Parasite

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

The first 45 minutes or so it is very comedic before turning into something altogether different. A big part of the critical praise for Parasite is how deftly and seamlessly it transitions between multiple genres -- comedy, thriller, family drama, social/political satire.

I was thrilled that Parasite won Best Picture but would have been similarly happy if Once Upon a Time in Hollywood had won. As with most Tarantino films, it gets better with repeated viewings.

Gardo likes this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Sometimes when you see a movie is Almost as important as the movie you see.

i’m sure my reaction to parasite would be tempered if I saw it tonight knowing that it won best picture.

But seeing it months and months ago and only because Ford versus the Ferrari was sold out and the start times were the same I was blown away.

And yes it is a comedy, among other things, and it’s hYsterically funny.

The huge gulf between the haves and the have Nots is stark and maybe a little trope-ish but then the added *spoiler alert* twist of the rich people , while being a little self-absorbed and oblivious, aren’t inherently awful. but the poor people are really awful and not nearly as nice as their affluent employers.

who to root for ? That’s where great directing and filmmaking come in.

Skully, sugarinthegourd and Lawdawg like this.
  3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I read pretty fast and my comprehension is good but I don't enjoy subtitles. I feel cheated because I have to sacrifice my enjoyment of the visual to absorb the story...

scrapyardblue and P Thought like this.
  4. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

I saw it in the theatre and thought it was fantastic. So happy to see it get its due.

cyclopean likes this.
  5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I got used to subtitled films in college. I took Film Appreciation my last quarter at Georgia Tech thinking at be an easy slam dunk to fill a remaining humanities requirement...HUGE mistake! Had to write multiple essays about the films!!! But watching the films was enjoyable/interesting, and we watched many foreign ones with subtitles in addition all the classics, e.g. Hitchcock, Birth of a Nation, etc.

I’m looking forward to viewing Parasite, but will wait until then to read the rest of the thread. I know nothing about the story and want to keep it that way for now!

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I went to school for 13 years and then went to university for 4+.

Subtitles ?

yep I can handle them.

but, I’m also somewhat on the ADHD spectrum so paying attention to more than one thing at a time is pretty easy for me. :lol:

cyclopean likes this.
  7. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I haven't seen the movie but reviewers who I respect are pumped about this movie. I bought the soundtrack on vinyl because it sounds great.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  8. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I can read subtitles or I can watch the movie. I can't do both.

9. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I notice this more and more, sometimes it's like the actors are just whispering/mumbling and the backing score is louder than them. Pair that with my wife's light sleeping and I haven't watched TV without subtitles in at least a decade.

10. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I felt the same way, yet I can't say that I was astonished it won so many awards. Personally, I wanted "Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood" to win the Best Picture Oscar, because I like the idea (and arguably the tradition) of a big Hollywood movie winning the big award, and it makes it even cooler that it's about Hollywood. The setting and the themes hit me in several sweet spots. That said, I have a lot of problems with the movie, including the time it wastes on the minutiae of the shooting of a television pilot and the construction and tone of the climactic scene (I'm okay with the way it altered history).

"Once Upon a Time..." is a seriously flawed film. "Parasite" is not. It's solid on all fronts -- writing, directing, acting, etc. -- and it's refreshingly unique. So it made sense that it won the big awards, given the competition.

What bothers me is the media coverage insisting that the Oscars must be this and that. It's like a resentful, immature child demanding that its parents be perfect and solve all problems for them. So what if the Oscars are traditionally Hollywood-centric and celebrate Hollywood -- that's why they exist, after all -- as well as excellence in filmmaking? Most other awards have much narrower lanes. Why can't the Oscars joyfully celebrate Hollywood history and tradition?

I was also perplexed by the media analysis of "Parasite." The film is about a confrontation between to social classes, that's clear. But I'm looking for someone to explain -- not just state -- how it is an indictment of class inequality and, as one critic put it, "capitalist rot."

Harry Styron and getbent like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm looking forward to seeing Parasite. I like movies where it's not good guys in white hats/bad guys in black hats.

12. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I get that. If a movie has subtitles, I'm much less likely to watch it. On top of the fact that it is a lot more work, having to read detracts from the cinematic experience. You have to focus on reading instead of just absorbing the words along with the visuals. And having seen English movies subtitled in a language I kind of understand (Spanish), I know how much is left out in the subtitles, in terms of both content and nuance. I don't really like dubbed movies, either, so the only option is to learn the language.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  13. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Fine example of burying the lead. Your nephew goes to college in South Korea?! There's got to be an interesting backstory there

14. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

If you stick with the subtitles, your brain adjusts. You can watch and read at the same time. It does take some getting used to but it does happen.

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I've not yet seen it, but will. One of my favourite all time movies has subs, so it doesn't bother me. The film is The Wages Of Fear (1953).

16. BigDaddyLH

Korean word of the day:

Aegyo
    A korean word that derives from the Chinese characters "love (ae)" and "beautiful (gyo)." The closest English translation of aegyo would be "winsome," defined by the Merriam Webster Dictionary as "generally pleasing and engaging often because of a childlike charm and innocence." Not surprisingly, aegyo is considered a feminine trait, generally attributed to women who can charm men and elders through a careful balance of sweetness, cuteness, poutiness, modesty, thoughtfulness, and submissiveness. A woman with aegyo knows to blush at dirty jokes rather than guffaw along with her mouth agape. A woman with aegyo knows to let out a modest and appealing squeal and grab tight her date's hand when watching a horror movie.
    [​IMG]

Skully likes this.
  17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

It took a few nights to get through it, but that is typical for any movie for me if I am watching it in the evening after supper...watch 30 minutes, fall asleep, repeat next evening, etc.

I liked it! I read subtitles with English speaking movies anyway, so that part was fine. I actually prefer subtitles to the alternative of overdubbing an audio track in a different language...hate that!

It was nice to see a different story...or at least one told in a different way.

As for Best Picture, it is the best I've seen from the nominees so far (to include Ford/Ferrari, 1917, Joker, some of the Irishman, and some of Hollywood).

18. BigDaddyLH

Saw it over the weekend. ... Awesome!... I don't know, as far as best picture went, how to compare it to the other film I really liked, 1917, because they are so different. I also saw half of The Irishman, but meh. Anyway, I'm not surprised I liked Parasite, but I am surprised I liked 1917 because I avoid war movies. Tie?

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Lots of Americans don't or won't tolerate subtitles well, as this thread shows.

And, y'all are cheating yourselves

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Subtitles can actually add to the movie. I saw Das Boot, an epic film about a U-boat in WWII in the original German with subtitles. I saw it after reading the book. The film carried the story line perfectly, avoiding the parts of the book that read like a U-boat technical manual. What the subtitles accomplished was to bring you on board and put you in the middle of the action. You were in a submarine where nobody spoke English. Once at sea you lose consciousness of the subtitles and become immersed in the discomfort, boredom, and the adrenaline rush of combat. I saw the same film dubbed into English a few years later. It was like watching any other movie. The film in German made you feel a part of it. It was exceptional movie making for sure.

blowtorch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.