a human and they will likely bite you and run away.

Fretting out and nojazzhere like this.
  6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a parrot for a while. You clip the primary flight feathers if you don’t want them flighted. Yes, they do bite, but you get a sense of reading their body language so you know what is about to happen. The real issue with parrots is the noise. Just imagine Yoko Ono screaming through a JTM45 on 11.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I like those yt clips where they've taught the bird to cuss like a sailor

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

We had an Umbrella cockatoo for a very long time (in my past life). Very amazing intellectually. Basically needs to be treated and loved like a 4-5 year old child in almost every respect. The larger ones can live as long as a human, so should be avoided as a "pet" unless you are making a lifelong commitment IMHO.

Fretting out, moosie, Switchy and 2 others like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had friends with a Parrot. Be aware it's a long term commitment. They can live a long long time. They are wonderful, but very sensitive also, I've heard of them dying from being separated from their owners.

Fretting out, Dan German and Obsessed like this.
  10. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Inherited one, lived for another 10 years. Depressing and inhumane to keep a bird in a cage, regardless of how much interaction. And the NOISE? Gadzooks.

11. wrvond

wrvond TDPRI Member

I had a parrot that used to love to go for rides in the car. He would also get in the back of the house and call the dog. When the dog showed up the parrot would just laugh and laugh. He was a blue front Amazon. Very gentle bird. He'd sit on your shoulder quite contentedly. In fact, if you made any sudden moves he'd fall off because he was just sitting there, not holding on. I never clipped his wings, and few owners clip the wings of the larger birds. Macaws are probably the loudest birds you'll ever come across and also the most beautiful.
    The guy you saw probably had a monk parrot going by your description. Parrots are similar to dogs in that the only ones that bite are the ones that have been taught that it's ok. However, Conures do have a bit of a mean streak.
    If you own any kind of bird, best to get rid of all teflon coated cookware. If you scorch teflon it releases a gas that is instantly fatal to birds.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

What is it like having a parrot for a pet? Like having a demanding 2 year old with a built-in megaphone and chainsaw. I agree with @davo8411 , you don't want one as a pet.

We've had this fellow for 20 years and, yes, he's nipped us a few times but nothing serious. We used to take him out using a harness but he came to associate the harness with going to the vet and fought us trying to get it on him. He now goes in a crate which is easier to get him into. We don't take him out in cold weather. We don't allow him on our shoulder because that's why pirates wear eyepatches. He can be entertaining at times but he's a lot of work and aggravation at times too, a lot more than a dog or cat.

abe.jpg

13. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Unless you have deep pockets leave the larger varieties to zoos. I have a good friend that's had one for decades and it will likely outlive him. He taught it all of those "choice" teenage phrases so now it's a real character.

He's spending a fortune on his house critters every month. I threatened to dump off a pet pig or something and he nearly had a coronary.

Sugar gliders, exotic chickens, Little cages, and tanks. Dr Doolittle:lol::lol::lol:

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Our vet told us a story about a parrot owner in our neighborhood who liked to take the bird outside on sunny Sunday mornings while he read the Sunday paper on the patio. The bird enjoyed wandering around and it all seemed like good fun.

Then a hawk pounced on the pet. Owner and pet managed to separate them and drive off the hawk, but a near thing.

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I had a fraternity brother who had a big red Macaw. Gorgeous bird that was a PITA. He had to custom built a big section of his room into a cage for the bird. It made a big big mess that he was constantly having to clean up. Smelly.

This guy was a heck of a character, he looked like a pirate to begin with, and then he'd walk around with the parrot on his shoulder.

It liked him, but it would nip at lots of other people to the point you wouldn't want to get too close.

His talked, and it had a foul mouth.

I would say no for sure unless you know you're that kind of person. If you are you probably don't need to ask!

16. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Hey ladies last I heard...he's single.

6FDE40D4-E0AA-44E8-B989-4B24EF3D6F5E.jpeg

CV Jee Beez and nojazzhere like this.
  17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ours would call our papillon in my wife’s voice. “Mozart! Mozart! Come here, Mozart! The poor little guy would come running around the corner only to find the parrot standing there alone, then the bird would yell, “eff off!” and laugh hysterically. This would go on for hours until he finally tired of it. He was so convincing, even I would be fooled.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My inlaws had a conure that we brought to our house when they went on vacation. Versus dogs, the mess is different, but no worse. The bird stayed in the cage while we were out but was free to fly around our bedroom when we were home. The conure and our bichon became best friends. The conure would fly onto our bed when the dog was there and do his head bobbing thing and squawk at the dog. The dog would drop down to the birds level and play swat at him. If he got close the conure would fly back to his cage with the dog jumping off the bed running after him. Then the same thing would start on the floor. Birds are amazingly intelligent. At least conures can form enduring interspecies friendships. We shouldn't be surprised at that. They bond well with humans. We've had two dogs in the house for a while so I don't see adding a bird making much sense. Still, we never minded when the conure came for a visit and our bichon got excited as soon as he saw the cage.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The larger ones are very smart and can be easily potty trained. I built a large platform jungle gym with easily replaceable ground base cover outside of her cage with a ladder to it. She would always go up the ladder to poop. And yes, they can get loud, but that is also just like a 4-year old child yelling for attention. They can be spoiled and/or disciplined just like a child.

She sat on my shoulder while driving, but if we came alongside a yellow school bus, she would quickly duck, yell and shudder. Never understood why, but it was interesting to watch.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always stop by the parrots in Petco when buying supplies for my wife’s chinchilla.
    I see how lonely they are and suspect that they have at least some idea of their uncertain futures.
    It seems funny how people apply a personality to a breed without really taking into account that parenting is a huge part of a child’s personality.
    We do buy animals as baby's or young children so they need basic parenting, and not just being taught pooping habits.

Petco mercifully takes pets back and we often see a cage up front with critters incarcerated for a bargain price, because the owners saw buying a pet litter me buying a couch.
    Neglect is a form of abuse and results in a bad pet!

True one shouldn’t buy a parrot if not prepared to care for it long term but really one shouldn’t buy a guinea pig either if care seems like a chore.
    Sort of like if you ask the gas mileage of a Rolls you can’t afford one.

Our chinchilla got a bedroom to herself with things to do but still gets lonely.
    I really have trouble with pets put in cages but realize it’s normal and acceptable.
    Dogs and cats are ideal because they are at least able to run around the home and seek contact any time you’re in the house.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.