1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Parenting Win (Les Paul content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Despres, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

A number of years ago, I did some work for a friend and in thanks he gave me this Les Paul Studio he had. It is sort of an odd one, a 2007 I believe, limited edition sold at GC only, with metallic finish and brushed metal hardware. It was (and is today) in like-new condition. I played it a handful of times, one or two gigs, but when I got it was right when my most recent band stopped playing so it hasn't seen much action.

I thought I would just keep it hidden for a while and give it to my son if he gets into guitar and when he's old enough to appreciate it. That decision was probably 4 years ago, so there it sits under my bed. He had been bugging me to know what was in that case under the bed, so I told him it was a spare case for my Les Paul, and the other day I took the guitar out while he wasn't looking and made a show of opening the case to find it empty so he is no longer bugging me to see what's inside.

He's 9 now and getting into playing guitar - he has decided that my Les Paul is his favorite and wants to get one of his own when he gets bigger. I'm planning on giving it as a 13th birthday present if he is still into guitar, but I am really not sure how I'm going to wait that long...

The picture is my LP, which was my first 'real' guitar bought with paper route and dishwashing money when I was 12 or 13, and the one that lives under the bed.

Attached Files:

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

On delivery day - arrange for hidden camera to capture the reaction -
    "a Les Paul of my own???"
    Then, post them pics . . .
    :D

Peace - Deeve

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I'd give it to him for Christmas as I'd hate to think of him losing interest by age 13. It would also be good as a father-son thing to teach him rudimentary chords, tuning etc. and then see if that leads to lessons and beyond.
    He may be the next great talent and parents who encourage their children have a high success rate in many areas of life.

Wallo Tweed, stormsedge and Weazel like this.
  4. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

^ Agree. Why wait? I don't understand that.

5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

It would be a great Christmas present. It might be a nice way to ease out of 2020 for the both of you

Deeve, Tonetele and Jakedog like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Sweet! He's gonna be in to it whenever you decide to gift it.

((Looks a bit like the Tommy Thayer model Epiphone has out...very cool)).

7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Also agree. You're in effect taking away 4 years of him having that guitar. Give it to him already!! :D

Tonetele and Nick-O like this.
  8. Nick-O

Nick-O TDPRI Member

Makes no sense....as long as you are happy though

9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The only guitar-related thing I ever got from my dad was yelled at for being too loud, for growing my hair, for not having a "real" job...the typical stuff the rest of us Boomers enjoyed.

10. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Interesting thoughts on not waiting. Going to have to think a bit on that: I had arbitrarily picked 13 years old as a date many years ago - He wasn't even walking yet when I came up with the idea of saving it and giving it to him when he turns 13 - indeed, the picture I posted was probably taken in 2012, around the time he turned 1.

I did get him an SX mini-strat this year to get something with a short enough scale for him to be comfortable learning on. He also has access to the the half-dozen or so other guitars around the house, plus three great tube amps. If he loses interest in playing guitar, I don't think it will be for lack of equipment. I also have an Ibanez Artcore something or other that he claimed as 'his' around the time he was four, we've decided to add new pickups to it this year and I'm thinking santa might put some pickups and pots in his stocking, which would make a nice father-son project...

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  11. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, I'd do the deed "now", perhaps at the holiday. You can certainly keep a "string attached" should he lose interest, but having his own excellent instrument could very well be the incentive to continue to learn and play, perhaps for a lifetime. And since it's already in your stable, it's not going to cost you anything to make it available to him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.