Parody - Engineering vs Marketing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TwangyWhammy, Feb 9, 2018.

1. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

I do product development (R&D) for a living. I am grateful for the privilege and joy to be able to work in this field... but just like in any other industry, is is not exempt from both external and internal challenges.

Paradoxically, a good friend (in the marketing/management camp) showed us this video clip - just for laughs, in an effort to "lighten-up" some of the tension between our engineering and marketing concerns.

We all had a good laugh, but sadly even as I chuckled - I was very aware that this video-parody is a little bit 'too real' for some - those who have been inadvertently driven to nervous breakdowns and debilitating burnouts in the workplace.

Humour can be a double-edged sword. It can fuel the fires of resentment - OR - it can bring a deeper level of understanding so that our areas of work can become a better place. In sharing this, I'm hoping for the latter...

uriah1, String Tree, LocoTex and 6 others like this.
  2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’v been to that meeting more than once. It happens more often if upper management is involved.

Joe Sailor, JayFreddy and nojazzhere like this.
  3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Many a truth is said in jest. I’m ripping off someone there, but not sure who to credit.

Joe Sailor likes this.
  4. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

I've been to quite a few of those. Scratch that. Too many of those. (Not all, but a LOT.)

Meetings where you wonder if the other participants even exist in the same universe you do, or if they're just smoking way too much of certain mind-altering substances.

Meetings where being a "team player" means "shut up, nod and smile, kiss upper management rear, and just drink the $&@?ing kool-aid"

The vid was funny but at the same time almost a documentary-type film.

To the OP: this post may open the floodgates of tragicomedy a la Dilbert.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Are you sure that's not an actual training film?....you know...designed to expand "out of the box" developmental thinking? I find it opened my horizons to wanting to blow up red balloons. In fact, 99 red balloons. Maybe write a song about 99 red balloons. Perhaps get a hot German chick to sing about 99 red balloons. With a lick like, "dump de dump, da da dump.....dump de dump, da da dump!" Think I'm on to something?....anyone?

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have lived every spot at that table as a product design engineer for a corporation and as a consultant. It hurt so much to watch, I stopped it at times 2:20. I think I have been suffering shell shock for 22 years since I walked away from that table. I'll be having nightmares tonight for sure.

Tele1966, Tonetele and TwangyWhammy like this.
  7. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

That would be hilarious if it was a joke.

8. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Also, to be pedantic, I think that was more satire than parody. I could be wrong and often am.

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I almost stopped at 2:07, my heart rate and anxiety increasing. But, I forced myself to watch the rest. I've endured the madness close to 30 years now. While this satire is picking on the non-engineers in the room, there are times when everyone is qualified, experienced, humble and willing to "work" as a team to achieve amazing things. "Work" is code for agreeable, considerate, and respectful of others' value.

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I couldn't watch it all. I come from a family of REAL engineers, my cousin re-built the Panama Canal and others have made significant worldwide contributions.
    If a man/woman says they say they are an engineer I ask "Yeah, What university? What projects?"
    Seriously, our family name has bridges and streets named after us. My point. I HATE BS artist marketers and people who are not HIGHLY qualified, University degree MINIMUM, who claim they are Engineers. Don't pretend to be what you are not.
    Granted, many are good at their jobs, but BS artists don't get people back to Earth like Apollo 13 scientists did- using Maths.
    Some people should NOT pretend they are what they think they are!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

tarheelbob and bparnell57 like this.
  11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

12. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We watch this series of videos at our team meetings from time to time.
    We have 8 process engineers that cover our repair shop. These videos bring some much needed laughs

bparnell57 likes this.
  13. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

I'm an IT guy. That seemed pretty normal to me. :)

Obsessed likes this.
  14. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

To be fair, the same can be done in reverse "Customers like red shoes. Let's please design a red shoe"

"Red dyes are inefficient and boots are more reliable... We made a green boot."

Joe Sailor likes this.
  15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I made the mistake of watching this with one eye and watching the news with the other...

My mind is blown...

Obsessed likes this.
  16. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

If everyone is laughing, that's a good sign - of good team health in your company. Glad to hear.

But take heed if some in the room can only but manage to stare at the floor...

- -

The effects of this kind of trauma are very real, as attested already by some here who've had to stop the video midway - to recompose themselves in order to be able to continue watching.

17. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

In my experience, the video is a rendition of a pretty normal TV production meeting. I am absolutely serious. The comedy sketch illustrates to me the need for some people in meetings to grossly overstate/justify their own importance, which in turn results in bizarre proclamations and discussions.

This exact poster hung in the room where I spent many wasted hours of meeting time. To this day I don't know if the owner of the TV production business ever looked at or read the poster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

OK, for fun, I'm going to pick on IT.

So we have two locations, an office and a factory environment.
    Factory has much slower bandwidth for design software.
    So the designers stay in the office.
    Factory needs their support on the floor though.
    Managers want designers to relocate.
    We explain why that will slow productivity down, and they ask for proof.
    IT gets tasked to measure.
    IT says there's no problem with bandwidth in the factory.
    Engineering asks for proof.
    Data exchanges, benchmarks are conducted.
    Engineering data says bad, IT data says good.
    We trace it to wireless access in the Factory.
    IT says don't use the wireless in the factory.
    We reveal that's all that is available on the floor.
    IT disputes.
    I walk down, count the hardline LAN drops, and the computers on the floor.
    No lines left, so my computer has to run on the wireless.
    IT says there are only 4 users online, and 12 lines.
    I point out, all 12 of those lines are taken by assigned seats, and folks are away from the stations, and they are not "available", but unused at some points during the day.

So the mystery is partially solved, with the obvious fix to share or hot-bunk stations, and add more lines to the floor, and eliminate wireless usage. Of course, it takes weeks if not months to play all of this out, while management pulls its hair out, and concludes we are all hopeless dumbasses :)

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

In 2003, the Ministry of Education of BC tried to make PE 11 a mandatory course for all graduating students in the province. A lot of time and planning went into course design, scheduling issues and so on. At one point, though, one of the larger school districts pointed out that they simply didn't have the gym space, change-room space, and lockers to accommodate another full grade of PE students. That school district asked the Ministry to consider major renovations to their Senior Secondary schools.
    The Ministry cancelled mandatory PE 11 and returned to making it optional.

NashvilleDeluxe likes this.
  20. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

I hear you, I've gone through that too, and I know it's a complete pain. Apparently "nothing has changed" - but system performance is all of a sudden abysmal.

I'm not that kind of IT - I'm software development - more along the lines of being asked to build a system with 7 perpendicular red lines, 3 of them green and three of them invisible. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.