1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Paranormal/Un explained things

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Twofingerlou, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Hanging out with some friends last night I mentioned the new Un solved mysteries podcast. I’ve never got into podcasts Until I heard about this one mentioned on a radio commercial the other day. Three episodes out so far, growing up watching the show I was more than intrigued. I’ve listened to them all but so far the most interesting one was the Ball Cemetery episode. It’s a cemetery in rural nebraska and people have been buried there since the mid/late 1800’s. No spoiler alerts here, but a handful of interesting stories to say the least that have allegedly happened to some folks there.

One thing led to another hanging out with my friends and after we started talking, some interesting stories were shared by things that have happened to us. As far as me personally I’ve had a few weird things happen that I can’t explain. One being a gal I was dating lost a family member. I hadn’t met the guy but he left behind a young daughter (about five at the time) and I had gone to the funeral. I lost my dad at the same age and it brought back some not so great memories seeing her stand up their viewing her dad.

Not long after he passed we were sitting around the girlfriends house and the smell of a cigar just over took the kitchen. This wasn’t a faint smell, this was like somebody lit a whole box of them. It lingered around for a minute or so and then just disappeared. There were a few of us sitting there, her and her dad said that smelled like so and so’s cigars! Guess he smoked cigars regularly. Ok that’s weird I thought!

Couple months went by and his wife wanted to sell his Harley she had in the shed. He hadn’t rode it in quite a while so she asked me if I wanted to buy it. So I eventually get time and go over one evening to check it out. I get it out of the shed knock the dust off and try to start it, the battery is dead. I check the battery and it was pretty old. I told her it’s probably best to just get a new battery, the lights would hardly come on. She agreed and I went to go get one. When I came back with the new battery I tried it once more for whatever reason and the damn thing started. That’s strike two for weirdness with all this!

So I ended up buying the bike and a little while after I had it I got a call from the GF. She said hey nobody is home but can you swing by my house and pick something up for me. She was at work or somebody else’s house I don’t remember exactly. I was out on the bike so I ride over. I go through the garage and into the kitchen, same kitchen were we smelled the cigar smoke. Took my keys and change out of my pocket and sat it on the hutch in the kitchen. I go to her room to look for whatever it was and was gone a few minutes. I come back out to grab my keys and change. My keys are there but my change is gone. Now I’ve got this total WTF feeling going one like why does this weird stuff keep happening. That was the last weird thing that ended up happening with that whole ordeal.

I’ve lost various family members and haven’t had anything weird happen after losing them. The only thing I can say is one of my grandmas and I bumped heads a lot when I was younger. She was a tough cookie to say the least. She passed away unexpectedly in her sleep about fourteen years ago or so.

After she died there was a good month or two where I just had this weird feeling. Like a un easy feeling and a feeling of being watched. There were nights laying in bed and the being watched feeling increased. A handful of times just sitting around watching TV and the hair on my arms would stand up. Nothing was ever out of place or lights flickering or any super weird stuff like that though. Not sure what ended up changing but it just went away one day.

A buddy’s wife’s story’s from her parents house they bought in the late 80’s and where she grew up in are far more intriguing than mine. For example a few of them have seen a guy in a top hat in the yard. Every dog they’ve ever had has always Excessive barked at the same spot in the corner of the basement. They took his daughter down there once who is three and she started laughing and waving in the same corner.

certainly some weird stuff!! What’s happened to you?

Flip G, ViciousDoctor and Torren61 like this.
  2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We moved into our new-to-us house in Idyllwild about three years ago. It was built in 1955, so we're told. My wife an I occasionally sleep in separate bedrooms. I mentioned to her that I occasionally smell cigarette smoke in my bedroom (neither of us smoke), and she responded she sometimes gets the smell of ladies perfume in hers... No flickering lights or disappearing keys, though.

Flip G, Telekarster, Torren61 and 3 others like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Back in the 70s, we went on vacation back to Wilburton Oklahoma to visit my mom, and her husband. We were there about three nights, planning to stay a week. My wife wakes me up about 2:00 am and says there's an old woman standing at the foot of the bed, I figure I'll just jump up and see what it's about, I kind of turned away getting out of bed, and my wife said the old lady just went down the hall into the bathroom. I ran down the hall, opened the bathroom door, and NOTHING. The window was locked from the inside so there wasn't anybody in there, and they couldn't get out without passing me, or going out the window, which was locked.

I went back to bed and said, honey you just had a dream, go back to sleep. I turned the light out, the wife says, get up and get the car loaded, we're going home! So, around about 4:00am we left out. We almost drove into a twister before we got to Okie City, but it veered off before we got to it. When we got home, someone asks how the vacation was? I start telling about how we were having a good time until my wife saw and old lady and we had to go home. My wife says, "you're just making that up!" To this day, she denies seeing the old lady, or that it was her idea to come home. That whole thing was just too weird for me.

Flip G, Uncle Bob, Torren61 and 2 others like this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe you dreamed her dreaming what she dreamed? Or something?

Anyway, also back in the ‘70s, we lived in an old house that was the doctor’s residence for the disused nearby country hospital. They opened a new hospital, and named it after the doctor who lived in our house for many years. They brought him in for the grand opening ceremony, and showed him around “his” old house. He went from room to room, reminiscing. Then he got to the bedroom I shared with my brother. He looked wistfully at the corner where my bed was, and sighed “and that’s where Mother died.” OK, no paranormal stuff, but 12-13 year old me was sure expecting some apparition to appear. Until the day we moved out.

5. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

I always liked paranormal threads, but unfortunately just don't have anything worth sharing.

6. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Preface this by saying I'm not superstitious at all. My childhood home in Illinois (in a small town that was an old coal mining community founded in the 1880s) was subject to strange noises (thuds, squeaks), unexplained opening/closing doors, objects falling: things of that nature... I always just shrugged it off as "old house" noise. When I was about 19, I was at a party and ran into one of the kids that lived in the house before my parents bought it. I mentioned this to him, and he got really weird. He pretty much validated that this happened while they lived there as well, and they thought the place was haunted. Also, this seemed to be an issue in other houses in that town. Life moved on, and I hadn't really thought about this since then.

My parents still live there.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I guarantee you if I had been the one doing the dreaming, I would not have been able to get my wife up and going at 4:00 in the morning. Nope she was the instigator of that whole deal. It's odd that she would never own up to it, I think it spooked her so bad either seeing, or dreaming she saw the old woman, she just blocked it out. My wife is VERY stable, and doesn't have room in her life for things like that. I have often remarked that if I myself could see just one ghost, it would completely cure my fear of the hereafter for good.

Dan German and Torren61 like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Isn't it amazing what imagination can do?

Mandocaster68 and darkwaters like this.
  9. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Inherited (from my wife) paranormal story which she swears is true:

Long before I met her, one of her early flatting arrangements involved sharing a Victorian-era villa. One night her and her flatmate were watching TV and she stops and says only to him: "Do you see what I see?"

His reply: "There's a man standing in the door"

She says they both saw the outline of a tall man standing in a nearby doorway.

Telekarster and Torren61 like this.
  10. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

If I were a better writer I could go in a more detail about this pair of orange socks, but in short: my socks disappear in the dryer all the time... I got nothing more exciting, unfortunately.

Twofingerlou and Dan German like this.
  11. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Myself and 3 friends watched a sizeable, very heavy, wall mounted mirror swing upwards about 45°. No easy explanation thats for sure. They say ghosts, I say unexplained.

Twofingerlou and Torren61 like this.
  12. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Every time one of these threads starts up, people tell their story and sure enough someone comes in and starts saying it's all "woo" or just imagination. They never have their own experiences, just tell me mine had nothing to do with anything paranormal except... they weren't there. I was. I know what happened to me cannot be explained as nothing out of the ordinary.

So I'll save my own tales for anyone interested enough to message me. Just not here.

13. Dan German

I am basically a skeptic. Heck, I grew up in the Show Me State. But I don’t doubt people’s personal experiences. There’s some weird **** out there. If someone tells me what they experienced, I take them at their word, and explanations are for another time. As a young man, I had an experience that many would classify as a “UFO encounter.” I don’t think it was, but I don’t have an alternative explanation. In my early twenties, I had a shockingly vivid dream the message of which has been periodically reinforced ever since, with no sign of abating. Again, I’m not going to assign a supernatural origin to it, but I also can’t explain it any other way, so I’ll just roll with it.

My skepticism kicks in when people start claiming something broader than personal experience. When I worked at Historic Sites, “ghostfinders” were the bane of my existence. At one fur trade fort I worked, more than one person “felt the spirits of the young men who died...” (It was a “fort” in name only; no battles were fought.) My favourite, though, was the woman who fairly vibrated, sensing “the many children who crossed to the other side” in a house on site. No children died there, but she was less than ten feet from the bed where I (the historic person I enacted) died, in the very year we were portraying. The bed was one of relatively few actual furniture artifacts. It was the actually the bed where “I” actually died. “I” was sitting in front of her. Wanker.

14. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I posted the below on a similar, prior thread. Still gives me the willies, the heebie jeebies, and the wim-wams! By the way, I am a very skeptical, show-me kind of person. I've emphasized logic, evidence, rethinking biases, and testing premises throughout my 35 years of college teaching. Even so....
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/bad-vibes-houses-or-buildings.776476/

After a divorce, shared a house with a male friend for about a year. It was a small clapboard house, formed around and expanded on its core settler's log cabin. A gloomy place, but functional and temporary.

Before my housemate moved in, I'd done so. Didn't yet have bedroom furniture, so one of my daughters (then about 8) was sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags beside me. (Other daughter on a sleepover w/ pals.) About 3 a.m., I felt a weird presence and sat up, only to see a "man" staring at me from the doorway. He looked like a dirty, angry, furtive Harvey Keitel. Face was seamed and scowling. Mushed-down black top hat, dirty black frock coat, dirty black pants, dirty black boots. I took a breath to yell at him, and he moved down the hall, past the doorway, toward the kitchen (one-and-a-half-storey house) and the basement door and stairs. I got up to see where he went and yell, and he was nowhere in sight. But the hallway was ice cold. This was during a warm night in mid-June. My daughter sat up suddenly gasping in wordless fear, nightmare-style, behind me. I comforted her, got her back to sleep, and rechecked the house. All the doors were locked, no mud in the hallway, no window screens ripped open, etc. Okay, maybe I dreamt it. I go back to sleep, tell my daughter nothing.

About a week later, with my daughter at her mom's for the week, I come home around dusk, lights off in the house, and see, as I enter the front door, this same "person" moving down the hallway, again toward the kitchen and basement door, glaring at me over his shoulder. Just a glimpse, and he's gone. I investigate again, and again the hallway is ice cold, as are the basement stairs and basement itself. Got THE creepiest feeling in the basement, into which I hadn't yet ventured.

Okay, so power of suggestion after that weird dream.

Two or three days later, same thing happens.

Hmm, okay. Maybe, amid the divorce turmoil, I'm losing it, or at least latching onto whatever bizarre consistencies I can imagine.

The ex-wife wants to get rid of the family dog. Glad to take him. He gets the near the front door, digs in his claws, won't go in. I have to drag him, and he's whimpering and shivering. Tries to bolt every chance he gets. Very unlike him, but, okay, strange house, he misses the kids, etc. He'll calm down there. He never does.

A week or so later, the same daughter who had been sleeping over when I first saw the "person" drops by unannounced. She'd forgotten a book she needs for school. It's late in the afternoon, toward dusk. I'm not home (days before cellphones). Getting no answer at the door, she looks in the front room's window and sees, sitting on the couch, a man whom she describes looking exactly like the one I've been seeing. I had not said a word to her about this. She said she got a creepy feeling and ran off. Called me terrified the moment she'd gotten back to her mom's. "He looked evil, Dad. Who is he?"

A week or so after that, my housemate finally moves in. I still haven't said a word of all this to him, partly because, selfishly, I don't want to scare him off. Need his help to pay the rent. I'm in my office that night, and he calls me in a panic from a friend's house down the street, to which he'd fled. He had seen the same "person" in the same place--in the hallway near the door to the basement--glaring at him, in the dusk. He too had felt an intense, clinging coldness when he went down there to investigate. I tell him, "Umm, uhh, weird," and have to head out of town for work. Selfishly, I don't tell him what my daughter and I had experienced. (Not proud of this.) He calls me again a few days later to say that he went downstairs one night (from his bedroom upstairs) to get something to eat, only to see the same "person" yet again in the same place, and that, thanks, but he'll be spending the summer at his parents' place, a few towns away. A mathematician and computer programmer, he is far from the type of person to dramatize, invent, or over-react to things, much less ghost stories.

Same person, same place, same coldness, experienced by three people independent of one another, over several months now.

I'm down the basement one day, out of quarters and thus forced to try to use the place's ancient washing machine and dryer. Feeling very hostilely watched and shivering from the weird cold. The dog is whining to get out by the front door while also barking his head off. It's mid-afternoon. And, at the same moment, both machines break. Wasn't a fuse, wasn't a wire. They just...stopped working.

And--you know what's coming--the door to the basement, at the top of the stairs, slams shut.

No wind, no dog near it, no one else in the house, house relatively level at that point so door not inclined to close itself.

I moved out of there as fast as I could.

Later, we find out that the house is one of the oldest in town. And that a murder had occurred in its basement. The colleague whom I'd sub-leased it from (he'd gotten into a grad program in a distant city) told me, "Yeah, I shoulda told you--that place is freakin' haunted." But he wouldn't tell me why he said so.

Two years later, a newbie on our softball team needs a ride home after practice. He directs me to the same house. Before he gets out of my car--this guy is an environmental engineer, by the way--he shudders and says, "I hate going in there. That place is freakin' haunted. I'm moving in with my girlfriend next week, and I don't even really like her." I ask him why he says so, and he replies, "'Cause there's some creepy old dirty ghost with muddy boots who lives in the basement, that's why. You might think I'm crazy, but I've seen him. Everybody else [who lives there now] has, too. We all just want to get the hell out."

Two last episodes. Different house, decades earlier, different state. These occurred in a brand new house. One with a neutral vibe.

Our dad was away on business, so my brother, sister, mom, and I were in my parents' bedroom watching TV one night. We suddenly hear what sounds like all the kitchen cabinets being opened. I'm the youngest by five years, but my brother's a coward, so I'm enlisted to go downstairs to see what's what. I take a baseball bat, and find every kitchen cabinet open to a perfect 90-degree angle. The house may have been settling, sure, but huh? It never happened again.

But a few months later, something else did.

I was in the bedroom I shared with my brother, reading in bed. My sister was in her room, on the phone. My dad was downstairs in the dining room, which he used as an office, where, in reality, he watched TV 99% of the time. No one else is home. It's winter. All the doors and windows are shut. The neighborhood is quiet. We hear a woman's voice in or near the stairs (two-storey, suburban, faux Colonial house). It's calling my dad's name, sadly. My sister gets off the phone and comes into the hall at the top of the stairs, I join her, my dad turns off the TV and comes to the bottom of the stairs. We're looking at each other, not saying a word, and we hear his name being called several times more. Suddenly my dad says with a gasp, "My God--that's my mother's voice," and breaks into sobs.

She had died 36 years before.

I don't know how to explain this, other than to quote Mr. Dylan.
    In the day of the confession
    We cannot mock the soul
    'Cause when there's too much of nothin'
    No one has control
    Say hello to Valerie
    Say hello to Vivian
    Send 'em all my salary
    On the waters of oblivion

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Ironwolf, cj11l, CWP0126 and 4 others like this.
  15. Dan German

upload_2021-3-7_22-23-46.png

Otis Fine, Uncle Bob, CWP0126 and 4 others like this.
  16. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Wow that’s some crazy stuff, thanks for sharing!!

Telekarster likes this.
  17. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

I've had many unexplained experiences, never felt any were paranormal.
    To quote Elvis Costello, "Imagination Is A Powerful Deceiver".

Torren61 likes this.
  18. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My 13yo son. He's not normal and I can't find an explanation for the stupid stuff he does.

Slip Kid and adamp824 like this.
  19. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I told this experience the last time this type of thread came up, but here it is again:

I was about seven or eight probably, laying in bed at night. I woke up in the middle of the night and the moon was shining brightly. I looked out my window at the cornfield that was across the street from behind our house at the time, and I see a woman dressed in all white floating above the cornfield.

I watched her for a while and then she suddenly took the form of a white dog and started running toward my house. When she reached the back sliding door, she disappeared.

The next day, I’m playing with the neighbor kids at the next door neighbor’s house. As we’re playing, a white dog runs by seemingly out of nowhere. We chased the dog. The dog turned the corner of their house. We turned the corner of their house less than a second later and the dog was gone.

20. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

The paranormal occurrence I'm dealing with right now is how hard it is to sell a real 65 Tremolux head+cab.

Telekarster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.