Parents-Do you curse around your kids?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Meister

'Good thoughts, good words, good deeds.' -- Bomi Bulsara

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hell no.

Damn, did it again.

When they were little, no. They're in their 30s now, and the goal is to not cuss in front of the grandkids. (Never do, actually, just kidding above).

rangercaster likes this.
  3. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

40 years of working in warehouses has provided me an interesting vocabulary. My kids are adults at this point but when they were young I made the effort to clean it up. I'm retired now and my wife would like me to clean it up so I'm trying.

4. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I try not curse, but I used to be guilty of using a certain expression to make a point when the likelyhood of something happening was nearly impossible. I would say "Chickens will fly outta my a$$ before that ever happens!" But I *thought* I had never uttered that phrase when my 4 yr. old daughter was within earshot.

So, one day while driving away from church, not 200 yards from the parking lot, my wife and I were discussing something where she thought something would happen; I forget what it even was. But I was convinced that it couldn't possibly happen, so I began "The chances of that happening are about as likely as........" and I stopped there. I thought I'd caught myself before I finished that phrase pretty well there, because our daughter was in the back seat of the truck. A peepy little voice from the back seat then said "Or what Daddy? Chickens will fly outta your a$$?

Funny how your kids can teach you lessons in life......

gregj1964, moosie and trev333 like this.
  5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Hell yes. Lots of crayons in the box, feel free to use them all

gregj1964 likes this.
  6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

No, We regard the home as a different space and try to cultivate civility and restraint

Harry Styron likes this.
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When my son was three, he was playing with his plastic barn and plastic cows, sheep, etc. It was Christmas morning, the lull after gift opening. My mom and I are talking quietly at the dining room table. In a moment of silence, we hear this little "****" (s-h-i-t) coming from my son. He was having trouble getting the animals to fit through the barn door.

Mom and I didn't say a word - we were pretty surprised, and trying not to smile. He realized what he'd done. He never looked at us, just continued playing, and muttered softly, as if to himself: "Chick... I said chick. ..... A farm animal."

My mom looked at me and said "you're gonna have your hands full with this one." She wasnt wrong...

Mr. Neutron and rangercaster like this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Enjoy them while you can. They grow up so quick so have good times outdoors, swimming, surfing, camping , music, spurts, camping, fishing whatever. Just walking a dog with them or teaching them how to ride a bike.
    I have two sons, one estranged, the other close, in their 30s and it was much more fun when they were youngsters in the 1990s. Enjoy them in the best years.

9. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

I think we all try our best not to curse around our children, but they just seem to hear and absorb everything regardless. While working in the hot attic last summer I slipped up and used the the word beavers build and low and behold later that evening my daughter asked me if I could fix one of her toys cause the d-a-m-n thing was broken. :confused:

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  10. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

#&$% NO!

I don't have kids. :D

11. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

To me, this is important. Home is where we teach our children the standard of behavior that we expect of ourselves.

How we depart from the home standards when we are out in the world gives our children insights into the way their parents negotiate and accommodate the public standards. We show ourselves on a varying scale to be hypocritical, flexible, rigid, tolerant, etc., according to the situations we encounter.

Bjackcity, ndcaster and Mr. Neutron like this.
  12. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just like the parents of the parents. It’s a tough pattern to break. Substance abuse and violence are often also there.

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I remember the first time I ever heard my dad cuss. He was watching a politician on tv, and I heard my dad struggle for words and finally say "that jackass."

Something happens the first time you hear something like that. You know people and propriety have limits that they sometimes can't control.

14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

No kids of my own, but nieces and nephews that I have had the pleasure of caring for ...
    A child will repeat anything they hear... I was driving with my nephew who's maybe 5-6 at the time ... get cut off by some idiot ... being me and a native New Yorker... of course, I let a couple choice words slip ...oops ...
    The kid goes home and tells his mom(my sweet and beautiful big sister)
    "Hey Mommy, Uncle R called the man a F****** A****** !!!!"
    For which I got a well deserved talking to ... and a story to tell 30+ years later

15. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

All my kids are 40+ years old so yes. On the other hand ..... never around my grandchildren.

16. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I don't think it's hypocritical at all. I tell my kids they can use the language they think is appropriate, say, with their friends, but home is a different space. there are lots of things I might do at hoe that i would not do in public, and there are things I do in public but don't do at home. My argument is different spaces have different rules and customs: I don't think that's being hypocritical, it's being sensitive to context

Bjackcity likes this.
  17. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I will not post a link for obvious reasons ... so if you've got a spare minute ... search a song called "The Universal Adjective" performed by country entertainers Pinkard and Bowden . ..

Genius ... and truth ...

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Fu*k no...

Well maybe... they are both Uni age

19. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Why not ? Its the way I talk.....I moderate my language when I am around people who might get offended.......Guess what ? My kids do the same....... They are all grown up now.

20. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Not when they were little! They're adults now, and I still try to not curse but they do slip out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.