parlour guitars !

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by mally, Jan 1, 2020.

1. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Recently bought a Brunswick BP 50 EM and love it but me being err ME I keep thinking about upgrading it to (I have no idea what ) are we all the same ? its perfect but I wanna change it whats your experience with Parlour Guitars ?? Please !

Greggorios likes this.
  2. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Here
    20200101_204550.jpg

3. mally

mally Tele-Holic

4. mally

mally Tele-Holic

20200101_205419.jpg

24 track likes this.
  5. mally

mally Tele-Holic

OMG ! Tried to show the action (which is nice ) but Ft Up

24 track likes this.
  6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

They vary hugely. Most modern parlours are very sweet and not terribly loud so people wonder why folks played them in the past.

But some of the old ones were louder than most modern dreadnoughts. I have a 1927 koa Martin O-28 and a 1930 Gibson L-O. They are really loud. My Gibson is as loud fingerpicked as my 1950 J-45 and has lots of bass.

Edit: sorry if pic is sideways. It’s a screw up from using the site via my phone.

1A19B785-418C-4F7C-9676-7225CCDBE434.jpeg

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a Larrivee P03 and an Alvarez and a newer Yamaha. They are great for sitting and thinking and writing. They're great for fingerstyle but they can do anything. I find them to be very comfortable and very pretty sounding. Unlike a dread you hear every string at the same volume (hence the fingerstyle sound being so nice and balanced). Great noodling guitars. The Larrivee has a K&K Pure Mini installed. The Alvarez has a big ugly Preamp box in the upper bout. The Yamaha has a Fishman style system that hides....there is a hidden volume and tone top inside the sound hole. I like to play them acoustically but the electronics make writing and recording very easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DADGAD, 24 track, howardlo and 2 others like this.
  8. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

How come when I search using Brunswick BP 50 EM all I get is bowling pin setters and blood pressure sites?

Modernelove and 24 track like this.
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My experience with parlor guitars as far as ownership goes is limited to a Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy...
    05-25-2017 - My Gretsch Jim Dandy G9500 - 1.jpg

...and a Wechter NV-5413E parlor for Nashville-tuned/high strung guitar...
    02-03-2016 - Wechter Nashville 2.jpg

The Gretsch Jim Dandy is an inexpensive but fun little guitar that looks a lot like my Dad's 1961 Stella by Harmony H929, the first guitar I ever plunked around on before taking up the guitar in earnest a few years later. This is the reason I bought the Jim Dandy. Well, I bought it when I was in the market for a beach/campfire/back deck guitar, but its similarities to the guitar of my childhood is what clinched the deal.

As for the Wechter, that one brings up an application of parlors not yet addressed in this thread: they make great guitars for Nashville-tuned/high strung playing.* As @studio1087 (John) already pointed out, parlors are typically great for fingerstyle playing, which is a great technique to employ with high strung guitars. And the smaller body often has a top that is thinner, which works well for high strung playing, since the string tension is so much less. Depending on the parlor, the nut might need some work (or replacement) because of the thin gauge of the strings.

My Wechter Nashville parlor was designed for this application: small body (a little less than 13.5" across the lower bout), thinner top, wider at the nut, and with a nut cut specifically for the thinner gauged strings in a Nashville-tuned set. It has a 25.5" scale length.

In case you're unfamiliar with Wechter guitars, Abraham Wechter was a designer for Gibson and a luthier to the stars (e.g., John McLaughlin, John Denver, Al DiMeola). After leaving Gibson, he had his custom shop in Michigan, then moved his shop to Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and from 2008-13 he had an arrangement with Sweetwater to sell his mass produced guitars. After discontinuing his manufactured guitars, he moved to China and is again making custom guitars by hand.

In the summer of 2012, Sweetwater had very good deals on Wechter guitars. I bought my first Wechter Nashville-tuned parlor. I loved it, and quickly realized that I would like to gig with one. That first one I bought didn't have on-board electronics, so when the sale was continued, I bought NV-5413E, the "E" referring to the on-board Fishman Presys+ system. I gave the other Wechter Nashville to a friend, and have had my NV-5413E ever since.

* If you're not that familiar with Nashville-tuned/high strung guitar, well, you may be more familiar with it than you think. Red Shea recorded "hi-string guitar" (as well as classical guitar and dobro) on Gordon Lightfoot's 1972 album, Don Quixote. Pink Floyd's "Hey You" and Kansas' "Dust in the Wind" are a couple of more examples of Nashville-tuned/high strung guitar. And then "Wild Horses" by the Stones was done with Keef on a 12-string and Mick Taylor playing Nashville tuning. Here is a video of me playing my Wechter Nashville parlor on St. Patrick's Day 2018. My wife and I were on our back deck, with our dog (who did her best to upstage me in the video).

10. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Parlour guitars had a bit of a resurgence about 20 years ago (at least in my hometown). A good parlour guitar is amazing. How can so much sound come out of such a little box? A mediocre parlour guitar generally has OK tone, but volume and dynamics are going to be lacking. I am a dreadnought fan (it's all about the bass for me) but a quality parlour guitar is on my list. To me, the best ones are the 0/1/2 series guitars from Martin. Vintage ones used to be cheap, but alas this is not the case anymore. Newer ones from good manufacturers (Martin, Larrivee) are not cheap, but worth the money IMO. Be aware that I am a bit of an acoustic guitar snob...

11. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

C74BC431-FF75-4DAB-BD8C-07842073102F.jpeg Here’s my used 1998 Froggy Bottom that I bought two years ago for a screaming deal.

It’s so sweet and has tremendous depth. A very full sound. I have Martin Retro strings on it.

I was going to buy a Taylor 812C then saw the Froggy on the floor on my way out of Dusty Strings in Seattle. The store had just put it out that morning. I was nervous that someone else would buy it that day. Came back three hours later with the cash.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  12. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Sorry my fault its a BP 500 EM :oops:

Greggorios and 24 track like this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve never owned a parlour guitar.
    I may need one.
    Guess I better get a parlour first.

14. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

I had long been on the hunt for a nice vintage Guild F-20 to no avail. I found an M-20 on Reverb a few years ago that had been sitting under someone's bed in Carmel, California...part of an estate. I bought it and had a neck reset done...had the bridge plate replaced with maple from an antique piano, new saddle. It is by far the one guitar that I am in love with and play it daily. While not 'technically' a 'parlor'.....it fits that criteria. A guy at the LTG forum has several and assisted me...he said 'you have to play small' which at the time I did not understand....and it is hard to explain. I love to sit with this M-20. It plays superbly....and has a sweet sound. Mine has a nice 1 11/16" nut as luck would have it (some are 1 5/9"). It is one of two acoustics that I have 'kept'....but this is the only one that I would never sell. These little boxes have a very different sound coming from a dread, OM, or more typically sized guitar...and some are immediately turned off. I love to sit and learn new stuff on this guitar...play small...concentrate...get comfortable. I almost never play my (very nice) dreadnaught these days in favor of this little guy. Here is my 1968 M-20...also my profile pic shows the headstock.
    [​IMG]

15. LGOberean

Bill, you're still spelling parlor with a "u"?!? :eek: Tell me again, just how long have you been a resident in the Lone Star State? :twisted:

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was just making a nod to the OP.:)
    I am a half-breed though.
    My Mom was British/Canadian, my Pop was a Californian.
    We moved to Austin when I was 9 1/2.
    I do sound like a Texan.
    I’ll totally cop to not being one, though.

17. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Eastman makes some excellent smaller body acoustics, parlor, OO etc., beautiful guitars, not cheap but well worth checking out.

18. LGOberean

I was just razzin' ya, but in truth I didn't realize you were a pre-teen when you came to Texas. I just remembered you had Canadian roots.

brookdalebill and 24 track like this.
  19. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I found this used Ibanez AVN9-OPN (where do they find those names). The marketting says it’s made of « thermo aged » wood (mahogany). I couldn’t say if this is better for the sound, but it sounds really good just like I expected from a little mahogany box. The real plus is that is is a very well made guitar with nice little details like binding, and a real bone nut and bridge, so there is nothing left to upgrade. Even when you look inside everything is beyond clean, without a drop of glue or mark. Really good production from Ibanez (China).

I was worried about intonation, because the seller had put 10-50’s and the high E was flat at the 12th fret by half a step (30 cents), almost unplayable. So I switched back to 12’s which seems to be the standard for those guitars, and now intonation is spot on (within 5 cents).

Really great guitar for the price or for any price. I could imagine myself in the future looking for something different like a real vintage parlour or more expensive like a luthier’s guitar, or a Vintage Gibson as shown above, or the Martin (which is 5 times more expensive). And there is the Taylor GS mini which is not a classic parlor guitar, but really good and well priced.

20. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, the pic:

7212EC00-86EB-4CD8-9E53-6F808652BB74.jpeg

howardlo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.