1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Paranormal Offset Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by capgun, Jan 18, 2021.

1. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

So, I just ordered one. Had been waiting to see if one popped up locally and it just never materialized. Plus Sweetwater is always a good experience. Surf green. Can’t wait.

Capgun

2. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Can’t wait to see it and hear a review!

montereyjack66 likes this.
  3. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Congratulations! I had a surf green Squier Jaguar...I loved how it looked, the body was super comfortable to play, the neck was great...just couldn't bond with the sound. Flipped it for (naturally) a Tele. The offset body with Tele features is really appealing.

capgun and TeleUpNorth like this.
  4. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Keep us posted!! That should be great in Surf Green!

5. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Post a pic! Can't wait to see it

oldfish likes this.
  6. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

Always loved the offset body Fenders. I have a hard time calling it a Tele, but whatever...I still want one.

7. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

I’m thinking about ordering the exact same guitar from Sweetwater, don’t keep us hanging! :)

8. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

Thought I’d check back in while waiting for new tires to be installed.

I’ve owned a few Teles in the past and this thing does not disappoint. I’ll take some pictures later and give a better review, but it’s a definite winner.

I’ve already sold the Cyclone and Super Sonic I got recently after getting this.

Capgun

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  9. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods TDPRI Member

Is anyone else Jonesin' for a photo?

Congrats!

oldfish and guitarist232345 like this.
  10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I just noticed that it is the only one of the Paranormal series still listed on the Squier/Fender web site. Like maybe they did away with the rest.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  11. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

pics pls

12. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

I briefly owned an ex-demo in Natural. It played great- but for me just too lightweight.
    The idea was to part it out and marry the body with an Am Pro neck I'd picked up, but the (lack of) weight put me off.

Nice guitar, very nicely finished- great modding platform. Enjoy.

13. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

8900B90C-8C44-4F42-9D1D-A9F3E8702F76.jpeg Here’s a quick photo before I head out of the house today. It is light weight like BerkshireDuncan says, but I don’t find it too light. And does it sound like a tele? YES! I love this thing.

Capgun

14. BerkshireDuncan

Telemasters rock!
    I built my Partscaster for a gigging guitar. For a gentleman of 'stature' such as myself, a standard Tele body doesn't hang well when standing and I've always loved the ergonomics of Jazzmasters. What's not to love?

Burn Yesterday and capgun like this.
  15. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

Wow, just went to verify and you are right. And they only have the natural finish for this one. Glad I got one when I did.

Capgun

backporchmusic likes this.
  16. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting. I see the four that Sweetwater has in stock are at least 7lb 10 oz (all are just surf green - I no longer see any in natural, at least not at Sweetwater).

I know the weight on them varies, but do you think yours was significantly lighter than 7 lb 10 oz? I seem to recall that when Sweetwater did have the natural ones, they actually weighed a bit more, like I recall none were under 8 lbs, and most were a bit over that.

Just trying to get some clarification on what the range is that these all actually weigh.

Edited to add - what do you all consider heavy or light? I've had a couple of aftermarket paulownia bodies that made for Teles that were under or around 6 lbs, and those are definitely light!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  17. BerkshireDuncan

Hi 11 Gauge, sorry- I didn't ever weigh it.

I've owned a number of Squier, MIM and MIA JazzMasters over the years and really love the ergos, so my plan was to build a Partscaster Telemaster. I bought the Paranormal Offset to part out as the cheapest and easiest route to a professionally finished body (great colour too!)

Unfortunately the light weight, lack of JM trem weight, plus locking F tuners made my Prototype neck-heavy. Rather than trash a perfectly good guitar I flipped it and bought a Guitarbuild (UK) 3pc Alder body and finished it in Tru Oil. Very happy with it!

[​IMG]

18. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

Yeah, I got mine from Sweetwater and I chose the lightest one they had at the time. It was low 7’s. I don’t have any plans to mod it though so mine balances pretty good.

Capgun

19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I put a Reverend Buckshot neck on a GFS paulownia Tele body, and that neck has locking tuners, and I get some neck droop from it.

Funny thing is these Paranormal Offsets are poplar, right? I've got a MIM Tele (older, mid-90's) w/a poplar body, and it's on the medium to heavy weight side, and same thing for the GFS poplar body that I've got. Really only my old MIM Nashville Tele (alder) is noticeably more heavy.

Well, I'm guessing that Fender/Squier/etc. are probably loosely defining poplar/alder/etc., and they are probably using different species for some of them, hence all the variation.

I see the new Paranormal Cabronita Thinline is roughly a pound lighter than the Offset, but it's also poplar. Maybe not the best idea having a semi-hollow guitar with lighter wood!

20. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

And..... the honeymoon phase is over. I’ll probably be moving this along to get an actual Tele shape or some lower end Gretsch. It sounds great, but in the end, it’s just not for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.