Parents-Do you curse around your kids?

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
We did. Not often though. Heck the kid listened to rap music as a teenager, pretty much nothing he did not hear.

My mom swore like a trucker, everything except the F word, my dad not so much. I recall her one day at grammar school working a food sale with the other moms, with a cigarette in one hand and a coffee cup of brandy in the other. The ladies would have a snort whilst working. She was upset with a nun and someone else so she says, [email protected] to h#ll sister, that son of a b*tch..." etc. I was mortified and proud at the same time. She ascribed her colorful vocabulary to not being educated and coming from a rough neighborhood, though she was ladylike. She also gambled - poker and ponies.

My wife and I told our son, as our parents told us after slippping, do as we say and not as we do.

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
Where I grew up, the 'F word' was just a regular part of the language, used in all conversation. I moved away 40 years ago and soon changed my habits. Never cursed in front of the kids, and really, it's never appropriate. It's often the first piece of advice I give to new parents.

When I hear people curse I immediately think how limited their language must be. Which is also a pretty good measure of their intelligence (or lack thereof).

matmosphere

Tele-Afflicted
There are far worse things parents expose there kids to or allow there kids to do, but just like most parenting, I think a big part of it is how kids are exposed to things and actually talking with them about things.

Lonn

Friend of Leo's
Tried not to but slipped a few times. Almost always while driving.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
When I hear people curse I immediately think how limited their language must be. Which is also a pretty good measure of their intelligence (or lack thereof)

I remember reading something that stated that intelligent people tend to swear more, but that seems a pretty dubious claim, I think

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I tried to avoid it when they were young, and the same with the grandkids. I swore very little, if ever around the kids.

I do swear though, nearly always at myself as I grunt through a project or do something stupid, and at deer camp where it’s pretty common. My dog showed me just how common it must be for me some years back. I don’t remember just what I was doing but let loose in the kitchen and my dog came running in, looking at the floor to see what I’d dropped this time. It was rather eye opening and mildly embarrassing. My wife wholeheartedly agreed.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I as a rule do not.

I've slipped a few times, with traffic and hammer incidents :mad:, but, I've always tried to set an example of not swearing for them to hopefully follow, and for the most part, I've succeeded.

I have friends with which we casually exchange curses in routine discussion. And swearing is a big enough part of my everyday vocabulary that I internalize it, mentally, and I'm not proud to say that. It's a nasty habit that I hope to change.

But for the most part I've not sworn around my sons. They are now young adults, and I still don't.

What about you? I'm curious

I don’t

I brought this up once and a city living fellow was saying how a woman was yelling obscenities around her young children in the middle of the sidewalk and how it seemed like a normal occurrence and nothing was wrong with it

My observation is that this is not how it is in most parts of the country
It would definitely be out of place and unacceptable in about 90% of the country

Yes I know it’s just words but come on people

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I don't hold with foul language, and won't be around it. If you like to cuss up a storm that's up to you, but don't expect me to be your audience. Cursing around your kids disrespects you both.

geoff_in_nc

Friend of Leo's
I swear a lot, and do it around my kids though they now range from 17-30. They always knew growing up that swearing was not for kids, and wouldn't be tolerated. Only one swears at all (that I hear), and he's pretty mild.

I can say I don't think I've ever sworn AT them... Just near them. I don't swear around others generally because it's not my place to potentially offend someone who has different internal guides than me.

My wife has a shirt that says "I'm the F-bomb kinda mom". So you can guess.... She jokes she grew up with a "pirate mouth".